Money Money Money

D

deleted509196

If you don't have much money, but need to last on it, how do you budget so you can spend, but spend less? Say... on a night out, or would you even go as far as walking to town or something to save on bus fairs? Not including not going out obviously - if you have something to go to so that isn't an option (a gig for example, where the ticket doesn't need to be paid for but transport there/back, drinks at gig etc). Also - what is a quick/easy/simple way to make some money, not including "getting a job" (as that isn't a "quick" process anyway). Selling on Ebay? What kind of things sell well?

D

deleted509196

*bump* just looking for ways to save/make money?

nealin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I dont own a cell phone. My home phone and internet are a "package" and my phone only cost me 18 dollars a month.
I never eat out, I fix all my own meals and take my lunch to work.
I plan all my stops (shoping, grocery's ect..) for on my way home from work.
I cook most all my meals on the grill outside or in the steamer to save on gas.
For entertainment I rarely go out, but have friends over. I supply the food or snacks and they bring what ever they want to drink. No one has to drive home drunk, we always have a great time, and theres usually enough booze left over from the last party that theres always plenty.
I only use my dryer in the winter.
I wash dishes by hand, not in a dishwasher.
and #1, never buy bottled water, you would shit yourself if you figured what you pay per ounce for that crap. Filter your own at home and keep a couple bottles in the fridge.
Hope it helps. Oh for extra money when I was in college, I danced in a gay bar in my underware. not a Go Go dancer but a Gay Gay dancer. Great cash!

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
1) Have a few drinks whilst getting ready for a night out. It'll get you in the mood to party and save you buying so many expensive drinks at your destination

2) Pay for the bus/taxi. It may seem cheaper to walk but getting mugged, bashed or losing your wallet turns out to be very expensive.

3) when cooking try making lots of stews and casseroles. The both store and reheat well, plus you wont need to buy expensive cuts of meat.

As for making quick money :confused: If i knew i'd be doing it too.

D_Ellerby Eatsprick

Experimental Member
Media
I'm in the same boat as you are.

If you smoke - quit. Many people I have talked to, have said they saved a lot by not smoking.

If you go out to bars, stop going and start drinking at home. Drinking at home is cheaper. Take your bottles in.

I only eat out 1-2 times a month. I brown bag everyday. I only buy what food I know I like, or am going to eat and finish up. When I cook meals, I try to make enough to last 2-3 meals. I cut out on pop and junk food.

I love reading, so I buy my books at second hand book stores, instead of full price at bookstores.

If you drive, look into getting reduced insurance rates. Or you could stop driving altogether and get a bus pass or car pool with someone. I did that and have been without a car for 6 years now. I didn't have to worry about gas, maintenance costs or insurance. Saved about $300 a month on that alone.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I like to maintain memberships to at least a couple different local museums so asking a friend to go the museums with me for an afternoon is always free save for gas money.

I always keep my eye out for discounted or free arts events as well. Like this event which is free:

The Crow Collection of Asian Art : Event Calendar

I would check for things like that if you are into that kinda thing.

At restaurants, I usually order ice water to save money. If I want to go have a few alcoholic drinks with friends, I go to places with good specials or reasonable prices. Restaurant-wise I tend to pick dives with cheap prices so that helps. My favorite local go-to places are Vietnamese because you can get spring rolls, hot tea, and a big bowl of pho all for $5 plus tax and tip.

I like dollar movies, Netflix, Redbox and matinees. Bring a big purse to stuff with candy or other snacks. I use BitTorrent for music I can't afford to purchase at the time.

Are you crafty? Like to make things? Sell your stuff on Etsy.

Etsy :: Your place to buy and sell all things handmade

Do you have a good digital camera? Sell your stuff on iStock. I pull in $100-200 extra a month on iStock for not very much work. But I have a good digital camera, though.

Stock Photography: Search Royalty Free Images & Photos

How To Contribute and Sell Stock Photos And Images | iStockphoto.com

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
*bump* just looking for ways to save/make money?

you can donate blood...i am not sure if they pay for blood donations in the UK
you can apply to be in focuse groups
you can apply to do online surveys

when i was younger, and i wanted money so i would not be beholden to a father who used money as a weapon and a power/control method, i walked dogs...I love dogs, you are outside, you get exercise, and you make money.

from the time i was 10 to the time i was about 15, and then when i was home for parts of the summer from boarding school and college, i always walked dogs here in New York City.

I made a fortune for a youngster...i usually walked about 4 dogs a day, in the afternoons after school, i would take them to the park, two at a time, for about an hour each, and would make $25 per dog...so i was pulling in $100 a day when i was 10 years old, 5 days a week and i did that for several years i would make about 15 to 20,000 a year, tax free, in cash from the time i was 10 to the time i was about 18...when i was 18 i had squirreled away over $100,000 in cash, and i always had spending money to do whatever i wanted, and nobody could tell me what to do. :biggrin1:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have a friend who can stretch a dollar farther than I ever thought possible. No gym memberships, only uses a cell phone (does not have a land line) no magazine subscriptions, only basic cable television (no premium channels) packs his lunch every day. Only eats out a few times a year for special occasions. Shops discount and thrift stores. Clips coupons for grocery shopping. Does not spend any money for dry cleaning or laundry service. Cuts his own hair. Only takes the subway or bus never a taxi. Does not drink or smoke. His house is cool in the winter and warm in the summer. With all the money he saves he puts half in savings and investment and the rest he takes a no holds barred vacation twice a year.