MMORPGers among us?

TH815

Experimental Member
Media
I played a Red Mage in FFXI for two years, but gave it all up for City of Heroes/City of Villains and never looked back. FFXI was a total time sink. I love CoX (the games, not the organ… well, maybe the organ too :wink:) and have about 40 toons on 11 of the 12 servers.:cool:

I also play Guild Wars with my best friend and his brothers once or twice a week.

I played a two-week demo of World of Warcraft, but it didn't do a whole lot for me (I thought it was a lot like FFXI). I also demoed Everquest II Play the Fae, which seemed cool, but was like FFXI as well. I tried the beta of Dungeon Runners for 20 minutes and found it quite uninspiring.

I've also beta-tested Everquest Adventures Online. Meh.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
OMG! I have absolutely no idea what any of this means, or what you all are talking about!:biggrin: I sometimes think that I'm the only person my age who has never been into video games, internet or otherwise.:redface:

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't either, but it probably adds replay value. I remember when Mortal Kombat first came out. Infinitely replayable, because you never know who your opponent will be at the arcade. It might be your best friend, your brother, or a stranger. Pokémon was the RPG equivalent, even if it mostly appeals to people young to remember when Mortal Kombat came out. (Infinitely replayable one-player games are rare. Yoda Stories, with its randomly generated levels, is the most famous one I can think of I can think of.) I guess with the net, that just goes global, but cooperative instead of competitive.

Pokemon didn't hold my interest for more than a few minutes. Doesn't seem infinitely replayable to me.

The games that I have sunk the most amount of time into include Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Civilization II, Civilization IV, Magic: The Gathering Online, The Sims, and Final Fantasy VII.

Alpha Centauri was so easy to edit everything in you could basically create your own games so that was easy to get replay value out of. The Civ games are just plain addictive and so many different ways to play them, too. MTGO is easy to lose time on because of the online component with drafting and such and the game is constantly evolving when new cards come out. The Sims, like Alpha Centauri, is just very easy to MOD. and FFVII I simply loved the hell out of that game and so played it over and over again.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
Aaah man, I've spent as much time playing Civ2 as I have eating, Alpha Centauri aswell. I had a site where you could download complete theme conversion mods, Civilization was my 'Dungeons & Dragons'. Haven't any of the latest Civilizations, I prefered the simpler style.

As consoles go, I'm definitely an FF nut too - shit, I cried at the ending to FF10 :redface:

I'm surprised Pokemon didn't hold you interest NIC, I found the later ones to be pretty respectable RPGs (once the childish crap was forgotten). Did you get on with Legend Of Dragoon?

geekslut

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Play World of Warcraft. Also play Eve now and then. Eve is great but you'll never catch up. Waiting big time for Warhammer to arrive.

Also love playing Civ4 matches. Usually get my ass kicked.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Aaah man, I've spent as much time playing Civ2 as I have eating, Alpha Centauri aswell. I had a site where you could download complete theme conversion mods, Civilization was my 'Dungeons & Dragons'. Haven't any of the latest Civilizations, I prefered the simpler style.

As consoles go, I'm definitely an FF nut too - shit, I cried at the ending to FF10 :redface:

I'm surprised Pokemon didn't hold you interest NIC, I found the later ones to be pretty respectable RPGs (once the childish crap was forgotten). Did you get on with Legend Of Dragoon?

I never played Legend of Dragoon. Though I remember thinking the commercials looked cool. FFX was the last console RPG I ever played and I didn't even finish that one.

I loved Alpha Centauri because it was so easy to make new factions that were WILDLY different from each other. Even if you had no programming skills at all. I came up with factions for the Smurfs, the Autobots, the Borg, Barney the dinosaur, Walt Disney, Shin-Ra Inc, The Empire (Star Wars), Aliens (James Cameron style), Captain Planet and the Planeteers, a tribe of yam worshippers led by the yam god Ifijeoku (from Things Fall Apart which I was forced to read in 9th grade), The Legions of Satan, and more... all played outrageously different from one another and yet I like to think I made them all pretty balanced at the same time. All you needed was Notepad to change the faction abilities around (and there was so much you could do if you were creative enough) and a simple graphics editor to replace Chairman ShinjiYang with Papa Smurf. The music files were in MP3 so those were easy to switch around, too. So much fun.

Unfortunately, most of my work was lost when the hard drive of my old computer died.

DaMoose

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I dip in and out of Guild Wars -I'm not gonna play any subscription based game.

FPS' are my game of choice, to a somewhat competitive level - leagues, tournaments, sometimes playing for money etc :)

I would so laugh if there was an LPSG guild in GW :tongue:

I got into Guild Wars. I bought all three of them (there were only three when I got them at least) and I love playing it, but it sucks with out playing with others. I have a friend that works at an EBGames, and he gives me game cards for WoW. =)

Besides WoW I'll play any new Final Fantasy's (I had a Taru Taru Dragoon/Warrior), and I love Halo and all Resident Evil games that I can get my hands on. Sides that I'm not inside much.

MOOSE

DaMoose

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Play World of Warcraft. Also play Eve now and then. Eve is great but you'll never catch up. Waiting big time for Warhammer to arrive.

Also love playing Civ4 matches. Usually get my ass kicked.

Warhammer does look pretty good, from what I've seen. I want to try it out at least.

MOOSE

Synergistic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Well I suppose it doesn't hurt to update my habits, not playing WoW anymore, I played the whole month of June '05, and I mean the whole month, I did nothing but play, eat, and sleep.

Since then I've had spats with EVE Online, Anarchy Online when it went free I played with my girlfriend for a little while, Guild Wars, and even got into the beta for Lord of the Rings Online, which felt too much like WoW for my tastes.

I even went through another slight hardcore time playing Neopets again.

Pretty much the only thing I play regularly online now is Kingdom of Loathing which is totally free, which is good, because that way my friends will actually play it.

On a side note I'm waiting for Age of Conan slightly, and still excitedly waiting for Pirates of the Burning Sea.