Mitt Romney quits

D

deleted213967

I am not a registered Republican but I acknowledge that the GOP is a big tent indeed, under which there are (were?) good people with good ideas and principles.

I am convinced that W and his clique did to the GOP what child abuse scandals did to the Catholic Church in the US.

Now when you hear "Catholic" you think "pedophile", you don't think about decent, self-effacing neighborhood priests who keep underprivileged kids off the streets.

By the same token, when I hear GOP now, I think Enron, Abu Ghraib, $200m firing packages for shitty CEOs, massive national debt, oil dependency, hatred towards the US, ...

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A small comment:

Someone said it was "devious" of him to merely suspend his campaign (as opposed, presumably, to ending it outright.) That's not really devious; it's more of a legal technicality. There are FEC requirements that have to be satisfied before one can end a campaign, so it's not uncommon to hear candidates using the word "suspend" to signal their exit from the race before they're done with all the FEC paperwork.

John Edwards (source) and Jim Gilmore (source) also "suspended" their campaigns, as did Al Gore in 1988 (source).

mjcp

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I could never have voted for Romney, but I would have fucked him. Mormon boys make the best bottoms.

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
McCain's gonna pick Huckabee to balance the ticket. I don't think there's a chance in hell he'll tap Romney. They loathe each other. Which actually makes me respect McCain.

Ugh, bearing witness to Romney pulling a 180 on just about every major issue in the span of 5 years simply because what was politically expedient to become governor of Massachusetts wasn't to become President... so fucking patronizing and insulting to the intelligence.

Here's hoping Hillary comes to her senses quickly wrt what's best for the Dem Party. Maybe after Obama cleans up in the contests this weekend and next Tuesday. If they take this all the way to a brokered convention its going to put whichever one of them winds up getting the nomination at a disadvantage against a McCain who's been able to focus solely on the general election for a couple months.

It's going to be interesting to say the least.

Obama v. McCain in the title bout!

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
[Mitt Romney's] disgrace is another symptom of the erosion of the influence of the Ignorant Bigots Club. I am looking forward to many of them not bothering to vote in November.

I sincerely hope you are correct.

I'm quite surprised, though. I thought he'd slug it out a while longer.

Agreed. I wonder what's he's up to.

In any case, he is one slimely SOB and I hope he never achieves high office.

Youre learning what we people of Massachusetts learned After he was elected......

Right. Which makes it all the more surprising that he won the Republican primary in Mass.

To everyone who thinks that the Hannity, Limbaugh, Levin, Coulter, Bush, et al. type conservatives are dying out: I hope you're right but I doubt it. Evil never dies. Plus, if I have faith in anything, it's the stupidity of the general public. I have always thought that the popularity and influence of these ultra-conservative nutjobs flew in the face of reason, but there they were, first on the radio and then getting their own cable television network. Far too many people still complain about the "liberal media" and believe in Fox New's claim to be "fair and balanced." As I mentioned above, Romney won the Republican primary in Massachusetts of all places. Those voters of all people should have known better.

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen die Götter selbst vergebens." (Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.) --Friedrich von Schiller

Well, no offense intended, but the people of Massachusetts must have been suffering under some kind of collective naivety, because it took my small brain about one minute to figure out that Mitt is a real a-hole.

Agreed. See my point above about the stupidity of the general public.

...I didn't like Ronnie Ray-gun at all. Most of what you hear about his Presidency this days is revisionist. He was very well hated in his time.

That's my feeling as well, but I agree with NIC's point that he was substantially different from many of today's Republicans (e.g., GWB, cheney, et al).

I could never have voted for Romney, but I would have fucked him.

Eeew. Sorry, no, he's just too slimey.

Mormon boys make the best bottoms.

We can only hope. Makes you wonder about Mitt's sons. He's got 5 of them. One of them must be gay. Here's a pic of Mitt with his son Craig. Is it just me or is there something creepy about it?

Craig_Romney.jpg (image)

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I agree it's revisionist but in more ways than you imply. His policies and ideas were also substantially different than those of GWB or the talking heads who got their start during the Goldwater/Reagan revolution. The man DID have his vocal detractors (what politician didn't?) but compare the ridiculous landslide victories of Reagan in 1984 to what GWB got and you'll get a small idea of how the party's appeal has changed.

Reagan did have a broader mass appeal than GWB, it's true. But remember in 1984 he ran against Walter Mondale and Geraldine Ferraro. A more uninspiring duo than even Kerry/Edwards. Reagan was called the 'Great Communicator' for a reason. He had a folksy honesty that people trusted. With Reagan you were never sure if he was a simpleton or a visionary.

