moral and / or christian conservatism

ponybilt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Suaige, I don't understand the dissonance in some of your stances:

"I believe in religious absolutes..." and "I don’t agree with extremism in ANYTHING."

" I am pro-life and believe abortion is murder" and "sacrifice of one may be necessary and acceptable."

"I am opposed to the welfare state form of gov’t" and "I consider this left wing" (The biggest welfare programs are promoted and administered for the benefit of corporations by the conservative right wing, but maybe you didn't know this).

"I am opposed the promotion of special status by sex. pref." and "marriage being the obvious exemption"

Additionally, if marriage is a religious contract, then it shouldn't be endorsed by the government. People of faith can get married in a church, but in order to recieve all the gov't privileges, everyone should all have to go through civil union, IMHO, thereby allowing all couples the ability to receive those benefits. Or maybe just eliminate all the marriage benefits completely -- in this country you cannot offer benefits to one group of people and not another.

And then the simply offensive:

"I am pro-life and believe abortion is murder – not a form of birth control." What makes you think that women use this as a form of birth control?? Do you really believe that a woman would undergo a major operation as a form of birth control? Abortion is an option should an accident occur -- not an alternative to a condom.

Please clarify. Thanks.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, suaige, I don't see any Buddhists lighting queers on fire or flying planes into the World Trade Center, thus making it unique among missionary religions in that it has a low turnover rate (unlike New Age cults) and doesn't have a plan to take over the world (unlike Christianity and Islam).

As for New Age, I'll tell you, New Age cults generally only exist to make money for the leader (who will always deny being the leader). In fact, Paul Watson, Harley Reagan, and the Swallows are all decidedly in the black-helicopter crowd. My own people have actually declared war on white "shamans" (which isn't even a Lakota word but New Age marketing droids use it a lot) for exploiting our traditions.

http://puffin.creighton.edu/lakota/war.html
I believe in sex only in a lawful marriage –i.e. not including living together. The farther someone varies from this the more liberal they are.
But the definition of marriage varies from state to state. Actually, the "marriage license" is a holdover from anti-miscegenation laws, but let's not get into that.
I am pro-life and believe abortion is murder – not a form of birth control. I feel promotion of abortion is liberal. Consideration of mom’s life is necessary & if both will die, a sacrifice of one may be necessary and acceptable.
And unless you're against depleted uranium, cluster bombs, and land mines, among other weapons which apparently cause more civilian casualties than anything; against the death penalty; and in favor of a ban on assault weapons, you're a hypocrite. You also have to be against SUVs, which are far less maneuverable than other vehicles and tend to leave the rest of us blind. Guess which side the conservatives are on on all those issues?
Marriage doctrine or tradition. Marriage was created by God (Gen 2:24), not man, as the basis of society.
Let's make a marriage amendment based on the Bible.

