Moderator elections?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
COLJohn said:
If nothing else I have learned here, DC, I look over my shoulder at all times. You and Lex would be overpowering both intellectually and physically. I'm just a naive Midwesterner with a backwoods education -- but with an intact sphincter.
All in good time, my pretty... all in good time!

D_Sir Dancealot

1st Like
Media
Lordpendragon said:
I can't help wondering why there is no form of member approval system for the moderators. I am not even sure who you all are.

Would the Moderators not feel more legitimate if they had some form of approval from their peers?

Can be a moderator????? You need to have a British one....

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
big dirigible said:
You're probably fooling yourself about that, as many of the more salient posts disappeared soon afterwards. Short of a Wayback Machine, you'd have some difficulty reconstructing the entire ridiculous affair in its true glory. That's not a trivial quibble - their behavior during that episode is what led some of us plebes to believe that there's nothing at all "moderate" about some of those recruited as moderators. Hence the long-festering resentment of those suffering under the moderate yoke. (NB to the militantly unreflective - I exaggerate for comic value. D'uh, obviously).

Big D, I understand and know that I don't know everything about what has gone on before I joined. I did read a lot of things from that period (February), in which the Mods were picked. As I said most of the things that I read pertained to the DMW occurence. I don't fool myself into thinking that reading about that one thing, led me to become an expert about it (the Mods, and their selection and appointment), I just tried to offer up my thoughts and feelings about them. I unfortunately went further than that, and also insulted one of the Mods (Lex), for which I state publicly that I'm sorry for! I also took aim at you (big_dirigible), and am sorry about that as well!:smile:

I have apoligized in PM's to all that I directly offended yesterday, and would've done so with you as well, but you don't accept PM's.

Since you think I'm a "weirdo", I hope you wont think that I'm weird for apoligizing to YOU for what I wrote about you on this thread, and elsewhere!

I do apoligize to you, and will never be mean to you again. I promise!:smile:

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Personally, I haven't found another place like this. Since being here now nearly three years, I've seen some interesting things about human interaction that I'd simply never seen before. For many of us as adults, we haven't often had places like this to exchange ideas on such sensitive areas with other adults. Once you get out of school, opportunities to really examine and discuss issues with large groups of people are somewhat rare, and I think many of us who end up staying here find that kind of exchange valuable.

Think about the kinds of things we discuss, starting with the very premise of the board- it's just not the kind of stuff that makes people comfortable. We all got here somehow from googling something about sexuality, which has got to be about the most sensitive topic in existance. We're baring our inner selves here- things we often don't tell our closest friends. Naturally we're vulnerable and uneasy to begin with, we usually aren't exposing ourselves in our real lives to the degree that we do here. When someone disagrees with an idea we present, it's often a very, very personal idea we've shared and that disagreement cuts a lot deeper than disagreeing about whether blue is prettier than red. Many times, I see someone feeling "attacked" when in reality someone is just disagreeing.

By the time we get to the Etc. threads where we are openly discussing things like religion, politics, current events and the like- a place where *some* flaming is acceptable, it is hard to understand where the line is drawn between *some* flaming and too much. There's really no good way to put it other than that there's a point at which the attention of the board becomes too focused on a fight between certain members, and that's when it's gone too far. It's not about a comment, a certain word, an easily defined idea- it's when it's persistant and unproductive and unlikely to get any constructive resolve. It is then the moderator's unpleasant job to tell people with enflamed feelings that their argument has become a distraction, knowing those enflamed feelings will immediately be turn on you.

Lex bears a lot, I know this because I did too. As a matter of fact, I felt that my stepping down would help with the resentful feelings toward the mods, because I am so argumentative, and the members are often unwilling to accept that moderators are still regular board members. We talked regularly about the need NOT to bring moderator's privileges into our own personal arguments, but it's hard to get the message out that we ARE still members with the same rights as everyone else.

Disagree with a mod or a decision made by the mods- fine. But please understand that it is an unpaid position, and one of a janitor, not a king.

