Monkey Pox

D

deleted17223131

Whew…let’s tone down the “slut shaming,” please. We all need to remember that Monkeypox is *not* an STI. Sex is only one way that it can spread. In my opinion, the thoughts you’ve expressed contribute to the stigma surrounding this virus. You are correct in that the WHO has recommended limiting sexual partners. But that is only a portion of the full story. Health officials have also recommended limiting large, non-sexual social gatherings and taking care when in crowded, enclosed spaces, such as the metro I ride to and from work on a daily basis. I personally know someone here in DC who contracted Monkeypox and has not had sex at all for more than six months - he got it from a stranger at a casual dinner party with friends. The LGBT+ community faces enough negative attention and stigma as it is without negative comments about what is “too much” sex. I believe condoms and PrEP are vital when it comes to managing risk and are a part of a happy, healthy sex life. But please remember that “slut” can be a harmful word, full of judgement and used to separate “them,” from “us.” It’s unnecessary in a conversation about public health because we’re all in this together.
This!

BussyPhilipps

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Whew…let’s tone down the “slut shaming,” please. We all need to remember that Monkeypox is *not* an STI. Sex is only one way that it can spread. In my opinion, the thoughts you’ve expressed contribute to the stigma surrounding this virus. You are correct in that the WHO has recommended limiting sexual partners. But that is only a portion of the full story. Health officials have also recommended limiting large, non-sexual social gatherings and taking care when in crowded, enclosed spaces, such as the metro I ride to and from work on a daily basis. I personally know someone here in DC who contracted Monkeypox and has not had sex at all for more than six months - he got it from a stranger at a casual dinner party with friends. The LGBT+ community faces enough negative attention and stigma as it is without negative comments about what is “too much” sex. I believe condoms and PrEP are vital when it comes to managing risk and are a part of a happy, healthy sex life. But please remember that “slut” can be a harmful word, full of judgement and used to separate “them,” from “us.” It’s unnecessary in a conversation about public health because we’re all in this together.
Then why have 98% of the cases been in our community? Why isn’t it rampant among straight people in the US and other developed countries? This is a behavior issue. I understand the fear around slut-shaming because of the HIV/AIDS crisis, but that’s an actual STI that is easier spread by anal sex than vaginal sex. Monkeypox is just spread through physical contact, so it should be just as rampant among straight people, yet it’s not. That clearly points to a behavior difference between gay and straight people that is creating this issue. Out of fear of being chastised for slut-shaming, we’re not being honest about the behaviors prevalent in our community that are making this such a problem, and that’s dangerous. Slut-shaming is when you shame someone who’s being a slut as immoral. There is nothing morally wrong with being a slut. I’m calling out sluts for engaging in behavior that’s problematic from a public health perspective. That’s a HUGE difference.

BussyPhilipps

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
exactly a disease that's been in western and central Africa all this time, now its seen as a gay disease. Love how this lady quashes this nonsense.
View attachment 75009371
People in Western and Central Africa have much worse living conditions that are more conducive to spreading disease, though.

Reactions: malakos and Gj816

Hung_in_DC

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Then why have 98% of the cases been in our community? Why isn’t it rampant among straight people in the US and other developed countries? This is a behavior issue. I understand the fear around slut-shaming because of the HIV/AIDS crisis, but that’s an actual STI that is easier spread by anal sex than vaginal sex. Monkeypox is just spread through physical contact, so it should be just as rampant among straight people, yet it’s not. That clearly points to a behavior difference between gay and straight people that is creating this issue. Out of fear of being chastised for slut-shaming, we’re not being honest about the behaviors prevalent in our community that are making this such a problem, and that’s dangerous. Slut-shaming is when you shame someone who’s being a slut as immoral. There is nothing morally wrong with being a slut. I’m calling out sluts for engaging in behavior that’s problematic from a public health perspective. That’s a HUGE difference.
I agree with you here, with one exception, and think the tone of your follow-up message probably better conveys your original thought. While this is primarily a behavioral issue, it is not exclusively based on sexual behavior. The research tells us that the virus can be spread by non-sexual close contact with skin, clothing, and, albeit very rarely, droplets. Even if the vast majority of all cases are from sexual contact, I think it's important to paint a complete picture.

dy85

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I agree with you here, with one exception, and think the tone of your follow-up message probably better conveys your original thought. While this is primarily a behavioral issue, it is not exclusively based on sexual behavior. The research tells us that the virus can be spread by non-sexual close contact with skin, clothing, and, albeit very rarely, droplets. Even if the vast majority of all cases are from sexual contact, I think it's important to paint a complete picture.
sad how the news paints it as only a gay and bi disease

Scouse_sean

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
From what I’ve read the symptoms in this strain are much milder than previous variants so it can be hard for people to know if they’re even infected sometimes. Some people are only seeing 1 or 2 small spots and that’s it so it could easily be dismissed and lead to more spreading.

