Mitt Romney quits

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
This has been an interesting and thoughtful discussion. A refreshing change from the silly name calling these politically threads often degenerate into. I look forward to watching and talking about what happens over the next nine months.

I believe that whichever of the three front-runners ultimately wins the election, the U.S. can look forward to a better administration. Having McCain emerge as the nominee on the Republican side is a huge relief. Obama does seem to be short on specifics, but is long on "the vision thing". Hopefully, an inspirational president can help heal the deep divisions in the world. Clinton, while she maybe considered to be divisive, has a good intellect and seems to really know her stuff when it comes to policy. She has been a good senator and gained a lot of credit for being able to work with both sides in Congress. I don't think her bad rep is deserved and is a product of the Hannityites propaganda more than anything else.

Looks to me like America (is it ok to call it that? :), is going to have some good choices again.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
If my memory is right, McCain is roughly the same age Reagan was in 1980. Obviously, McCain looks it whereas Reagan didn't.

You have to remember that Regan was an actor who took care of his looks and knew how to better present himself than McCain does.

I agree that no humiliating defeat is forthcoming, as much as I think they deserve it, but I'm not sure that it's necessary.

Romney (i.e., Christian and strongly conservative) as his running mate.

Oh, I'm so torn on this. I'm one of those oddballs who likes Hillary and I always have.

But I worry that if he wins, he'll be in over his head, he won't be effective, and after his term is up, everything will swing back to the right.

I have to really agree with these above statements. The Republicans may lose this election but it is not going to the massive rout that they deserve for putting us through 8 years of Bush/Cheney. I actually believe that it would really suit the christian fundies for McCain to loose this election because then they would be able to take the party to the extreme right.

If I had to choose between the Democrats I would choose Hillary over Obama any day of the week. It has everything to do with what you touch on re his lack of readiness to be President. I am afraid that an Obama presidency is going to a Carter rehash (anyone else disturbed by the similarities). Obama has all the signs of being a good President somewhere down the road and I am afraid he is going to blow his chances on 2008: either by losing a general election or by being an ineffective President.
The next President is going to inherit a lot of baggage from this one and would really have to fight to make their mark on the office.

A bad an ineffective Democratic President would ensure victory in 2012 for what would most likely be a right-wing zealot republican nominee. In my opnion a Clinton presidency has a better chance of being a sucess than an Obama one.

Nrets

Experimental Member
Media
Take that sentiment and add a little more cynicism and a little more realism and I often feel the same way.

Part of the reason I favor the Democrats lately is that I think the Republicans have had power for too long. I favored Bush over Gore in 2000 in large part for the same reason. (sorry, I was wrong) I think Jefferson may have been right when he said the tree of liberty had to be watered every 20 years by the blood of pariots (to remain free there should be an armed overthrow of the existing government every generation, in other words)... but that's not going to happen here. We're too complacent. So the closest we get is voting one of two different parties into power every 4 or 8 years.

I agree with this. Jefferson frequently said things like that. A more concise version was, the only path to liberty was eternal vigilence. He was not wrong. America was built on revolution. The complacency was alright for awhile, but it is getting to the point where voting may not be enough to prevent an absolute loss of freedom in the next few decades. That said, the right to bear arms was originally meant to give citizens a final say if the checks and balances forgot to check and balance...

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He does resemble Dominique. :smile:

I think he looks like Uncle Burt, a ladies' dream, a man's man and his business competitors' nightmare. Also, his hair always looks like it's moussed so solid that it could deflect a 30-mm-grenade without taking damage. I don't think there has been a role named Uncle Burt, but if there had been, he'd have been the perfect cast for it.

Young N Sassy

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
URGH I'm so glad he dropped out, NOT a big fan of republicans, maybe its the 'LETS BOMB THE SHIT OUT OF IRAQ SOME MORE' thing that turns me off.

I just find it funny that I'm from Massachusetts and he was our governor, BUT MASSACHUSETTS NEVER VOTES REPBULICAN FOR THE PRESIDENTIAL RACE.

Blahh, who knows. I also do not want Obama to win. Guess that means Hilary f.t.w? DON'T HATE ME ahaha. Just kidding. =]

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
PS: Who else thinks Mitt Romney looks like someone out of Dynasty?

He does resemble Dominique. :smile:

I think he looks like Uncle Burt, a ladies' dream, a man's man and his business competitors' nightmare. Also, his hair always looks like it's moussed so solid that it could deflect a 30-mm-grenade without taking damage. I don't think there has been a role named Uncle Burt, but if there had been, he'd have been the perfect cast for it.

Yeah, Denver Carrington's gay brother, Burt. :smile: His gay lover would be Jim J. Bullock. Hehehe.

Man, if Mitt Romney were President. I would wait for the gay scandal to happen. I think that would be very interesting.