Monsters in-laws

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
saw a couple of shows ........ scary, who needs Satan

I did, too. It was interesting to me how often solving the problem involved getting an enabler to stop enabling the situation.

A lot of the people who seemed villainous in the beginning didn't turn out to be so bad in the end, but I don't understand the open hostility people showed one another on the show before they resolved their differences. It was shocking behavior. I couldn't imagine using crude insults to someone's face like that, especially someone related to my lover. Surely they must realize that it wouldn't help resolve the situation.

I did not watch the links; I can imagine the horror story they are tying to depict. I am really lucky my In-Laws are fabulous.

You are so lucky!

D_Bo_DiddleMe

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Mother in Laws are generally considered 'monstrous' and wicked, the part of the world I belong ... they are perceived as 'devil incarnates' ... :/

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't like family. I like people. If those people happen to be family, then all is well. (From 'Thunderian Philosophy: The Silver Lining'.)

I agree, the problem is when those people aren't being nice, and you have to put up them anyway because they're part of your partner's family.

Mother in Laws are generally considered 'monstrous' and wicked, the part of the world I belong ... they are perceived as 'devil incarnates' ... :/

LOL, well from what I saw on that show, some in-laws deserve it! Watching it really made me feel a lot better about our situation. You know, it's not always good, but at least we aren't like those people.

D_Bo_DiddleMe

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I agree, the problem is when those people aren't being nice, and you have to put up them anyway because they're part of your partner's family.

LOL, well from what I saw on that show, some in-laws deserve it! Watching it really made me feel a lot better about our situation. You know, it's not always good, but at least we aren't like those people.

I am not talking about all the in-laws, I specifically talking about 'mother-in-laws', they are not seen in a good light by the society, especially the one which I belong, in India and Pakistan they are considered very cunning and crafty.

Recently, someone dubbed the "US" govt as Pakistan's mother-in-law ... :biggrin1:

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I do take a grain of salt, as this is a "TV show" ..... how much is real

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I do take a grain of salt, as this is a "TV show" ..... how much is real

I actually know someone who does casting for reality TV shows and we've discussed that. Instead of expecting complete amateurs to act, which isn't that easy because amateurs really suck at acting, they simply look for people who have huge egos and an inability to perceive how other people are judging them, and then they actually film what people who are like that act like. You are totally correct that the kind of people who end up on TV is "scripted," it's just that it's scripted in favor of certain types of people instead of actual scripts. They are "coached" sometimes on reality TV shows, which is to say that a handler might rile a person up over whatever makes them mad right in order to create a confrontation, but again that's "scripted" in the sense that they manipulated a person to show their own worst side on TV.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am not talking about all the in-laws, I specifically talking about 'mother-in-laws', they are not seen in a good light by the society, especially the one which I belong, in India and Pakistan they are considered very cunning and crafty.

Recently, someone dubbed the "US" govt as Pakistan's mother-in-law ... :biggrin1:

Ah, I see.

Last edited:

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't have much contact with my family. As I don't have a partner, I don't feel obligated to like someone just because they're related to me in some way. When in a relationship, however - I'm forced to be friendly to unpleasant people. For the sake of your partner, there's little choice. In that scenario, I just avoid them like the plague and save myself the bother. :tongue:

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Many a British comedian has covered mother-in-law jokes, and in-laws in general, but fact remains is, whilst not all want to control you, most will..... something I got from the ex's family, and was one major reason we split.

Those two clips though.... dam! :eek:

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My in-laws are worse than that in my opinion. At least those people put their true feelings out there. My cunt in-law is always nice to my face and an asshole behind my back.

We are currently not on speaking terms because I don't want to go to church, and I do want to do lots and lots of community outreach and charity work. My mother in-law believes I should go to church, and that the time I spend on charity should be instead given to some church, to benefit that church (literally, through building and cleaning projects). She asked my husband, "Why would you two let strangers benefit from your good nature instead of finding a church home and giving all your time, talent and treasure there?" She was serious. My husband and I see eye to eye on this issue. He came to his conclusions about how to live on his own; we both did.

She believes that I tell him how to think and live. The last words she spoke to him were over a month ago. After ranting at him for nearly two hours, enumerating his many flaws, failings and shortcomings as she sees them, she said, "Now go report all I have said to your wife so she can tell you what to think." Fuck that bitch. I'm done being nice. I'm done eating her shit. I used to think she was a good person who simply wasn't nice. I now think she's just a bad person.

My sister in-law wants me to come to her graduation from law school. In confidence, she told her roommate that she is hurting because she fears I won't come. She thinks I will stay away from family events to avoid her mother. She is correct. The next time I see that jack-ass will be too motherfucking soon. I cannot speak my mind to her without creating undue drama for innocent bystanders, so I prefer to keep my distance. However, I also do not want to hurt my sister in-law by failing to come to her graduation. I'm very, very proud of all she's accomplished, and I want her to know by my actions how much I love and admire her. I will be at the ceremony, and at the family celebration. I will not say more than, "Hello, M****." to her, and that much only if she makes eye contact with me for some reason. She's dead to me.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
AE, I have a PM open and partially written from yesterday (having trouble typing this atm, baby keeps stepping on the F1 key and opening the help page) but then I went downstairs to make baby and me food and in the meantime I got too many PMs and now I can't send the one I started, which I still haven't finished. :rolleyes:

Sigh.

I'm so sorry that you're having a terrible time with your MIL! I've been in love with someone whose family had a low opinion of me, and it's so difficult being in that position.

I rarely ever watch reality TV shows - like I've never seen Jersey Shore or a Kardashian or a Real Housewife on TV (except on The Soup because then it's hilarious) - but this one interested me because of it's "problem solving" take on these family problems, which I thought might be useful. And it made me feel better that our situation isn't nearly as bad as these other families, too.

I'm having a in-law problem (which I feel comfortable elaborating in PM with you but not here) but it's mostly his own family member who is giving TheBF a difficult time, for the most part, but it has affected both of us. I have a good reason to be angry, but I have forgiven things that have past. I've been treated gingerly by his family, but like an outsider. My MIL is like this, so I walk on eggshells because I know she would never tell me if I stepped on her toes. If she didn't like that I stuck my finger in her ear, she might tell someone else, but I'd get that "everything's okay" smile. It makes me a little paranoid sometimes because I don't know her sincere feelings.

It's been my opinion for a very long time now that my MIL has been enabling the problem in her family because she wants to stay out of it and she obviously hates confrontation, so it was fascinating to watch these episodes and see that same sort of thing go on in these other families, too. The person with the power to influence and cause change in the family was often the one who refused to use it.

Last edited: