Mitt Romney quits

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The only way I see the right wing nut-jobs in the media going away is if McCain wins in November.
There are a lot of moderate conservatives in the republican party who feel that need to pander themselves to the christian fundamentalists to stay in office. McCain is despised by these very fundies and if he can pull off victory without having to heavily rely on this segment, it will re-define the republican party as we have known it for the last quarter century. Once this happens it will be the party that will have sent the message across that these people are no longer needed and that is the only way to ensure that most of them will go away for good.

yes, agreed. For the sake of getting rid of the far right nuts, McCain would actually be much better than Clinton. McCain will help strengthen and embolden the centrists and liberal-leaning members of the Republican party, as well as traditional fiscal/libertarian conservatives, and help weaken the monopoly of the NeoCons and other far-right nuts who have recently taken control of the party.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I never liked anyone named after a catcher's glove.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hey I never said I was voting for McCain. I toyed with the idea because I have a very real fear that the democratic party and the republican party are the same fucking thing just presented to people so that we feel like we still have options. So I toy with the idea of supporting the guy who seems less full of shit.

Take that sentiment and add a little more cynicism and a little more realism and I often feel the same way.

Part of the reason I favor the Democrats lately is that I think the Republicans have had power for too long. I favored Bush over Gore in 2000 in large part for the same reason. (sorry, I was wrong) I think Jefferson may have been right when he said the tree of liberty had to be watered every 20 years by the blood of pariots (to remain free there should be an armed overthrow of the existing government every generation, in other words)... but that's not going to happen here. We're too complacent. So the closest we get is voting one of two different parties into power every 4 or 8 years.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I too like McCain. Pilot, POW, and not a yes man for Bush. I admire his integrity. I do fear he may to old to complete two terms in a very stressful office. It is too bad he didn't get the nod eight years ago.

I really want the Republicans to go down big for giving power back to the Bush/Carlyle cartel.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
That was what I was thinking, but I would have to say the ultraconservatives might take a McCain-Romney ticket over a McCain-Huckabee one. What do you think?

depends on what you mean by "ultra-conservative." The fundies tend to favor Huckabee. The Hannophants tend to favor Romney.

I don't particularly like either of them. If I was forced to pick one I'd go with Huckabee. It would have been a harder decision up until Romney's final speech, which I think revealed his true character, true agenda, and true level of douche-baggery.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I too like McCain. Pilot, POW, and not a yes man for Bush. I admire his integrity. I do fear he may to old to complete two terms in a very stressful office. It is too bad he didn't get the nod eight years ago.

I really want the Republicans to go down big for giving power back to the Bush/Carlyle cartel.

I'd consider giving him my vote if it weren't for: 1) The war. 2) His age. In order for a president to do much good (or harm), one term is not enough.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'd consider giving him my vote if it weren't for: 1) The war. 2) His age. In order for a president to do much good (or harm), one term is not enough.
Bush certainly managed to do a fair bit of harm in his first term.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Bush certainly managed to do a fair bit of harm in his first term.

True, but I think the real impact of the damage during a presidency is felt during the second term. We weren't bitching about the price of gas, the rise in unemployment, or worried about a slump in the housing market four years ago.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My sentiments exactly, that's why I will vote for him, provided that he'll be nominated. I was pretty sure of not voting this year until I had heard about him entering the race officially, the other options just scared me off. A mixture of candidates I either couldn't agree with, or seemed to be too unexperienced or unappealing to me. In my eyes, he has everything I would look for: Experience, connections and independence from the neo-conservative mainstream, not to mention his aviatory and veteran past.

For the sake of getting rid of the far right nuts, McCain would actually be much better than Clinton. McCain will help strengthen and embolden the centrists and liberal-leaning members of the Republican party, as well as traditional fiscal/libertarian conservatives, and help weaken the monopoly of the NeoCons and other far-right nuts who have recently taken control of the party.

PS: Who else thinks Mitt Romney looks like someone out of Dynasty?

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
If my memory is right, McCain is roughly the same age Reagan was in 1980. Obviously, McCain looks it whereas Reagan didn't.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If my memory is right, McCain is roughly the same age Reagan was in 1980. Obviously, McCain looks it whereas Reagan didn't.

Reagan assumed office for the first time 17 days before his 70th birthday. If McCain wins the 2008 election he will be 72 when he is sworn in in 2009, making him the oldest first-term US president in history, though still younger than Reagan was at the start of his second term.

fwiw, I think he looks pretty damn good for his age. I also think he looks way younger than Reagan did circa '80. Aside from the hair.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
NIC, I hope you're right about McCain. Perhaps I judge him too harshly because of his recent pandering to the right-wing. I still think a Democratic president would be better, even Clinton, but that may be because I've never leaned conservative on any issue, so McCain will just never do it for me.

