Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I am going in tomorrow to the dermatologist to get a mole check because my family has a history of skin cancer. My mom had it twice and just recently got it again in July, but she always catches it in the early stages.

So, I am going in tomorrow for a mole check... how do they do a mole check? Do they just make you stand there as they get a magnifying glass type device and make sure no freckles are bad?

I've never gotten one done, so I am just curious at what I should expect. :rolleyes:

college777

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Coventry, Rhode Island, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
they will usually look at you from head to toe. they will look at you and if they see any moles that are interesting they will look at them using a small magnifiying device. If they suspect anything they may schedule a mole to me removed and analyzed. I have had 2 removed that turned out to be nothing but the dermatologist just didn't like they way they looked

w2m4m

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Ive had skin cancer from a scab on my head ( LOL, my real head....that was a good one )that would not heal. Moles are usually gone for good once removed, but if you have a history of Cancer it is good to make regular visits to your doctor.

D

deleted3782

I had a mole check *many* years ago. My dad had issues with cancerous moles, I guess I have inherited that issue from him. They found one that was suspicious, and the doc had it removed and biopsied. I had a few stitches when I left the office, though I forget what the prognosis was.

It was pretty standard...just a thorough check of skin surface.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I'm not a freckled/moled person, I only have a few freckles on my whole body, and one beauty mark on the side of my nose. Last year, I discovered a discolored spot on my foot--it looked like a freckle, but it grew over the course of 6-8 months. I went to my doctor to look at it, he sent me to a dermotologist who took a little biopsy of it and ran tests. It came back that it was a rare, but benign type of mole. The spot where he took the biopsy hurt for about a day, but that was the worst part. I think that most doctors will check you out and see if you have any suspicious spots, take some biopsies of them and send you on your way.