Miss England 2008?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
a size 16 in england is equivalent to a size 12 in the US, and at 5'10" there's a good chance she's at a healthy weight. if you use the hotly debated BMI method, as long as she's under 173 pounds, she could be very healthy. the most important thing, health wise, is that she exercises, eats well, etc. she's not obese by any standard, maybe not even overweight.
Snoozan, I know this is a very sensitive subject for you given your recent substantial weight loss. Let's be serious, the girl is gorgeous; but she is overweight. Her stated weight is clearly a lie. I am a size 12-14 in US sizes and if we were to stand next to each other I guarantee you I'd look as scrawny as Irish next to her. Since I am 5'9" and weigh about 176 I can only assume she is lying.

I'm glad she won; but she is overweight and she is bordering on obese. If she lived here she would be a candidate for that wretched reality show The Biggest Loser.

Her stated weight is 174 pounds. Healthy weight range for her height is 139-173 pounds, she is clearly pushing the upper limit of that range. According to this calculator she is in just into the overweight range. But, anything that moves the 'desirable' away from the borderline skeletal is OK with me.
I think her stated weight is bollocks! I'm 5'9" and weigh 176 and am nowhere near that curvy or meaty anywhere. My guess is she is closer to 200 lbs. Thunder thighs not withstanding her face is absolutely gorgeous! If she looks that good now, at 50 men will still be drooling after her.

Numbers notwithstanding, curvy is one thing and while she's not obese, to my eye, she looks overweight.
She looks overweight because she is overweight. I agree with the OP that she has a beautiful face.

I always feel I'm bias about weight issues given I'm particularly thin, but to be perfectly honest...
I think she looks like an ugly cow.
:eek: To each his own; but ugly she is not! You may not like plump women but she has a classic, wholesome beauty.

You are of course entitled to your silly little opinion; but before you speak so harshly about anyones physique you would do well to remember your own figure flaws. :12: Bluntly put, I've seen photos of those recently released from Auschwitz who are meatier and healthier looking than you are.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Miss Surrey is overweight. She is also 16, and an overweight 16 year old is likely to put on even more weight as they stop growing. Her weight does not appear to be distributed as muscle, rather it is simply fat. She has a weight problem, a serious one.

The message presented in sections of the UK press is that it is perfectly okay to be like Miss Surrey and that being her weight is no problem. The message that we should be getting across is that overweight, particularly in a person just 16 years old, is a serious health problem. Okay the fashion for stick-thin models is wrong, but so too is this.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The message presented in sections of the UK press is that it is perfectly okay to be like Miss Surrey and that being her weight is no problem. The message that we should be getting across is that overweight, particularly in a person just 16 years old, is a serious health problem. Okay the fashion for stick-thin models is wrong, but so too is this.

Thanks, Jason...that's exactly the question this article raised in my mind. I appreciate your thoughtful and tactful response; it's a welcome contrast to the rude remarks on the girl's ugliness. :rolleyes:

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think she looks like an ugly cow.

Lots of posters have suggested that this is an offensive comment. In Britain and Ireland it really isn't all that offensive. There's a long tradition of jocular insults, very much alive in teenspeak, and while I'm not saying ugly cow is a nice thing to call someone it really isn't such a big deal within the British Isles discourse community.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
A quick note to some people: muscle weighs more than fat. A person of mass X can weigh more than a person of mass X+1, and vice versa.

Have you been taking science classes from the fundies?

Weight is a measure of force, equal to mass * acceleration due to gravitational attraction...which is essentially constant on the earth's surface.

Ergo, any mass X will always, by definition, weigh less than mass X+1.

(I know you likely meant BMI, old chap...I just feel pedantic today. :biggrin1:)

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media

Have you been taking science classes from the fundies?

Weight is a measure of force, equal to mass * acceleration due to gravitational attraction...which is essentially constant on the earth's surface.

Ergo, any mass X will always, by definition, weigh less than mass X+1.

(I know you likely meant BMI, old chap...I just feel pedantic today. :biggrin1:)

Dear sir, I never, ever, ever make mista-... JESUS CHRIST it's a lion, get in the car!