Marriage shall be between one man and several women. (Genesis 29:17-28; II Samuel 3:2-5)
Marriage shall not impede a man's right to take additional sexual partners. (II Samuel; 5:13; I Kings 11:3; II Chronicles 11:21)
A marriage is only valid if the bride can prove her virginity; otherwise, she shall be stoned. (Deutoronomy 22:13-21)
Marriage between a believer and a nonbeliever is forbidden. (Genesis 24:3; Numbers 25:1-9; Ezra 9:12; Nehemiah 10:30)
Neither this Constitution nor the Constitution of any State, nor the law of the United States or any member State, shall be construed to permit divorce. (Deuteronomy 22:19; Mark 10:9)
Neither this Constitution nor the Constitution of any State, nor the law of the United States or any member State, shall be construed to prohibit a man marrying his niece, (Genesis 11:26,29) half-sister, (Genesis 20:12) aunt, (Exodus 6:20) or cousin of any degree. (Genesis 24:15, 48, 67; 28:2, 29:10; 29:28)
The Thirteenth Amendment is hereby repealed. A woman may force her slave to marry her husband. (Genesis 16) A master may force his slaves to marry until the slave becomes free. If a master elects to free a male slave, the male slave may annul the marriage. If he elects to remain married, his ear shall be pierced and he shall remain a slave. (Exodus 21:4-6)
If a man dies without a son, his brother shall be forced to marry the widow. If he refuses to marry the widow, his father shall marry the widow, and he shall pay the fine of one shoe and be otherwise punished in a manner proscribed by law. (Genesis 38:6-10; Deuteronomy 25:5-10)
Adulterers shall be stoned. (Leviticus 20:10)
We are by no means bound by heredity to be hetro/homo then we are to like the color green, but me may very well be predisposed to like one over the I believe nurture has a large part to do with this. It is influential in transitory homosex..
Just because something's not hereditary doesn't make it a choice, my friend. Nor is something hereditary necessarily inevitable. In fact, the old nature/nurture argument is far too reductionistic.
According to this I am opposed the promotion of special status by sex. pref. I think this is liberal.
I'm glad you have conceded the argument wrt same-sex marriage then.
Don’t think they should be treated as less, but not given special privileges like affirmative action. (marriage being the obvious exemption.)
First, gays don't get affirmative action; in fact, it's not very often that anyone goes around describing their sexual history on their job applications. (Unless you've ever worked as a prostitute in a state where prostitution's legal, of course.) Secondly, have you read the Bakke decision?
I was going to look this up but am out of time. There was a post about a 16 yr old asking about sex, 3 responses saying yeah nay were given, the 2 saying yeah were first, then a comment at 16 you should be concerned about your studies not sex. He received a response saying he should not push his opinions on others. But, he was no more pushy than the others and they were not reprimanded. Is it not just as fair for us to express warnings about what we feel is an unwise and potentially harmful idea as it is for others to express their promotion of it? This is what I feel has become very one sided.
I agree with you that you should be allowed to express your opinion. Unlike many other conservative cases (like when they argue that all child molesters are homosexuals, even those who molest members of the opposite sex, which is far more common; man-on-girl cases are the most common, followed by woman-on-boy, then man-on-boy; I have yet to find a case of woman-on-girl, not that I"m saying they don't exist).

If you don’t agree that Christians are discriminated against just say so and make your argument.
I'll instead make the argument that non-Christians are discriminated against more, and certainly more likely to be discriminated against by those in power.

Socket4Plug

1st Like
Media
I'm an infrequent poster but after reading most of this thread I'll toss another log on the fire. Sauige it's obvious you (as well as others who have replied) have strong beliefs based in whole or in part on what you have read or been taught from the Bible, the Old Testament, the New Testament and perhaps other religious books, documents, scrolls, what have you. But here's an interesting delima at least from my limited understanding. Are not all of these documents the word of God as transcribed by man? And man is fallable is he not? Is it not possible that somewhere long ago, a cleric got it wrong or colorized the transcription with his/her own beliefs, intentionally or otherwise? Food for thought perhaps.

I'll admit that I am not religious nor do I believe in God, Godess, Allah, Budda, or the "Deity du jour" as some of the more radical 'faiths' may represent. Religion in general to me is a repressive idea that has but one purpose - to give the few extreme power over the many for the purpose of forwarding their agenda.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
Perhaps it's better to not dissect the "is God real" argument again?
--------------
Pecker, when was the last time a Centrist tried to wipe out a group of people? I'd say I'm "Biased Centrist", because I'm apathetic. My name's not Martin Luther King Junior surprisingly.
----------------
I don't really feel that Christians are hugely discriminated AGAINST more like people like taunting in a south park fashion. As mentioned, it's an Xtian country with Bush at the helm, and the democratic process put him there. I know for a fact, I'm sure glad I'm not a Muslim in the US! Now there's when the suicide tablets should be used.

Bluespeedoz

Expert Member
Media
Originally posted by naughty@Sep 19 2004, 11:43 PM
Fellow members,

Suaige has expressed his beliefs and opinions in a non offensive and respectful manner. He has not called any one member out, he has not used derogatory names nor has he flamed anyone in his response to some rather angry responses to his post. I too am a christian. I also have friends and loved ones who are gay.I do not hate them I do not necessarily agree with their lifestyle but that does not stop me from loving them nor even having them as friends. Christ looked at the person not the behavior. But when he truly felt something was wrong he did not fail to let it be known. Yes, we all know of unfortunate individuals who have taken it upon themselves to serve as judge, jury and high executioner. But then there are people of every religion who have made a sham and mockery of their alleged beliefs.We in the United States and across the world are living with the daily results of this type of behavior a quite tragic example being 911. I was asked a few weeks ago why was I not as vociferous about certain things as other christians they had met and why was I here.I guess that is something I will have to answer for myself. But please note that many of our members come here for legitimate support in dealing with the unique challenges of extreme endowment.But that is only a small part of who they are. Please if you wish to be allowed to live and let live then try to do the same. Thank you.

naughty

[post=256676]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey there Naughty,

I couldn't agree more!