Lpsg IS valuable, to different people in different ways. When judging the quality of the board, consider how it stacks up to other message boards you frequent. Please bitch accordingly.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
madame_zora said:
<...>
disagreeing about whether blue is prettier than red. Many times, I see someone feeling "attacked" when in reality someone is just disagreeing.
There you go, attacking me again, saying that blue is prettier than red, when EVERYONE knows that red is, statistically, prettier.

Just once, can't you stop being a cunt-breathing dragon just long enough to be my toadie?

(Pretty-please? I'll share Lex AND vinnie with ya...)

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Madame Zora-

I was interested to read your good post. I share all of your sentiments about this place too. I think that much has changed in the last two weeks roughly and it's as much a part of moderator moderation as it is poster moderation. I feel a distinct lessening of tension generally. And yes I think Lex bears a good deal here but is that of his choosing or have others, do you think, among the moderators generally simply opted to moderate less?

In your case I applaud the presence of mind and clarity of thought it must have taken for you to choose to relinguish a thankless job.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What a lot of people here don't seem to realize is that Lex's moderator posts are not necessarily what they seem.

These moderator decisions, folks, are MODERATOR GROUP DECISIONS. It just so happens that Lex often gets to POST the results of those decisions. Attack him, and all you are doing is killing the messenger.

And Madame Zora, I may tease you a lot on here (or even when we talk on the phone) but I must say, you are, as a woman, a mother, and a person, nothing short of phenomenal. You never cease to amaze me.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Stronzo said:
Madame Zora-

I was interested to read your good post. I share all of your sentiments about this place too. I think that much has changed in the last two weeks roughly and it's as much a part of moderator moderation as it is poster moderation. I feel a distinct lessening of tension generally. And yes I think Lex bears a good deal here but is that of his choosing or have others, do you think, among the moderators generally simply opted to moderate less?

In your case I applaud the presence of mind and clarity of thought it must have taken for you to choose to relinguish a thankless job.

Haha, what you DON'T know is that I've been trying to quit since I started. I only EVER wanted to be involved to help get the terms of service set so that what is valuable about lpsg and our brand of "free speech" could be preserved to the degree that it is possible to do.

I agree that the tension is lessened, I KNEW it would be. And as for ME it is also a lot less stressful- I am actually enjoying being here again, which formerly I was not.

Moderators "behind the scenes" have pretty much agreed to do what they're good at, each to his own comfort level. Lex and I just took the heat because we could and now that I'm not a mod, he is alone. Some mods are better at the technical stuff, which I suck at. Some have volunteered to watch for underage posters. Some develop systems of handling issues. Every action taken by a mod IS recorded, but not for public view.

Threads like this might lessen the mystery, I certainly hope so. Big Brother isn't watching anyone- in reality the moderators wish they never had to do shit and could just come here to play like everyone else. Try telling THAT to a bunch of conspiracy theorists like us! :tongue:

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
What a lot of people here don't seem to realize is that Lex's moderator posts are not necessarily what they seem.

These moderator decisions, folks, are MODERATOR GROUP DECISIONS. It just so happens that Lex often gets to POST the results of those decisions. Attack him, and all you are doing is killing the messenger.

And Madame Zora, I may tease you a lot on here (or even when we talk on the phone) but I must say, you are, as a woman, a mother, and a person, nothing short of phenomenal. You never cease to amaze me.

Oh shit, do I owe you a blow job now? :biggrin1:

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'd always felt, MZ, that you weren't really nuts about the job. I recall hearing you'd "resigned your post" when I was on my naughty chair and I was intrigued at your reasoning given that timing (of which I'm still not fully aware).

Also-

Thanks for helping remove the mystery around the thing. I agree this thread's helpful to that end. I know, generally, the moderator phenomenon has got many people wondering what's permissable to say and what is not. Who can say what and who cannot - that sort of thing.

