Mississippi and Virginia now GOP controlled

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Q Vee, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Q Vee

Q Vee New Member

Albums:
    Republicans now control both the Legislatures and the Governor Seats of Virginia and Mississippi. For those who understand this better than I, please help me understand, with the examples of Wisconsin, and I believe Ohio and others, how is it this is still happening?

2. houtx48

Gold Member

The wackos are getting out the voters for one.

3. wappingite

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Why are you surprised? It's the South, and it's a fucked up placed controlled by religion, hate and fear. They are 50 years behind the rest of the western world in their outlook. They vote against their personal interests in order to keep the status quo (ie white people in power). They are happy as long as there is NASCAR to watch and a Walmart to shop at.

Be thankful you live in New England where you can make a quicker run to the border when the Bible Belt crazies take over. :rolleyes:

4. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    What makes you think the border will be open? Only those with their own Mukluks will permitted entry. Those that know what a mukluk is will be put on a waiting list. The rest of you are SOL.

Observing American's and their politics is like watching a frog slowly come to a boil in a pot of water.

5. Perados

Gold Member

Albums:
    So true :biggrin1:

Mukluk = soft boot, traditionaly made out of raindeer skin

To easy with wikipedia

#5 Perados, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  6. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Mississippi doesn't surprise me. At its core, it's probably one of the most reactionary states in the union. Virginia, on the other hand, seems to be going through something of an identity crisis. The parts around DC are becoming much more progressive, as most of the population is from somewhere else. But there's still a hard-core conservatism throughout most of the state, especially to the south and west.

I don't know what the voters' choices were, but it's possible that the Republican choices were merely the best of a bad bargain.

7. wappingite

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Wasn't it Nancy Pfotenhauer, on McCain and Palin's team in the last election who refered to it conservative part of the state as the "Real Virginia"? The demographic shifts happening in many parts of the South are interesting to watch...some people refer to it as the Urban Archipelago of smaller blue urban regions in a sea of Red conservatism. So places like northern VA, the Research Triangle in NC, Austin in TX, etc attract the "creative class" progressive and liberal type people from other regions of the country and it's shifting the status quo at a state level and causing resentment.. But the US is a country with a history of migrations, so it will sort itself out. There have always been "outsiders"

8. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh yeah: I'd forgotten that little turd of wisdom :rolleyes:

It's worth remembering that VA, IN and NC all went for Obama in '08.

9. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    What you can say about Virginia -- you can say about many States. In Missouri -- it's ALWAYS St. Louis, Kansas City and Columbia VS the rest of the State. In Pennsylvania -- it's Pittsburgh and Philly (and pockets of mining & manufacturing towns like Scranton/Hazelton etc. VS the rest of the State. In Illinois it's Chicago VS the rest of the State. It seems as though rural and suburbanite "utopias" are always at odds with the harsh realities of higher urban concentrations of people. I got a BIG kick in 2004 out of some yahoo on Fox pointing to a map of all the counties that went for Bush and those that went for Kerry. "Clearly," he said, "MOST of the country really wants Bush as President!" And THAT my friends is how many Republicans see the world: The entire STATES of Wyoming, Utah, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana & ALASKA combined have less population than Los Angeles COUNTY! That's a tiny little speck of blue carrying more weight than 10's of millions of square miles of red! --- but..........the illusion by land area is that "most of the country wanted President Bush!"

Coming from Kansas -- I like the "purple" maps which show areas of the country where the votes between conservatives and progressives show a fairer (and closer) balance rather than a winner take all mentality. Yet ONE more reason to get rid of the damned "winner take all" electoral college! My vote in Kansas should count JUST as equally as a voter from Colorado Springs or Orange County, CA!!

10. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    ..........and by the way.........the reason why Ohio and Florida are always close in vote totals is the large of number of urban areas both states have scattered throughout the state!

Draft saved Draft deleted