:)

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by ORCABOMBER@Sep 21 2004, 11:27 PM
I know for a fact, I'm sure glad I'm not a Muslim in the US!
[post=257017]Quoted post[/post]​
Did you know Osama bin Laden's against gay marriage?

suaige:
Originally posted by ponybilt@Sep 22 2004, 12:23 AM
Suaige, I don't understand the dissonance in some of your stances:
hm definately I seem very contradictory. I guess just goes to show I am not absolutest in everything.

"I believe in religious absolutes..." and "I don’t agree with extremism in ANYTHING."

I don't think absolutes and extremes are the same. Some laws of God will never change. But that does not mean that I need to use them to pull off another inquisition and torture people to join the church. A point was made that the current situation is deserving payback for centuries of atrocities done in the name of Christ. I can see that. I too have how such a mentality can be wedged into christianity, much the same way people are being beheaded in the name of Islam. It is in my opinion nothing but evil being perfomred in the name of Christ.

" I am pro-life and believe abortion is murder" and "sacrifice of one may be necessary and acceptable."

I am not so absolutest on abortion as to say that we must allow the mother to die with the technology we have if abortrion is the only way to save her life. But I do believe many people use it as a form of birth control, I know that it is seen that way in China I have talked to them.

"I am opposed to the welfare state form of gov’t" and "I consider this left wing" (The biggest welfare programs are promoted and administered for the benefit of corporations by the conservative right wing, but maybe you didn't know this).

some exapmles please. I am interested, becuase know I do not know what you are referring to.

"I am opposed the promotion of special status by sex. pref." and "marriage being the obvious exemption"

I think this argument has more or less died but there was a big push to get sexual orientation added as a special class for programs like affirmative action. I do not support such. ----------Hm - want to stately clearly. I support laws that prevent discrimination in the work place, hate crime and the like. This seems to be ultimately contradictory as I support the ban on gay marriage. I feel this is a bigger issue with more sides. Yet I am still torn, because I am sure that many will use it to support their hatred, bashing, and barbarism for lack of a better word. Its kind of a catch 22 in my mind. can't likely have it either way with out the other being stuck on.

Additionally, if marriage is a religious contract, then it shouldn't be endorsed by the government. People of faith can get married in a church, but in order to recieve all the gov't privileges, everyone should all have to go through civil union, IMHO, thereby allowing all couples the ability to receive those benefits. Or maybe just eliminate all the marriage benefits completely -- in this country you cannot offer benefits to one group of people and not another.

What is IMHO. Interesting argument. I stated that family not marriage was institued of God and you can't rightly have it as I described with out marriage. Which as I am sure you have deducted I believe was also started by God. We have definatley developed a system of convenience. ------ and sure you can give benes to one group and not another in our country. As a white, healthy, non-military child, no-corporate child, male, you know how much govt assistance I qualify for and how many scholarships I qualify for. Almost none. It was finally deemed reverse discrimination as far as scholarships go. So yeah happens all the time.

And then the simply offensive:

"I am pro-life and believe abortion is murder – not a form of birth control." What makes you think that women use this as a form of birth control?? Do you really believe that a woman would undergo a major operation as a form of birth control? Abortion is an option should an accident occur -- not an alternative to a condom.

I am honestly happy to hear that you do not consider it a form of birth control, but do you really think there have been over 35 million accidents in the US and that stat is 10+ years old. What do you consider an accident other than unintended pregnancy. Thats not an accident. It is the consequences of very specific acctions. Its not like a woman is going to get pregant with out knowing it, unless she is so blasted under then influence that she has no idea what she's are doing, but then again that barring the rare exception is a choice she made too. But that is a whole nother topic maybe we really don't need to breach too far.

and Yes, I have talked so some who have and they did not consider it an operation if it is done early enough. One even described it as minimally intrusive. No cutting of mom, no stitches, just some stretching and away you go. The perfect way out.