I stated earlier in the thread that a couple of posters who I consider particularly thought-provoking are pulling up stakes and it makes me unhappy if they choose to do so and follow through with what appear to be final decisions.

I realize the board needs the levity of threads like "do I still look Asian in my pics" (simply by example) but I like the meatier stuff and I want (in the best of situations) to have a balanced mix of lighthearted posters (&#224; la my buddy jeff black) and those who are concerned equally with the issues that effect us all.

Here's hoping........................

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Zora -- thanks for much for chiming in. I wish everyone who had issue with your being a Mod knew how much you championed for their ability to speak their minds, even when they attacked you. You even begged others to NOT defend you. As "controversial" as you were, as a Mod, so to speak, it is great to see you again posting with the passion that I first grew to really admire when I found this place. Welcome back.

Stronzo--I hate it when people leave or stop posting as much. I value many of my interactions here and truly miss the words of some key people (Steve26, steve319, KinkGuy immediately come to mind). I think that each person has to balance their lives with their time on this site as best they can. For those that really love this place, the staying away does not last forever. I think that we each do our little part keeping this place thriving by trying to have fun first and foremost. Everyone loves a party, right?

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We do indeed Lex.

I wish they wouldn't go either and you guys have certainly seen more of the "quality" posters come and go than I.

I'm sure they're reading this thread in "lurker" status and perhaps will reconsider. Hell - we're too damned adorable to avoid for too very long, no?

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Wow. Miss one day and you have an 11 page thread to read! Still, though there is much that I could have skipped without missing it, I am glad I stuck with it to the end because the thread turned out to be illuminating. I'm glad to understand the role of the moderators better.

I, for one, feel the need to speak up for the moderators. At least a couple have been kind to me in ways that helped me understand the etiquette of the board better and helped make me feel my contributions were valued.

Also, in a case where I didn't play any part at all, I remember feeling grateful for moderator intervention in a thread that turned so ugly that I felt indirectly violated. I was glad in that case that free speech didn't reign to the point that a troll could change the tone of our board.

I've grown very fond of this place and am aware (more so after reading this thread) that it takes a lot of behind the scenes work to keep it as user friendly as it is. Sorry that my post has neither entertaining innuendo or controversy value, but I gotta say that if there were to be these dreaded elections, I'd sure be inclined to vote for the incumbents.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
Stronzo said:
I realize the board needs the levity of threads like "do I still look Asian in my pics" (simply by example) but I like the meatier stuff and I want (in the best of situations) to have a balanced mix of lighthearted posters (à la my buddy jeff black) and those who are concerned equally with the issues that effect us all.

Here's hoping........................

Like Stronzo, I agree. The board needs to be nice and balanced and at the same time, people need to know when it is time to be lighthearted, and when it is time to be serious. I personally feel, that most of the posters here are capable of that type of posting. :rolleyes:

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Stronzo said:
We do indeed Lex.

I wish they wouldn't go either and you guys have certainly seen more of the "quality" posters come and go than I.

I'm sure they're reading this thread in "lurker" status and perhaps will reconsider. Hell - we're too damned adorable to avoid for too very long, no?

Fuck yeah we are! Besides, we grow with each other, and in the end that's what lasts.

N00bs probably feel they get a hazing of sorts and maybe they do, but anyone who sticks it out around here for very long learns a whole new set of coping skills, and maybe that's part of the purpose too. It sure seems that we've made it that way.

Lex- this is the ONE place where I will defend myself as a previous mod. Thank you for telling people that I championed for the free speech of anyone who appeared to be "attacking" me. This is true- I always made it clear to my fellow mods that I didn't want anyone disciplined in any way for arguing with ME. I know I have a big mouth, but I also have a sense of fair play. Several of us took turns bringing the focus back to the tos when our feelings got inflamed. Believe me guys, every effort is made to be fair- I know it sometimes looks otherwise, but they really do try hard, you'd be surprised.

Oh, I still made ear-wax sketches of you all on my computer screen and you all had ugly moustaches.....