Reactions: Hakan1

chrisrobin

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I read your comments and understand what you are trying to say - don't blame gay men.
However it's a statistic that Monkeypox is prevalent among men who have sex with men therefore it makes sense for guys to take precautions - and that doesn't mean not going to dinner parties!
In fact the statistics show that the majority of cases are among men who have sex with men.
So, get the jab, take due care who you have physical contact with.

Reactions: Gj816 and Hakan1

Hung_in_DC

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I read your comments and understand what you are trying to say - don't blame gay men.
However it's a statistic that Monkeypox is prevalent among men who have sex with men therefore it makes sense for guys to take precautions - and that doesn't mean not going to dinner parties!
In fact the statistics show that the majority of cases are among men who have sex with men.
So, get the jab, take due care who you have physical contact with.
To clarify, I’m not ignoring the facts here. As of yesterday, 99% of the current cases are in men and of that group, 98% of those men have sex with other men. This is absolutely an issue that gay men need to take seriously. I was pointing out that slut shaming doesn’t help. I also don’t think “blame” is a useful word either. The easiest way to explain Monkeypox is that this is not a gay disease and it is not an STI - however at the moment the vast majority of cases are reported by gay men and sex is one of, but not the only, way this can be passed on to others.

All squares are rectangles; not all rectangles are squares. If people understand that basic fact from elementary school, we can understand the current situation with Monkeypox.

boiblu1

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
We've just had a crash course in avoiding and limiting the spread of infectious disease for the past few years. While C19 is a different type of infection, I would have hoped that that it would have instilled a general mindset about the best way to approach this thing. It's encouraging to see the uptake of the vaccine when available, but there are still those who see taking any preventative measures as impinging on their freedom. We've seen that over the past few years too, although they would never be able to see the parallel between them. A poster above said it well, we can't allow the fear of a "slut shaming" tag get in the way about an honest and practical discussion of the role behavior plays in the spread.

Hung_in_DC

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hey fellas - thanks for the dialogue here about this important issue. I hope I do not come off as preachy. As a gay man in DC, I am part of the affected group in one of the original hot spots and have been following this closely. Just so others know how seriously we are taking things here, I’ll share this…

I got a call from DC Health yesterday, letting me know that I have been listed as a someone who has come in contact with an individual who is now positive for Monkeypox. I have not had sex in months. My social contact with others has been limited to a small dinner party (four people) and a coffee catch-up with a friend. I do not drink and haven’t been out in bars since 2019. Still, i received my first dose of the Monkeypox vaccine a week ago. I will circle back with these friends to see how they are feeling and I hope they’re doing ok. But, one of them must be positive and listed me as part of standard contact tracing. I have no symptoms and feel great. Since I have not had prolonged skin-to-skin contact with any of them, I don’t expect to become infected. Still, I am following DC Health instructions, which are to take my temp twice daily and watch for any bumps or pox. I do not need to isolate.

I share this just to point out that even those of us who are not sexually active or even in “the scene” are affected by this. We’re taking it seriously here in DC and hope to see the numbers decrease soon.

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
More than 99% of the cases in DC and NY are in men who have sex with men, so the vaccines are going where they are most needed.
Sadly we have limited resources to stop the spread, so they are being directed at a target group, at least for now. I hope when more resources become available they offer it to a wider range of persons who want it. I live in NY and I am 99% straight, so that would kind of keep me out of the present target demographic. But if a Curious male / Bi-sexual Male has sex with men, then with women, the possibility / probability of the small target group will start to expand for more Females to report positive as well. Males who engage in sex with a positive females would test positive . This and the flip side a female testing positive and having sex with another female , who has sex with a male. From what I understand of viruses and Pathogens, love to travel outside of their origination areas.

That said, everyone be safe and enjoy the rest of the summer

D

deleted17127281

Some serious questions I have;
can you get from sharing face drugs? joints? cigs? vapes? bongs? drinks?
can you get it from kissing? making out? blowjobs? ass licking? pussy licking?

I've been concerned and wondering since I learned about this horrible thing.

Hung_in_DC

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There was a time when everyone was required to be vaxed for Chicken Pox
Some serious questions I have;
can you get from sharing face drugs? joints? cigs? vapes? bongs? drinks?
can you get it from kissing? making out? blowjobs? ass licking? pussy licking?

I've been concerned and wondering since I learned about this horrible thing.
Yes, to all of the above, in varying degrees. Any skin to skin contact with someone who is infected is high risk. Sharing vapes, drinks, cigs, etc is less risky, but not risk free.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The vast majority is said to be "skin to skin contact". My interpretation is folks that are having lots of multiple hookups are the most at risk (regardless of sexual orientation).

So then the topic entered the "gay men are more promiscuous than the straight population" opinion. Is this true? I have no experience other than what I read online (and it sure looks like it's true). So perhaps that is medias perception of it as well. I've NEVER seen tons of online profiles of women looking for anon hookups with men.

Media should call it what it is: A disease that targets those that have frequent sexual contacts with multiple partners.