Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
First, if anyone reading this has not heard about the answers given by contestants in the Miss USA pageant to the question "Should evolution be taught in schools?", watch a video of samples, or at least read a news report, such as this one.

So now that we are all up on the story, we can move on to what I really started this thread for, namely this video, in which Miss USA contestants answer the question "Should math be taught in schools?"

Please notice, by the way, that a banner in the video and the description accompanying it make reference to "the original Miss USA evolution video" and provide links to it, and that the "contestants" do not look anything like contestants in beauty pageants. These should be clues to the intent of the video (which eluded most of the people posting comments). :rolleyes:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The passage below, concerning the responses of the actual Miss USA contestants to the question "Should evolution be taught in schools?", is taken (faulty punctuation and all) from an article in the Christian Post:

While many contestants expressed an openness to include evolution in public schools, one contestant – Miss Kentucky Kia Ben-et Hampton – said that evolution should not be taught, alluding to the differing opinions expressed in the scientific and religious communities.

Miss Mississippi Keeley Patterson discredited evolution in her answer. "I think evolution should be taught as what it is; it's a theory, so I don't think it should be taught as fact."

A few other contestants including Miss Nebraska Haley Jo Herold, Miss Alaska Jessica Chuckran and Miss New Hampshire LacyJane Folger answered affirmatively, but expressed their desire to see the other side – such as creationism – given equal time in the classroom.

Chuckran said in her answer, "I think it's necessary that evolution is taught in schools ... However, personally, I do not believe in evolution. I believe that each one of us were (sic) created for a purpose by God and that just gives my life so much more direction and meaning."

Miss North Carolina Brittany York responded, "I think it's great to get both sides of the story. I'm personally a Christian so I believe the Bible's version but you can't push opinions or beliefs on children so they need to know every side that's out there. So yes, I do believe that (evolution) should be taught but so should the other side of the story."

D_Count_VonDickskin

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
"I think evolution should be taught as what it is; it's a theory, so I don't think it should be taught as fact

Best line ever, especially since evolution is a scientific fact. Even people I know who are all about creationism state that evolution is just part of Gods plan.

Well I won't say anything else otherwise this will turn into a religious thread.

Nice post though.

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
Best line ever, especially since evolution is a scientific fact. Even people I know who are all about creationism state that evolution is just part of Gods plan.

Well I won't say anything else otherwise this will turn into a religious thread.

Nice post though.

are you aware that the scientific community dosn't count evolution as fact yet
you probubly arn't aware of that oryou wouldn't go spouting off that it is 'fact'
it's a fact that living creatures evolve but specifically reguarding humanity it's only declared fact by people who are afraid to be open minded