...I wouldn't be too stressed if he won, even if I would like to see the Republicans lose.

Agreed.

The only way the Republican party would change due to a loss is if it was a humiliating catastrophic loss for them, and I don't think that is going to happen. If it did, then shifting public opinion from the outside would force change within the party....

I agree that no humiliating defeat is forthcoming, as much as I think they deserve it, but I'm not sure that it's necessary. If McCain loses but the race is close, are Republicans going to think "Oh, we should have pandered more to the far right" or might they think, "Oh, we were really close with McCain; we need to move a little more towards the center." I think the only way a humiliating defeat work would is if public opinion truly shifted--I'm talking massive cultural change--towards something like eco-feminist, neo-pagan, tree-hugging, Green Party-type values. Then the Republican party might re-align itself to better represent classical liberalism.

Unless...do you think losing to Clinton (even if it's a close race) would be humiliating enough?

...On the other hand I think that if McCain won he actually has a reasonable chance at changing things from the inside...For the sake of getting rid of the far right nuts, McCain would actually be much better than Clinton. McCain will help strengthen and embolden the centrists and liberal-leaning members of the Republican party, as well as traditional fiscal/libertarian conservatives, and help weaken the monopoly of the NeoCons and other far-right nuts who have recently taken control of the party.

You and jeffery_stelesvyle almost have me persuaded. I think the key point here is that he'd have to win, and then be an effective president, without pandering to the far-right. There's doubt about whether or not he can do this. I saw a bunch of pundits on this morning's news (not that I give a crap what the pundits think) talking about the possibility of him choosing Romney as a running mate. Although many of them thought Romney was an unlikely choice, many thought he would be a good choice, and they all agreed that McCain needed to choose someone like Romney (i.e., Christian and strongly conservative) as his running mate.

In any case, in spite of their talk, as I mentioned before, I don't think the far-right nights are going to leave the political forum willingly. They'll support McCain in the end, and then do whatever they can to make sure that he relies on their continued support, or at least to make it look like he needs their support. It remains to be seen whether or not he does.

I don't especially like Hillary and never have. I can't believe the Democrats are shooting themselves in the foot this bad by seriously considering her candidacy at all. At this point, with public opinion so against Bush, I think the Democrats could run almost anybody and win against any Republican. Though the Republicans are very smart in picking McCain, as he is the strongest candidate they've got in a national election, I still think Obama or any number of other candidates could beat him. But I doubt that Hillary could. Hillary is not a viable national candidate. She is far too hated, even within her own party but especially outside of it. I know and understand that some of this has to do with the years of coordinated character assassination that the right-wing radio shows have been performing ever since the first Clinton presidency, but that doesn't change the fact that she is disliked and in some cases despised. Of the three serious frontrunners: Obama, McCain, and Clinton, I do think she would be the absolute worst for uniting the country or bringing us together...

Oh, I'm so torn on this. I'm one of those oddballs who likes Hillary and I always have. I've never understood people's dislike of her, other than the aforementioned character assassination, plus no small amount of sexism. I think she comes across in debates as intelligent, thoughtful, and reasonable. With regards to Obama, as much as I wish I could like him, I'm not impressed. (I'm one of those people who doesn't think he's ready yet, although he may be in another decade or so.) I think his success so far lies not in the fact that he's ready to be president, but that America is ready for him to be president. But I worry that if he wins, he'll be in over his head, he won't be effective, and after his term is up, everything will swing back to the right. So my worries about an Obama presidency are similar to your worries about a Clinton presidency, although for different reasons.

I agree with you about how hard it would be for Hillary to win, but my fantasy is that she manages to win anyway and then, with the support of a Democratic Congress, goes on to be a very effective president (I think she's perfectly capable of it), undoing much of the damage of the Bush-Cheney years, thereby proving everyone wrong about her.

But I can't deny how much she's hated, and frankly I'm surprised she's gotten this far. So my fantasy is probably just a fantasy. Unfortunately.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
fwiw, I think he looks pretty damn good for his age. I also think he looks way younger than Reagan did circa '80. Aside from the hair.

After comparing the pics I agree, but before that I agreed with SteveHD and thought McCain was the older-looking of the two. It's amazing what impact hair color has on our perception of age. Do I remember correctly that Reagan dyed his hair to look younger?

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
After comparing the pics I agree, but before that I agreed with SteveHD and thought McCain was the older-looking of the two. It's amazing what impact hair color has on our perception of age.
That's a really good pic of McCain. He hasn't looked that good during this campaign.
Do I remember correctly that Reagan dyed his hair to look younger?
He was accused of that but repeatedly denied it. In his second term, some gray did become visible. After he was out, it gradually turned to salt-n-pepper.