Monthly 'issues' BOYS PROBABLY BEST ADVISED NOT TO ENTER THIS THREAD!! LOL

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Rubenesque, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Rubenesque

Gold Member

Albums:
    So, ladies of the forum. A friend sent me a link to a product called The DivaCup. It is designed to replace disposable sanitary products.

Now, I get that tampons etc are not great for the environment. And also, in this country at least, they are taxed as a luxury!!!! :eek: So I wonder how many of you would consider using a product like this? I have to admit it doesn't really appeal much to me.

Have any of you already tried them??

Here's the link
    The DivaCup™

2. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    I would try it but they don't offer free samples as the tampon companies do. Plus they offer two sizes, one for ladies who've given birth and one for those who haven't. Women differ greatly in size and I wonder if those two can accommodate us all. Other than that, it sounds like a great product.

3. Rubenesque

Gold Member

Albums:
    Even though you clean it out? That's the bit that puts me off - very messy. I suppose they won't offer samples because it's something you buy and keep for a good long while.

I remain unconvinced I think lol

4. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    I keep thinking about how you would take it out and clean it at work. Do you remove it, waddle out of the stall with your panties down, wash it out at the sink, waddle back into the stall and reinsert it? Not only would that be inconvenient, but also embarrassing. No one wants to see that. Tampons can be taken out, flushed, and you can dress yourself again, go out of the stall, wash your hands and you're finished.

5. AllTatersNoMeat

Albums:

I tried to resist (and wish I had), but that's like putting me in front of a giant button that says "DON'T PUSH".

6. Rubenesque

Gold Member

Albums:
    lol AllTatersNoMeat - I'm sorry. But you WERE warned!

haha

7. Rubenesque

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yep exactly... just seems a whole heap of bother.

8. snoozan

Gold Member

I've read about this and it's a modern version of something that's been around forever and that's never really caught on, I don't think. A similar alternative to this is using sea sponges which act as natural, reuseable tampons.

They say on the site you can empty it into a public toilet, dry it out, and reinsert if you can't get to a sink.

It seems like a good idea in theory, but I think in practice it might not work so well. My biggest fear would be sneezing and ejecting the entire thing along with its contents all over the place. I've done that with tampons before, but they are absorbant. I would worry about spilling the contents of this cup while taking it out too. I'm really clumsy.

Also it says it sits low in the vagina, lower than a tampon. From the illustrations it's almost at the vaginal opening. I know if I don't get a tampon "up there" far enough, I feel it all the time which is not comfortable at all.

Then again, I wouldn't be averse to trying it out. It's just that at $30USD it's a little steep for just a tryout.

9. Rubenesque

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm like you Snoozan. The whole point with a tampon is if it's too low you feel it, if it's in properly you don't. And the cup is designed to sit low. I don't get that.

10. snoozan

Gold Member

I think if I was going to go for something reuseable and eco-friendly, I'd use the sea sponges:

Sea Pearls - Natural Sea Sponge Tampons - Healthy, Economical, Environmental, Convenient

You can also buy luna pads, which are washable, reuseable fabric pads and pantiliners.

I don't know, call me a bad person, but I'm liking my eco-unfriendly disposables. I have a friend who is using cloth diapers and I just can't make myself do all the extra work and yuck of having to clean these nasty unsanitary things out.

11. happyfeet

happyfeet New Member

I had one. It's not as difficult as it sounds.

Lots of women (another board I frequent has tons of women who use this or The Keeper--a rubber version) carry a small squeeze bottle with water in it to rinse it out in the public stalls, if they want it rinsed out prior to re-inserting.

You can't feel it, if installed correctly. I have never had success with tampons (I bleed around them for some reason I don't explore anymore), so I tried the Diva Cup. It came with a 6 month guarantee. If I didn't like it w/in 6 months, I could return it and get a full refund (minus shipping, of course).

I didn't like the silicone. I have mental issues regarding my vagina. I like sticking penis up there, but not much else. So, the silicone would always come unfolded before I had it all the way inserted. That hurt like a bitch, but only b/c I'm sensitive and have mental issues, I think. LOL Anyway, I didn't have the success I wanted with it, but I still plan on buying The Keeper and trying that, since rubber is softer than silicone.

Some women think the Diva Cup is messy. I think messyness probably depends on how relaxed you can get while pulling it out.

Anyway, tons of women swear by this product. It wasn't for me, but I do think it's great. I plan on trying sea sponges before I get a Keeper, and those are just as controversial.

