Moles/Nevi...

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I was wondering if anyone has ever had to have a mole/nevus removed because of suspected melanoma?

What occurred to make you alert your Doctor to the mole in question? How long did you wait after becoming suspicious about your mole and actually visiting the Doctor? Had you always checked you moles or had you never thought about it and then discovered something irregular by accident?

Have you ever had a suspicious mole change in some way, but on investigation discovered that it was not a melanoma but some other kind of benign phenomenon?

Do you have dysplastic moles?

What happened after you alerted your Doc, did you have the mole biopsied or did your dermatologist recommend complete removal of the effected tissue? Did you have full excision of the mole or was it shaved instead? If it was melanoma had it effected any other tissues?

What was your prognosis? Have you had multiple mole removals or was it just the one?

Last edited:

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, I had one removed earlier this year. It actually appeared on my upper breast where I have a habit of forgetting to put sunscreen before I get in the pool.

It just looked really dark to me and it was new. When I went in for an appointment I pointed it out and my dermatologist immediately wanted to remove it completely and inspected the rest of my upper torso for anything suspicious.

I just had the one removed and the results came back negative for cancer.

If you have a suspicious mole go get it checked out. I had her look at several others the same day which she thought were fine. It's better safe than sorry ;) I'm a crazy person with my sunblock now I wear 100+ Neutrogenia brand.

Last edited by a moderator:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Yes, I had one removed earlier this year. It actually appeared on my upper breast where I have a habit of forgetting to put sunscreen before I get in the pool.

It just looked really dark to me and it was new. When I went in for an appointment I pointed it out and my dermatologist immediately wanted to remove it completely and inspected the rest of my upper torso for anything suspicious.

I just had the one removed and the results came back negative for cancer.

If you have a suspicious mole go get it checked out. I had her look at several others the same day which she thought were fine. It's better safe than sorry ;) I'm a crazy person with my sunblock now I wear 100+ Neutrogenia brand.

How long after you found it did you go to the Docs? Like a day or two? Did he cut it out or did he just shave it off?Or was it one of those punch biopsy thingies?

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
How long after you found it did you go to the Docs? Like a day or two? Did he cut it out or did he just shave it off?Or was it one of those punch biopsy thingies?

Honestly I think it was about 6 months. I noticed it and I meant to say something, but I forgot when I went to see my dermatologist. We always chatter about other things. Anyway, the next time I went in I pointed it out and she looked at it for about 5 seconds and said "that has to come off, I don't like the way it looks."

So I waited and I shouldn't have. I think I'm lucky it was nothing.

She cut it out. I laid back, she gave me an injection and took a scapel and cut it out. I thought the spot afterward was rather gross looking because when she cut across she also went down alittle then kind of back up. So when I took the bandage off at home it looked like a little hole had been carved, now though it's just a little pink spot smaller than an eraser on a pencil. It's level with the rest of my skin, no big deal at all I promise:smile:

If it was horrifying I would spare you no details I promise!. It was over really fast and it just kind of stung a tiny bit. I've had my bellybutton pierced twice... I'd rather have another mole removed:biggrin1:

Don't wait, you look really fair skinned like me which may increase your chance of getting melanoma.

They called me with my results within a couple of weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Honestly I think it was about 6 months. I noticed it and I meant to say something, but I forgot when I went to see my dermatologist. We always chatter about other things. Anyway, the next time I went in I pointed it out and she looked at it for about 5 seconds and said "that has to come off, I don't like the way it looks."

So I waited and I shouldn't have. I think I'm lucky it was nothing.

She cut it out. I laid back, she gave me an injection and took a scapel and cut it out. I thought the spot afterward was rather gross looking because when she cut across she also went down alittle then kind of back up. So when I took the bandage off at home it looked like a little hole had been carved, now though it's just a little pink spot smaller than an eraser on a pencil. It's level with the rest of my skin, no big deal at all I promise:smile:

If it was horrifying I would spare you no details I promise!. It was over really fast and it just kind of stung a tiny bit. I've had my bellybutton pierced twice... I'd rather have another mole removed:biggrin1:

Don't wait, you look really fair skinned like me which may increase your chance of getting melanoma.

They called me with my results within a couple of weeks.

Thanks lovely, I was going to go to my doctor today but she wasn't able to make it to her surgery today because of the absurd amount of snow we've had. I'll see if she's around tomorrow and if not try to see her after Christmas. :redface:

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have an oddly-shaped mole about the size of an old French centime at the bottom of my neck, as does my father, and did his mother and brother. It's been the source of curiosity on the part of doctors and dermatologists for years, but as it's neither grown nor changed shape or color, it's still there.

I think of it as a "legacy" mole.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Here in Australia we tend to get regular mole checks as a matter of course.

I've had 5 excisions with one site needing 4 repeat surgeries and minor skin graft work and had over 12 suspect moles "burnt" with liquid nitrogen.
I have body mapping done every 6 months at my dermatologist to monitor any changes.
Biopsy results normally take 3 working days.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Here in Australia we tend to get regular mole checks as a matter of course.

I've had 5 excisions with one site needing 4 repeat surgeries and minor skin graft work and had over 12 suspect moles "burnt" with liquid nitrogen.
I have body mapping done every 6 months at my dermatologist to monitor any changes.
Biopsy results normally take 3 working days.

Ah yeah, I've heard Australia has a very high rate of melanoma, I actually found some really helpful info on the Australian Dermatology Association website.

As a matter of interest have any of your moles ever become itchy or sore?

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I had a raised mole on the back of my neck - I had had it since childhood. A few years back I caught it repeatedly of the straps of camera and binoculars leading to mild bleeding. GP was hopeless (I'm in the UK, so par for the course) - he said it was probably nothing to worry about (and no he wasn't willing to do anything as it would be a cosmetic procedure).

Saw an advert for a private clinic offering mole removal. Picked up the phone one Saturday morning just to see what they could do and they said they could fit me in at 12.00 to have a look at it. Put the phone down, realised it was gone 11.00 and the clinic 20 miles away, so had a bit of a rush to get there.

In the doctor's room at 12.00, mole removed a few minutes later (it spurted blood everywhere), stitched up and out in no time. I remember eating a sandwich in a cafe a few minutes later feeling almost shocked - I hadn't really intended to do any more than make an enquiry phone call. Went back a while later to have the stitches out (five). The lab did the appropriate checks and it was harmless. Bill was around £100. I also had a medical while I was about it - probably the most thorough I have ever had.

All in all a very positive experience. I find it crazy that the UK NHS system cannot sort something like this. The idea is that either it is done for free or it isn't done at all. For that matter if you are fit and well you cannot get a decent medical on the NHS - or even a 'flu jab. Curiously the UK private system isn't well developed for this sort of add on.

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Thanks for posting this hilaire. It's reminded me that I need to get mine checked again.

There's a history of skin cancer on one side of my family, but despite this I never really considered getting my moles / freckles checked until I accidentally scratched one....lots of bleeding. Ouch!

After seeing my GP I got referred to a dermatologist within a couple of weeks. He was fantastic and was a total mole geek. He examined all of them and then started slicing and dicing.

He removed a couple of tiny slightly raised moles (with a scapel) and applied a sticky plaster to them. Nothing very painful.

He did one with a local anaesthetic cutting it out and then a couple of stitches. I don't mind injections so this was fine. A bit sore for a few days after.

He also did a biopsy that was like a hole-punch without any anaesthetic. A bit more painful than the scalpel, but really not that bad.

I got the results in a couple of weeks and all were negative.

Definitely get checked hilaire. It's really not very painful and doesn't take long at all. If you need someone to hold your hand, :phone: me. I'm a fully qualified hand squeezer.:biggrin1:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Definitely get checked hilaire. It's really not very painful and doesn't take long at all. If you need someone to hold your hand, :phone: me. I'm a fully qualified hand squeezer.:biggrin1:

I may take you up on that. I'm not really squeamish, and I have a high pain tolerance so I'm not so worried about the removals and stuff. But I am freaking out a little waiting to get the damned thing checked, I'm going to call another surgery and get it checked no matter what tomorrow, even if my normal Doctor isn't able to get in because of the snow. :redface:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Hilaire:

Odd that you should ask such a question about moles/nevus and melanoma.

Two days before leaving for Argentina this year (November 30th), I had a general check up to see if I was still in remission for something else. The back flap of my my "bata" (those wonderful, embarrassing medical gowns) was open and my doctor literally yelled "How long have you had THAT?" He wanted to send me immediately to the oncology/dermatology boyze above him in the same clinic. What shocked him (and now me, sort of) is a classic, irregular, multi-colored (but mostly black) spot on my right butt cheek. I promised him I'd have it looked at in Argentina. He gave me the name of a well-known dermatologist (female) and I sort of put off calling her for a couple of weeks. I am now in the loop. The dermatologist introduced me to an equally well-known plastic surgeon. Tomorrow I have the BIG appointment to see how many lymph nodes need to be removed along with the "mole." Seems both the plastic surgeon and the dermatologist are in agreement that there's nothing to be gained from having a "punch" biopsy. They are quite certain I have a raging melanoma on my ass. And they are going to cut out several centimeters of skin both in surface and in depth. Instead of lots of tests, they have given me a series of injections (five in five days) that temporarily stops the growth of melanoma.

The dermatologist asked if I had any "globulas" (enlarged lymph glands) in or around my armpit. I checked right after she asked and yup, I've got several enlarged -- and hard -- lymph glands.

I asked The Squeeze if he had ever noticed the mancha on my butt before. He said he first noticed a small black dot about four years ago, but didn't think much about it. I'd never bothered to check my ass out before. So, I've no idea how long this thing has been growing.

I'm not too worried. I'm in good hands. In this tropical city they see and treat lots of folks with melanoma; mostly older women with giant black growths on the upper part of their sagging breasts and men my age with suspicious "dots" on the end of their noses.

After the lymph glands and the removed skin come back from the pathologist I'll know if radiation and chemo are in my future. However, on the bright side, the plastic surgeon has assured me that once the melanoma is "cured" he'll take fat from under the fold of my left butt, a little from those post middle-age love handles I despise, and reconstruct my right butt by filling it in with the spare fat. He assures me I'll have a hard time finding the area where he's going to excavate on my butt cheek.

Last edited:

likes2seemore

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i am a fair complected person.i have many moles on my body,have all my life.this puts me, and others like me at high risk for skin cancer.some years ago after having a couple suspicius moles removed,i've been visiting my dermo every six months.in all the years i've had probably thirty or more removed,shaved off,or burned off.i've had some come back classified pre-cancer,but nothing malignant.there is a very good cure rate if caught early.check ups are extreamly inportant.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Hilaire:

Odd that you should ask such a question about moles/nevus and melanoma.

Two days before leaving for Argentina this year (November 30th), I had a general check up to see if I was still in remission for something else. The back flap of my my "bata" (those wonderful, embarrassing medical gowns) was open and my doctor literally yelled "How long have you had THAT?" He wanted to send me immediately to the oncology/dermatology boyze above him in the same clinic. What shocked him (and now me, sort of) is a classic, irregular, multi-colored (but mostly black) spot on my right butt cheek. I promised him I'd have it looked at in Argentina. He gave me the name of a well-known dermatologist (female) and I sort of put off calling her for a couple of weeks. I am now in the loop. The dermatologist introduced me to an equally well-known plastic surgeon. Tomorrow I have the BIG appointment to see how many lymph nodes need to be removed along with the "mole." Seems both the plastic surgeon and the dermatologist are in agreement that there's nothing to be gained from having a "punch" biopsy. They are quite certain I have a raging melanoma on my ass. And they are going to cut out several centimeters of skin both in surface and in depth. Instead of lots of tests, they have given me a series of injections (five in five days) that temporarily stops the growth of melanoma.

The dermatologist asked if I had any "globulas" (enlarged lymph glands) in or around my armpit. I checked right after she asked and yup, I've got several enlarged -- and hard -- lymph glands.

I asked The Squeeze if he had ever noticed the mancha on my butt before. He said he first noticed a small black dot about four years ago, but didn't think much about it. I'd never bothered to check my ass out before. So, I've no idea how long this thing has been growing.

I'm not too worried. I'm in good hands. In this tropical city they see and treat lots of folks with melanoma; mostly older women with giant black growths on the upper part of their sagging breasts and men my age with suspicious "dots" on the end of their noses.

After the lymph glands and the removed skin come back from the pathologist I'll know if radiation and chemo are in my future. However, on the bright side, the plastic surgeon has assured me that once the melanoma is "cured" he'll take fat from under the fold of my left butt, a little from those post middle-age love handles I despise, and reconstruct my right butt by filling it in with the spare fat. He assures me I'll have a hard time finding the area where he's going to excavate on my butt cheek.

Wow, Midlife, your confidence and sang froid are incredibly reassuring and help me put whatever this mole of mine is getting up to into perspective a bit more.

I'm really glad you posted thank you, very much.

I hope the excision and the gland removal go absolutely perfectly for you, and I hope that's the end of it too. :redface:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Thanks, dear angel. But it's not much to worry about. Like they say, "A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down the pants . . . . " and life goes on. I'm certain I'll be fine. And good luck to Hilaire!

Thanks :redface: And best of luck to you too, though fingers crossed it'll all be routine and you wont need any luck.

DasLeezard

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had one on my left shoulder, which has always been benign and been there as long as I could remember... then it started growing to a little bit larger than a pencil eraser, changing colors, bleeding, looking like an ink blot. Given being raised as a rancher, and always being outside in a tank top tending to cattle or working the field with no sunscreen, it wasn't a surprise that something would chance.

I got it removed when I was 15 (ranch kids work as soon as they walk). It had atypical cells. Further testing showed that it was benign.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Ah yeah, I've heard Australia has a very high rate of melanoma, I actually found some really helpful info on the Australian Dermatology Association website.

As a matter of interest have any of your moles ever become itchy or sore?

Yes and I rung up my dermatologist and she saw me quick smart esp. given my history.