Mistakes Men Make In Dating Site Profiles

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Kevbo, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Kevbo

Kevbo Member

What major mistakes do guys make when they create an online profile at Match.com or similar sites?

2. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

I had my online dating profile proofread by 2 female friends I trusted. A very good decision, as it turned out.

3. Patchos

Gold Member

Post your profile here and we'll tell you what's wrong with it.

4. D_Sparroe Spongecaques

I agree with Patchos......

Two of the worst imo is..

'I love going out and having a laugh with my mates'=P!sshead
    'I love watching a dvd on the sofa with a glass of wine'=couch potato wino

and one that makes me grrrrrrr is

'My mates say i'm funny,attractive,a right laugh,easy to get on with'=so date your mates then!!

5. L_Lynn

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Talking about your ex in a negative way.
    Poor grammar/spelling and lack of punctuation.
    Typing in all caps.

(I know these seems so obvious but I saw them over and over!)

6. D_Sparroe Spongecaques

I agree with Patchos.....but

Two of the worst imo are...

'I love going out and having a laugh with my mates'=p!sshead
    'I love having a glass of wine and watching a dvd on the sofa'=couch potato wino

and the one that makes me grrrrr is

' A message from my mates....He/she is gorgeous,funny,easy to get with,kind,caring etc etc so snap him/her up guys!!' =So if she/he is so f'kin great then why didnt you snap him/her up yourself????

7. curious_angel

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Major mistakes can be amusing, but for all the wrong reasons. The biggest for me is very poor grammar, closely followed by recounting bitter experiences with an ex, family members, etc., or just life in general.

I'm always surprised at how specific some people's requirements are. When a guy states that he is "easy going", but is looking for a 5'5" brunette with size 5 feet, green eyes and a passion for fly fishing, I'm always suspicious.

So my top tips are to try and give the impression that you're:
    1. vaguely interested in your potential date being able to understand what the hell you're talking about,
    2. unlikely to commit suicide anytime soon, but especially prior to, or during your first date,
    3. looking to meet someone new and not a replica of your ex. Stalkers on a mission to take revenge on a lookie-likey ex are such a bore. :eek::biggrin1:

8. Enid

Gold Member

Albums:
    My home is wherever reality seems elastic and the
    Good points made so far.

My additions:

Be patient. Don't bitch about e-mail tag. Seriously, there are crazies out there, male and female alike. Slow down. Sometimes a few emails and a few phone calls back and forth is necessary to the establish a sense of comfort.

Don't use tiny cell phone pictures. Best not to use pictures with other people cropped out either.

Get the women interested in your ad somehow. Titles like "Looking for fun", while in the mind of most people can be interpreted in a provocative manner, are generally boring and generic. Some titles do a good job of not being generic, such as one I've seen that reads "Hot coffee" or another that reads "My laundry list". They give no insight to what the person might be like, but grab attention amongst the sea of people looking for someone. Another good one I've seen reads "I am ridiculously silly, first off".

Give an idea of your personality, but don't be long-winded about it. If it's a ten page essay on your life, people will probably click the 'back' button on their browser and read other ads instead. Come up with a quick hook for the title and continue that thought for a line or two inside the ad, then give a basic run-down on who you are. What are two or three of your hobbies, do you prefer going out and partying or curling up on a blanket on the couch, stuff like that.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

#8 Enid, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  9. D_Sparroe Spongecaques

See,we have to make do with the British guys,poor us,and so i think the majority of them are the same (set in their ways over the age of 30 IF we're lucky)......old fat guys with combovers expecting a lass of about 20 who looks like a chuffin Barbie doll.....ermmm i don't think so mate!

I hate pics where.... the guy had a soddin fish in his hands=is that the only hobby Brit guys have or summat????

top off flexing his 'muscles'=errrm do you really think that we wanna see you moobs???

pics with lots of his pals= right,go on then,which is you?:rolleyes:

holding a pint=oooh classy lad you are!

stood next to a posh car=okkkkkk! so what car do you really have? A tatty old rust bucket cos that bluddy car sure as hell aint yours!!!

10. andrew999999999

andrew999999999 Active Member

Albums:
    Gone.

#10 andrew999999999, Aug 11, 2010
  11. D_Sparroe Spongecaques

This isnt a dating site...is it?:eek:

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/I wasnt being sarky,just sayin,besides,it looks ok to me

#11 D_Sparroe Spongecaques, Aug 11, 2010
  12. andrew999999999

andrew999999999 Active Member

Albums:
    True, my mistake. Removed post.

13. willow78

Gold Member

Albums:
    being honest :smile:

14. D_Sandy_Crotch

D_Sandy_Crotch Account Disabled

God, where do I start? :biggrin1:

On a personal level

Bad spelling and grammar.
    Lots of exclaimation marks after every sentence which try to llustrate how totally kerrrazzzy they are.
    Lots of sporty pics. There seems to be a lot of cycling pics taken on top of mountains/hills on British dating sites.. it's like an epidemic or something.
    DVD and bottle of wine natch. I swear I read this on 10 profiles in a row once.
    Passive/ aggressive statements. e.g I am an easygoing friendly guy but don't tolerate timewasters, players, psychos etc
    Men who look jaded in their 40s but put their ideal age range for their match a good 10 years younger than themselves :rolleyes:

I could go on..

15. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Personally I cannot stand pix that are so old as to no longer represent what he looks like, or text adding or subtracting anything more than 15% to one's actual height, weight, age, etc. Pix taken at Disney, in front of the Eiffel Tower or any other obvious vacation pic really turns me off: ditto in the extreme pix taken with his car or showing off with other displays of unleashed materialism.

Grammar, spelling and punctuation always separate the dumbasses from quality guys, as do complete sentences. Maybe it's just a gay thing, but I've never seen a personal ad that describes an ex, which would be just too terrible. In fact, most any description of the past instead of a positive projection into the future sounds pointless and absurd and more than a little bitter :cool:

Humor really does count, especially when it's entirely absent from the ad (bad bad bad). I also never respond to nor approach anyone who self-describes as VGL, D&D-Free or anything that has UB2 in it: there's an indescribably arrogance in those terms.

16. Kevbo

Kevbo Member

Appreciate the comments, everyone. I haven't used my profile in a while but I'll still surf through Match.com sometimes just to see who's in my area. I could write a dissertation on mistakes women make in *their* profiles :)

17. hung_proper1978

Albums:
    I have learned DO NOT put a picture of you with another women..even if it's your mother, sister, cousin, female friend.... leave them out.

18. EllieP

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm so glad I wasn't single when online matchup services came in vogue. I don't know if I would have ever tried any, but I know at some points during my singlehood I was desperate enough to try anything.

Sorry I can't tell you what to do because I've never been on such sites and seen what's there. But good luck with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted