Moderate / Moderator

Webster

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Moderate. To act as a moderator. To become less violent, severe or intense. To lessen the intensity or extremeness of. To temper.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Moderator: /mōde · răt´ · ôr/ n. A worthless BOFH.

In the earliest days of the Internet, way back before electricity even, TCP packets were routed in one of two ways -- via carrier pigeon, or via rat. The carrier pigeon was fast and reliable, and showed that the sender really cared about the recipient getting the message. The rat, on the other hand, would usually eat the packet and shit pellets. Naturally, sending via carrier pigeons cost more!

When sending a message over the internet, you had to go to the local Internet Office, take a number, and wait. (The old name of these offices, America In Line, was only slightly modified for the electric age.) When your number was called, you would take a blank packet and write your message on it. You had to check how your message was sent:
___ mode RAT or ___ mode PIGEON (+ $10)
During the Great Depression, so few people could afford to send their internet messages by carrier pigeon, that AIL was forced to discontinue pigeon service. Their new packets had the pigeon option scratched out:
___ mode RAT or ___ XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
AIL made other cutbacks as well, which made their employees very grouchy and pissy all the time. Pretty soon, the grouchy, pissy Internet employees were identified in the public mind with the poor service and the pigeon-less forms. They became known as "mode rat ors", an in-joke that is today all but forgotten.

Today, the internet moves at lightning speed over invisible strands of pixie dust bestowed upon us by the great Al Gore, but the hated "mode rat ors" continue their work, raining on virtual parades, and pooping on e-parties.

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
mindseye said:
Moderator: /mōde · răt´ · ôr/ n. A worthless BOFH.

In the earliest days of the Internet, way back before electricity even, TCP packets were routed in one of two ways -- via carrier pigeon, or via rat. The carrier pigeon was fast and reliable, and showed that the sender really cared about the recipient getting the message. The rat, on the other hand, would usually eat the packet and shit pellets. Naturally, sending via carrier pigeons cost more!

When sending a message over the internet, you had to go to the local Internet Office, take a number, and wait. (The old name of these offices, America In Line, was only slightly modified for the electric age.) When your number was called, you would take a blank packet and write your message on it. You had to check how your message was sent:
___ mode RAT or ___ mode PIGEON (+ $10)
During the Great Depression, so few people could afford to send their internet messages by carrier pigeon, that AIL was forced to discontinue pigeon service. Their new packets had the pigeon option scratched out:
___ mode RAT or ___ XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
AIL made other cutbacks as well, which made their employees very grouchy and pissy all the time. Pretty soon, the grouchy, pissy Internet employees were identified in the public mind with the poor service and the pigeon-less forms. They became known as "mode rat ors", an in-joke that is today all but forgotten.

Today, the internet moves at lightning speed over invisible strands of pixie dust bestowed upon us by the great Al Gore, but the hated "mode rat ors" continue their work, raining on virtual parades, and pooping on e-parties.

And the Oscar for best writting goes to ....... Mindseye!!!!!!!

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I guess it all depends on what dictionary or encyclopedia you use (or if you use one).

M-W.com said:
One entry found for moderator.
Main Entry: mod·er·a·tor

Pronunciation: 'mä-d&-"rA-t&r
Function: noun
1 : one who arbitrates : [SIZE=-1]MEDIATOR[/SIZE]
2 : one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion: as a : the presiding officer of a Presbyterian governing body b : the nonpartisan presiding officer of a town meeting c : the chairman of a discussion group
3 : a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor
- mod·er·a·tor·ship
/-"ship/ noun

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
LongPhatDong said:
Webster (1758-1843) US lexiconographer; see also: Emmanuel Lewis

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA *collapse*

LPD, thank you for being here.

At my church, for an organization of which I am a founding member, I moderate meetings two or three times a year. It is my function as moderator to keep the meeting moving. I am not in charge of the group. I do not get to make executive decisions. My vote only counts once. I am expected to close topics to keep the meeting on schedule, and make sure we strictly adhere to the agenda as i have prepared it. I prepare the agenda, but it isn't my agenda. It is based on the minutes of the previous meeting, and a survey the group is sent two weeks prior. Also, I bring sandwiches and punch.