Moderate coffee drinker since 5 years-old

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by midlifebear, Jan 15, 2009.

1. midlifebear

Gold Member

The attached link, though from Yahoo's daily questionable news items, just made my day. I grew up among those peculiar mormon people who eschew anything too hot, too cold, caffeinated drinks, coffee and tea -- especially cofffee and tea. When challenged, my relatives would insist "well, of course everything should be consumed in moderation." Well, duh! They insisted and many cousins from those extended families who are main stream LDS but practice polygamy quietly in the middle of Provo, Salt Lake, and Ogden, never missed an opportunity to be dismissive and insist that my dad and I will end up in Hell and that no child (as I did at 5 years-old) should EVER be allowed to drink coffee. Dad died about 10 years ago in his mid 80's more alert and quick witted than his doctors. Well, fuck the anti coffee crowd. Alzhiemers nailed all of my grandparents and has caused serious problems with most aunts and uncles -- all mormons of some variety: mainstream or fundamentalist. So you can imagine how smugly satisfied I was to read Drinking coffee reduces risk of Alzheimer's: study - Yahoo! News

It's a good day. Time for an espresso.:biggrin1:

2. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

Cheers! <clinking my coffee cup against yours>

As a guy from the pacific northwest, where we indulge in great coffee for whatever reason or no reason at all, I salute you, my fellow long-time and frequent caffeinator ....

3. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

There's nothing like sitting down with a great book and a good cup of fresh coffee. I've had such great experiences with reading on lazy summer afternoons (iced coffee in the shade) that I sometimes think I enjoy this better than sex.

Religion always bans and prohibits all the fun stuff (caffeine and masterbation, gambling, coveting your neighbor's wife or husband, mind-expanding books). Rules against vanilla lattes don't make psychological sense. Caffeine doesn't incite anyone to immorality.

4. D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat Account Disabled

*clinks mugs*

Thanks for posting that!

There was also a study saying that people who read regularly have a really high chance of escaping dementia and an almost 100% chance of living without Alzheimer's.

So let's all join Willtom and have a double indulgence of dementia-fighting fun!

I wonder if coffee can reverse the effects of Alzheimer's though? I'm going to ask my neurologist if he knows anything about coffee and nerve protection & repair. I've got some nerves that need fixin' and need an excuse to up my intake to 5 cups a day :p

5. Gl3nn

Gold Member

Cheers!

I think it's ridiculous that some people don't allow their children to drink coffee.
    Nothing wrong with it at all. I've drunk it since I was little. And it didn't harm me in the slightest

6. midlifebear

Gold Member

At the moment in down town Buenos Aires it's 38 degrees C and more humid than the bottom of the ocean, so a tall glass of iced coffee sounds damn good. No one would ever consider drinking iced tea or coffee down here, although the cafe's are full from morning to past midnight with thousands chatting and drinking café americano, (just a big cup of black espressed coffee), a jarra or a jarrita, café con leche, and for the hoards of stylish old ladies they create their interpretation of Irish Coffee which looks like a hot fugde sundae, but is just tall mug of coffee with a couple of shots of whiskey topped off with enough whipped cream to give you a quick and easy heart attack. The Squeeze, after all our years together, still looks at me and grimaces when I cold filter a picture of coffee overnight (no bitterness and tastes just like good fresh-brewed coffee smells, incredible) then pour myself a tall glass filled with ice cubes. Ice cubes are another thing that is somewhat of an oddity down here. If you order a cold soft drink they don't understand why you might want it with some ice and a straw. Waiter's always comment, "But sir, the Coca Cola is already cold?" (I try not to drink Coke, but it happens.)

Yup, thank you krispdx, will tom27, and super_crayon for the reminder that I really need to be chilling with an iced coffee and a good book at the moment. Which is exactly what I'm going to do.

7. Flashy

Gold Member

my grandmother drank a cup of coffee every morning and every after dinner of her life for about 75 years.

she got alzheimers and died 8 years ago (cancer) after a 6 year progression from forgetfulness to complete loss of recognition/awareness of her family

if it is in your genes, you will get it unfortunately.

8. D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat Account Disabled

So sorry to hear about that :frown1:

Maybe they should redo the study but this time check only people who are genetically pre-disposed to get Alzheimer's, and see if books and coffee can still make a difference.

My grandmother lived to 83 and sharp as a knife. Drank her morning coffee and read a lot, but Alzheimer's hasn't reared it's head at all in our family, fortunately.

9. Flashy

Gold Member

thanks...

yes...you are either predisposed or not.

my other three grandparents were as your grandmother...sharp all the way to the end

10. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Caffeine UP!

11. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Down, boy! :wink::biggrin:

Draft saved Draft deleted