12. happyfeet

happyfeet New Member

I used cloth diapers for years. I didn't clean them out. Of course, breastfed baby poop is a different animal than formula fed baby poop. And, once they got old enough to have solid poops...well, we had a formula. LOL But, it didn't include rinsing and dunking b/c I had hated doing that as a child. (siblings)

And, they're no more unsanitary than disposible stuff. Maybe you should read up on what's inside your disposible products. It's truly harmful. To you *and* the environment.

13. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I actually do remember seeing something like this advertised way back in the 1970s, but obviously it didn't catch on.

I'm all for trying to make my life more eco-friendly. If I were female, I'm sure I would try this product. Those of you worried about using it at work or out elsewhere, it does say 12 hours is not unreasonable. And you could always use tampons at work and this thing at home, just to see how it works.

It is a little more work, but at home, I try not to use any paper products (paper towels, table napkins, etc) unless I absolutely have to. I've even gone to a permanent filter in my coffee pot (less dioxin, too... plus the essential oils come through better, coffee tastes better).

I do understand your reluctance, though, those who won't try it. By the way, remember the old phrase, "on the rag"? Before pre-packaged pads and tampons, that's what you used - rags. The rich girls got to throw them away after one use, the poor girls had to rinse them out and reuse them. Ain't technology wonderful?

P. S. If you are wondering why I read this, I find human physiology more "fascinating" than "gross." So, I was curious about the subject line, and no, I'm not grossed out.

14. snoozan

Gold Member

I was not looking for a lecture on this. I've already heard it all. I was simply commenting that I chose to use disposables for my own reasons, not to condemn cloth. I did not ask for your opinion. Please refrain from offering me parenting advice unless I ask for it. This is the same kind of intrusive shit I get from people when they find out I didn't circumsize my son (there's an entire thread on it). Unsolicited parenting advice is unwelcome and intrusive.

Thank you.

Snooz

15. Rubenesque

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ouch, wouldn't wanna piss you off!! lol

Have to say though, that given the topic is about a product that is designed to be less harmful to the environment, happyfeet wasn't really out of order. I'm not sure it was really unsolicited parental advice as much as her just saying what she chose to do, and why.

But, I guess it depends how you choose to read it.

Anyway - I still think the product is a bit pricey if you're not sure it's going to suit. It's not like it's something you can flog on ebay if you decide you're not keen is it LOL

16. spartalee

spartalee New Member

Hey ladies sorry to be where I am unwanted but my g/f uses this product and I asked her about it and she said the rubber one is far superior in confort (In case you want one but dont know wich) but she aslo said she does not like to use it at all, she said it is very messy and she has had accidents at work in which clothes had to be changed. she also said their is no replacement for the disposible kind they are quick easy and less of a hassle.

17. Rubenesque

Gold Member

Albums:
    You are wanted here - I only suggested boys not enter because they're often a bit 'icky' about these sort of things.

So I have to ask, if your girlfriend dislikes them so much why is she using them, the environmental issues?

18. snoozan

Gold Member

I see what you're saying, I'm just being really oversensitive what with the latest circumcision debates with friends and family, and now having the breastfeeding and disposable diapers are evil thing coming from my best friend. I just don't want to hear any of it anymore. I'm sorry, happyfeet, if I took it the wrong way.

I also just started my period, can I use that as an excuse?

19. Rubenesque

Gold Member

Albums:
    Abso bloody (no pun intended) lutely!

I know allllllll about PMT, my ex-husband claims I have it for 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after my period - cheeky twat! lol

I would prescribe chocolate and comfy jimjams, always works for me.

I think you need to worry less about what other people have to say about the decisions you've made as a parent. As long as your children are safe, secure, loved, fed and watered you're doing everything right. Sod what the pompous do-gooders think.

If you can't just block them out you could always murder them and blame it on PND!

20. Pirate Wench

Gold Member

I don't even think I'd try that......sounds too much like an accident waiting to happen.
    What a mess.

For some reason this reminds me I was laughing about Dreyfus' character on Seinfeld judging guys on whether they were "sponge worthy" or not.....LOL
    You know....a contraceptive sponge.

We tried those a few times, but hubby always ended up getting them out for me !!....
    I couldn't get to the damned thing well enough to pull it out !! :eek:
    Didn't matter too much...I was on a temporary break from the pill.

Draft saved Draft deleted