Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The vast majority is said to be "skin to skin contact". My interpretation is folks that are having lots of multiple hookups are the most at risk (regardless of sexual orientation).

So then the topic entered the "gay men are more promiscuous than the straight population" opinion. Is this true? I have no experience other than what I read online (and it sure looks like it's true). So perhaps that is medias perception of it as well. I've NEVER seen tons of online profiles of women looking for anon hookups with men.

Media should call it what it is: A disease that targets those that have frequent sexual contacts with multiple partners.
Agreed! It is a disease most easily spread through prolonged skin-to-skin contact, most often sex. It doesn’t discriminate male/female/trans.

It is also accurate to say that anyone with multiple sexual partners is at highest risk.

This is about sexual behavior rather than sexuality.

However, sex is not the only way this can spread. Like chicken pox, monkey pox can travel in a number ways unrelated to sex.

Get vaccinated if you can. Don’t touch strangers and cool it on the sex for a bit. :)

krock256

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
D

deleted17127281

Yes, to all of the above, in varying degrees. Any skin to skin contact with someone who is infected is high risk. Sharing vapes, drinks, cigs, etc is less risky, but not risk free.
Thank you so much, take care.

BubbleButtHungBoy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'm gonna be very honest here.

1.) With 98% of cases being gay men, its a gay disease until further notice. The other 2% were children that were sexually abused by gay or bi men.

2.) The disease is self limiting even without treatment, its a DNA virus so it doesn't mutate (just like every other STD and HIV), its mild and unlike its ruthless relative smallpox, it leaves little to no scarring.

3.) If you can get it from having sex, its an STI. The risk of getting it from droplets is near 0%, and if you're handling clothes or bedding from an infected person, even though the virus dies quickly when exposed to oxygen, wash your hands anyway (because peoples clothes can be raunchy regardless).

4.) PreP is no longer an excuse to bareback it, STI infections in the gay community are at an all time high, glove it up for a while until cases drop.

You can be safe and have fun :)

And btw, didn't Bill Gates "predict" a pox virus outbreak a year after Covid hit?

Reactions: malakos

Hung_in_DC

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I thought this "myth bust" summary from MedStar Health was a helpful summary of what I've been saying here all along. It is straight forward and provides the sort of nuance I think is necessary for this conversation.

Myth: Monkeypox is a new virus.
Monkeypox virus (a member of the Orthopoxvirus family of viruses) was first discovered in 1958, and is part of the same family of viruses that cause smallpox, causing similar, but milder, symptoms and is rarely fatal.

Myth: Monkeypox only causes a rash or bumps.
While a rash is common, several symptoms can start within three weeks of exposure to the virus:
  • Pimple or blister-like bumps on or near the genitals, anus, hands, feet, chest, face, or mouth
  • Fever and/or chills
  • Swollen lymph nodes
  • Muscle aches, backache, and/or headache
  • Sore throat, nasal congestion, and/or cough
Myth: Monkeypox is a Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI).
Monkeypox can spread to anyone through skin-to-skin contact, which can include physical intimacy, but can also be spread by other types of touching, such as kissing and hugging if bare skin comes in contact with skin lesions.

Examples of types of spread may include:
  • Direct contact with Monkeypox rash or scabs, or body fluids from a person with Monkeypox
  • Contact with respiratory secretions such as saliva during prolonged face-to-face contact
  • Passing the Monkeypox virus to a fetus through the placenta
  • Touching objects, fabrics, and surfaces that have been used by someone with Monkeypox (although this is believed to be an uncommon way the virus is spread)
Myth: Everyone needs a Monkeypox vaccine.
While two vaccines against Monkeypox are available to people who have been exposed to the virus and for those who may be at higher risk for infection, these vaccines are currently in limited supply. Instead, changing or avoiding certain behaviors provides a better way to reduce the spread of Monkeypox.

These mitigation strategies include:
  • Talking with a partner about any unexplained rash and then avoiding sexual activity, kissing, and touching until a healthcare provider evaluates the rash
  • Limiting the number of intimate partners
  • Isolating at home if signs and symptoms of Monkeypox appear and disinfecting surfaces regularly
Myth: Monkeypox is affecting only the LGBTQIA+ community.
Right now, people at the highest risk of infection are men who have sex with men and have multiple partners; however, anyone can get Monkeypox by having close, personal contact with someone who is contagious.

Reactions: Bd07 and Angelo123

BubbleButtHungBoy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I thought this "myth bust" summary from MedStar Health was a helpful summary of what I've been saying here all along. It is straight forward and provides the sort of nuance I think is necessary for this conversation.

Monkeypox virus (a member of the Orthopoxvirus family of viruses) was first discovered in 1958, and is part of the same family of viruses that cause smallpox, causing similar, but milder, symptoms and is rarely fatal.

While a rash is common, several symptoms can start within three weeks of exposure to the virus:
  • Pimple or blister-like bumps on or near the genitals, anus, hands, feet, chest, face, or mouth
  • Fever and/or chills
  • Swollen lymph nodes
Monkeypox can spread to anyone through skin-to-skin contact, which can include physical intimacy, but can also be spread by other types of touching, such as kissing and hugging if bare skin comes in contact with skin lesions.

• Direct contact with Monkeypox rash or scabs, or body fluids from a person with Monkeypox
  • Contact with respiratory secretions such as saliva during prolonged face-to-face contact
  • Touching objects, fabrics, and surfaces that have been used by someone with Monkeypox (although this is believed to be an uncommon way the virus is spread)
While two vaccines against Monkeypox are available to people who have been exposed to the virus and for those who may be at higher risk for infection, these vaccines are currently in limited supply. Instead, changing or avoiding certain behaviors provides a better way to reduce the spread of Monkeypox.

• Talking with a partner about any unexplained rash and then avoiding sexual activity, kissing, and touching until a healthcare provider evaluates the rash
  • Isolating at home if signs and symptoms of Monkeypox appear and disinfecting surfaces regularly
Right now, people at the highest risk of infection are men who have sex with men and have multiple partners; however, anyone can get Monkeypox by having close, personal contact with someone who is contagious.
The only thing truthful here is that its not a new virus.

Hung_in_DC

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The only thing truthful here is that its not a new virus.
I must respectfully disagree with you completely and don't see the point in having this thread devolve into two strangers bickering. I'm a lot of things, but I'm not a liar and do not spread misinformation on the internet. To the original poster and others who asked genuine questions, feel free to message me if you have additional questions.

Reactions: Bd07 and tnman

pwrdick

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Thanks, Hung in DC, for sharing this information. Some additional information:

MPOX (the better way to refer to 'monkeypox') can be spread even if those involved are wearing condoms. Skin to skin contact (skin anywhere on the body) for prolonged periods is the primary way it is spread.

The vaccine being distributed now is actually a modern smallpox vaccine. It was NOT designed specifically for mpox.

A limited study done some time ago indicated that smallpox vaccines are only about 85% protective against mpox. I am sure there will be 'breakthrough' infections following vaccination efforts, so keep up on health news for more accurate data as it becomes available.

If you were vaccinated against smallpox as a child (back before 1972, when smallpox was considered eradicated and routine vaccination was stopped), it is unlikely that your smallpox vaccination would provide much protection against mpox today. Therefore, you should get BOTH shots. However, if you were in the military and were given a smallpox vaccine more recently, you probably have some protection.

Peak protection from the vaccine is 2 weeks after the SECOND vaccination.

About 40% of today's mpox infections have been in men who were HIV+. It is unclear whether that means that HIV-infection makes someone more vulnerable to infection.

The administration of the vaccine was originally subcutaneous. However, it has been shown that using only 1/5th of the dose administered intradermally (into the fat layer of the skin) provides a similar immune response. This route of administration stretches supplies considerably. HOWEVER, for people who develop keloids, it should be administered subcutaneously to prevent scarring. In addition, those who have t-cells below 300 (immuno-compromised HIV+ individuals primarily) should also receive the shot subcutaneously.