As for policies, maybe I am missing your point, but I don't see much fundamental difference between Reagan/Bush and Bush/Cheney. Reagan's tax cuts (30% for the wealthy) and massive spending increases really tanked the economy. I remember going from having a good job to having none at all- the housing industry dried up almost overnight due to a federal monetary policy with a prime rate over 20%. Forget about borrowing for a mortgage under those terms. Small business suffered so badly under Reaganomics, that the man's name is still a dirty word in my father's household.

Then there was the scheme whereby the U.S. sold arms to IRAN and used the profits to fund an illegal war against an elected government in Nicaragua. It really was illegal- Congress had specifically outlawed funding the Contras and Reagan signed it into law. At least Congress authorized Bush's adventure into Iraq. I mean the whole affair sounds exactly like the kind of thing Dick Cheney would be involved in.

And as for winning the cold-war... I call bullshit on that too (not that you mentioned it NIC). The USSR was doomed in any case. A failed ideology and Mikael Gorbachev had more to do with bringing about it's collapse than anything Reagan did.

OK- end of rant. Watching that speech by Romney got my anti-republican blood boiling.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I voted for Romney on Tuesday.

once again i'll take the beatings for the republicans. Let me climb upon the cross before i get crucified.

I wonder how many pedestals i've fallen off of by admitting my conservatism. I know it changes me view on how many hate me here because of it now. I'll risk not being liked if it means i speak for one other person than myself who is afraid to speak up about it around here. LPSG is always on republican hunting season. There is not a days break from it.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

once again i'll take the beatings for the republicans. Let me climb upon the cross before i get crucified.

I wonder how many pedestals i've fallen off of by admitting my conservatism. I know it changes me view on how many hate me here because of it now. I'll risk not being liked if it means i speak for one other person than myself who is afraid to speak up about it around here. LPSG is always on republican hunting season. There is not a days break from it.

We love you anyway Red. Hang around here long enough and maybe you'll come over to the dark side too. Democrats have bigger dicks- did you know that?

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Thing is... I actually kind of like McCain, in spite of his kowtowing to every last undesirable wing of the extreme nutjob right lately in what I hope is just his effort to secure a nomination and not legitimate insanity.

That's actually my feeling as well. If it weren't for his adamant stance in regards to the War in Iraq and his foolishness with this ethanol fuel idea, which is horrendous, I may have considered voting for him. To be honest, I do think most of what he's been saying lately is precisely kowtowing to the right-wing nutsos who have hijacked the Republican party over the last couple of decades.

Honestly, it's a damn hard time to be a moderate. That said, the Democrats are generally more moderate than the Republicans on the national scene, so I'm forced to vote for them at this point. Sadly, none of them seem to really listen to what people really want and never make the right decision for the people at the risk of their next election. Things like the horrible "stimulus plan" idea just make me throw my hands up in frustration at our government and the fools who run it.

You're just a masochist. Any time the word "Republican" is brought up, you bring out the crucifix and offer people the hammer and nails. Fuck that. Give me a bed and some handcuffs and I'll keep you busy all Election Day so you can't cast your devilish Neoconservative ballot. :tongue:

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
That was what I was thinking, but I would have to say the ultraconservatives might take a McCain-Romney ticket over a McCain-Huckabee one. What do you think?

That is what Romney is hoping, but it seems pretty evident to me that McCain and Romney despise each other. But as they say, politics make strange bedfellows. This is McCain's last shot so he better make the most of it.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
If i brought up how much i hate the hate as much as you guys talk the hate i would have been pushed out of here a long time ago. Say that 10 times fast.

Why are you grouping me with "those guys" again?

You know what I'm tired of? Since we're on the subject. Douchebags like Glenn Beck going out of their way to point out that they're "Independents" like it's some kind of friggin political party or that it represents some kind of set of ideals. GET OFF MY NUTS, GLENN. YOU ARE NOTHING LIKE ME.

eaglespga88

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No im just fucking tired of the hate talk that goes on here about my political party. We mention up any other topic other than religion and politics and it wouldnt be accepted.

I wish I had the diplomacy, and vocabulary to talk these radical leftists down here red, but I must sit quietly with you and watch since that is not my strong point. I feel the same as you, and would have probably voted for Romney in my states primary but my absentee ballot paperwork did not get sent in in time.