Yeh, yeh, I got my vocabulary mixed up, but I hope my point is still understood. :tongue:

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Snoozan, I know this is a very sensitive subject for you given your recent substantial weight loss. Let's be serious, the girl is gorgeous; but she is overweight. Her stated weight is clearly a lie. I am a size 12-14 in US sizes and if we were to stand next to each other I guarantee you I'd look as scrawny as Irish next to her. Since I am 5'9" and weigh about 176 I can only assume she is lying.

Yes, I am very sensitive about this subject and I will continue to argue with men who call overweight women cows, ugly, fat, unfit, etc. even when I'm a size 6 (US).
She's also a size 12-14 US and she's an inch taller than you. I couldn't make the judgement of your versus her unless I saw you both in person or in photo standing next to each other wearing the same thing. Like I said, the camera adds weight. I don't think her stated weight is a lie. You may just carry weight differently than she does.

This is a plus-size model in the same size range as Miss Surrey and she doesn't look all that smaller in a lot of photos (many of which have probably been photoshopped to slim her down a bit):

Liz - Plus Size Model

Miss Surrey is overweight. She is also 16, and an overweight 16 year old is likely to put on even more weight as they stop growing. Her weight does not appear to be distributed as muscle, rather it is simply fat. She has a weight problem, a serious one.

This is a good point, and one that bears some thought. Overweight children turn into obese adults. Girls who, at 15 or 16, are just a little overweight are at much higher risk of being obese as adults. Still, they can be beautiful and fit their whole lives if they are aware of this fact and take care of themselves.

Even though we know her weight (maybe) we don't know her fitness level, body fat percentage, or lean body mass. Because of that, there's no way to how out of shape and at risk for health problems she is. However, she's doing a lot of young women good who aren't able to be what every other girl in that contest is. What we need to do is put less stress on what these girls look like and more on what they are doing to stay fit and healthy. You can be healthy and still be what a lot people think is overweight, fat, or obese. The best person to guage your overall fitness is a doctor or a fitness professional. People have a distorted view of weight and can't be trusted to make what are ultimately medical judgements.

The message presented in sections of the UK press is that it is perfectly okay to be like Miss Surrey and that being her weight is no problem. The message that we should be getting across is that overweight, particularly in a person just 16 years old, is a serious health problem.
Yes, if we're assuming that she's lying about her weight and she doesn't exercise. If she isn't lying about her weight and she does exercise, then shall we have her lose 3 pounds so she's healthy? Or should the winners be less extreme in both directions? Say, 5'10" and 150 pounds, which is a reasonable, well-proportioned weight for a woman who is of medium frame and moderately fit.

I agree there's a fine line between encouraging girls to embrace and accept who they are and making it okay for girls to not to keep themselves fit. I'm not sure how to make the distinction.

This also reminds me of the Kirstie Alley fiasco when she debuted her Jenny Craig weight loss at 145 pounds looking more like she was pushing 185. Who knows what she really weighed.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
A quick note to some people: muscle weighs more than fat. A person of mass X can weigh more than a person of mass X+1, and vice versa.

No, BMI would only relate height and weight.
I think our Anguish Fwend must mean 'displacement' or 'physical volume' or something like that.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
No, BMI would only relate height and weight.
I think our Anguish Fwend must mean 'displacement' or 'physical volume' or something like that.

He meant BMI.

A person with a BMI of 20 could very easily outweigh a person with BMI of 21...and vice versa.

What, do I gots a bullseye on my ass today? :biggrin1:

I dunno...you been playing butt-darts again?

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
He meant BMI.
No, he didn't.

A person with a BMI of 20 could very easily outweigh a person with BMI of 21...and vice versa.
True, but irrelevant.
For that matter, a person with a BMI of 20 could very easily outweigh a person with a BMI of even 30, depending on height. That's not the point.
Two people of a given height could have the same BMI and have very different shapes -- some, according to the principle that N_S was expressing, being relatively compact because heavily muscular, some less so, because substantially fatter.
And the more muscular person, at that height, would actually displace less space or occupy less volume.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I was thinking about this thread... I'm 5'6 and 168 pounds. I'm going to post a picture of me comparing to her. It's kinda impossible that she is only 173 pounds.