The vaccine can be therapeutically useful to lesson symptoms for people who have been exposed to mpox or those who are starting to show signs.

The antiviral treatment TPOXX (tecovirimat), an investigational drug, is available for mpox infections. It was originally designed for smallpox infections but, so far, its access is being limited to the most severe cases and there is a tremendous amount of paperwork in order to gain access to the treatment.

If you feel you are at risk for mpox and are HIV-, PLEASE consider getting tested for HIV and talk to your healthcare provider about going on PrEP to protect against HIV!

I hope this is helpful. I got my first vaccination on August 1 and look forward to a booster as early as next week. There have been 30 cases so far in Sonoma County, California as of yesterday.

herbho

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

• Fever and/or chills
  • Swollen lymph nodes

Thank you for the information; it is quite helpful. I am the eternal chicken who lived through the whole AIDS epidemic, afraid and hesitant to even have any kind of sex. I think a large portion of the gay community is the same, and we have hear the same arguments about being a gay disease that we heard from Reagan and his bunch of criminals back in the day. Only when it started affecting the straight community was any real change implemented. That said, I got my first vaccine Monday from my physician's office. They, of course, are targeting a certain segment of the population, so, if you can get it now, do it before the larger population is eligible and you are faced with the possibility of a vaccine scarcity. I did not see my regular physician, but one who was assigned to supervise the distribution. With that, I was asked a few questions to determine my " eligibility," even though my profile clearly states that I am gay. I was asked why I wanted the vaccine and I replied," Because I'm a whore." We both got a laugh at my quick response. Then he asked how many sex partners I had in the past three months and when was the last time I had a sexual encounter and what form it took. Am I on PREP? Do I use condoms? Then, it was determined that I was eligible for the vaccine. He took time explaining everything about it and possible side effects, then he gave me the shot just under the skin. I have had no side effects except a bit of reddening around the insertion area. The second shot is in four weeks. It's painless and well worth it - especially if you weren't vaccinated for smallpox when you were a kid. I was, but this is another layer of protection.

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've received my first dose 2 weeks ago and I'll be getting the last dose in another 2 or 3 weeks. I'm abstaining from all activity until I'm fully vaccinated with 2 weeks time after the second dose so that the antibodies are given substantial time to build up. I read between the lines. They are not calling it an std but lets be honest guys. It's being spread mostly within the gay community. I am finding that a lot of guys are not too worried about catching it so as a precaution for my own health i'm doing what I need to do incase I come into contact with someone that might have it. It's important to know that someone can have it from 5 to 25 days with no symptoms. I'm starting to find myself a little turned off by guys that don't seem to care about the spread of it and are willing to take a risk. Do what you want with your body but please don't try to persuade me to take a chance with mine.

Intactnine

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So with the rise of the Monkey Pox I am sorta perplexed ? I know how they are spread, and wonder if anyone is really taking precautions? But something I found interesting was that I saw on TV that the vax had arrived in my state and the vile that was shown said Small Pox vaccine. I had a small pox vaccine as a child and wondered for those who did if we are vaxed for it, or not? It made it look as if the Small pox vaccine was what was being given for the Monkey Pox.
so what you saw on the news was stock footage

Infernal

Superior Member
Media
Phoenix, Arizona, United States of America
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
They stopped regular smallpox vaccinations in the United States in 1972. Those of us born before then received it, but that was now 50 + years ago. Those vaccinations may have lost their effectiveness or not offer as much protection now. The combination smallpox/monkeypox vaccine became available where I live so both my husband and I went to get it. I had the second injection on the 15th and aside from a red bump on my arm I've had no problems. The only issue I face is that my health insurance is pushing me to get the shingles vaccine, but you can't get it within 28 days of the monkeypox vaccine. It's also that time of year for a flu shot and I need a pneumonia vaccine as well. If I have to keep spacing things out it will be difficult to get it all by the end of the year.