One other really good point was made......., oh yes, marriage in Genesis. Quite interesting. Well there are several accounts of polygyny in the old testament up through the Law of Moses. Guess we need more info on this topic. The conditions that make it acceptable or not acceptable certainly are not explained there. And not continued in the new testament law either. As for the allowance of what we would consider incest, well don't really know what to say about that other than I am an inbreed so I guess I fit in ( g-g-grandparents were 1st cousins :huh: ) by the way impressive list of scriptures. Out of curiosity, own research of found info?

anti-miscegenation -- cohabitation of a white person and a person of another race.
really? Intersting, learn new tidbits every day.

Never thought of hetrosexual marriage as special status for them. good point.

Oh and yes, there are mistranslations in the Bible it even contradicts itself on numbers and the like that while small things and pretty unimportant proves the point it happened. Were it not for some of the confusion as to what finally got into the bible and what didn't, and the translation over time, we would probably have a lot fewer christian religions. And the whole death of the apostles thing, that really put a dent in keeping things organized for a couple of hundred years. Then the whole doctinal change arguements, before or after 325 both??? I do not hold the bible infallible as some do, it is none the less valuable. I believe it to be primarily accurate and sufficient to be used especially when couple with the guidance of the Holy Ghost. I find it interesting too that some of the most debated topics seem to me to be some of the clearest. go figure.

Oh there was a comment about us praying to a ghost. I always thought with the evil connotations we associate with ghosts in the western world Holy Spirit might be a better choice of words even though I am accustomed to Holy Ghost. Just a small point, I pray to my Father in Heaven, answers come through the Holy Ghost. I say try it till you understand it, you might like it. It is really quite an amazing experience you just don't understand with out first hand experience.

a thought on church and state. I wish I had original refrences but I don't. The whole separation of church and state. Start of ammendment 1
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion was to prevent a state sponsored church. As shown by Jacksons reply to a woman who heard the country was started one. "There will be an effectual wall of seperation between the church and state." While the first says we will pass no laws about religion and the 2nd says we will stay separate, but neither deny the mixing of religious principles with government. quote was to the effect, this goverment must be over a law abiding citizenry who follow christain principles as it is wholly inadequate to govern any other. This isn't exact but the meaning is the same. There is an ad campaign here that has used this and I have heard other similar quotes else where that this was not the founding fathers intend at all to have a wholly secualr govt. but one that didn't interfere religion or establish a state church. It seems that many try to stretch it to the point as to say anything that resembles religous belief or the mixing in anyway of church and state as being forbidden. Such as I am not allowed to read the bible on my own time at school, or even say a personal silent prayer. Both have been challenged in court.

Please clarify. Thanks.
[post=256979]Quoted post[/post]​

And again, I am sure I have offended some, but I appreciate those who offer their opinions, becuase it is helping me to understand others better. I hope it is for others as well. Ignorance is I feel the basis of most hatred. Willful ignorance is just danged annoying. Not changing my beliefs but some of my opinions.

Don't ya just love religious and political discussions, they get so heated and impassioned. Yet I think this one has gone well so far. Probably a good thing, most of us don't seem to easily offended. Thanks Y'all.

alright jonb how do you do that cool split quote thing?

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

I got the split quotes like this:

[ quote ]
All your base are belong to us.
[ /quote ]
What you say?

[ quote ]
You have no chance to survive make your time.
[ /quote ]
For great justice.

Remove the spaces in the brackets, and you get:

All your base are belong to us.
What you say?

You have no chance to survive make your time.
For great justice.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
It's understandable that you're a bit homophobic; you were only raped by your uncle and all. But I've known women who were raped, and they didn't hate all men.

Some examples of corporate welfare: Tax breaks for SUV owners, Halliburton, electronic voting machines, tax breaks for companies which ship jobs overseas, banning prescription drugs from Canada, the mission to Mars . . . Did you know that if you own a Hummer, you get a tax cut equal to its price? Bush described the Republican philosophy fairly well: "People are being held accountable, and it hurt our economy."

My own research on the incest ones and slave marriage; the rest was listed on a radio talk show. Oh, as for Adam and Eve; remember that Eve was Adam's transgender clone. With reproductive technologies as they are, we can reproduce that family arrangement as well. I forgot to mention Deuteronomy 22:28-29, wherein the punishment for rape is to pay 50 shekels and marry the victim. Right now, that's just over $11.16

Western marriage was originally a contract between the relatives we know as "in-laws"; only the really rich ever got married, and even then it was to establish economic alliances. This changed in the 19th century, when the bourgeoisie decided they could be better than the old aristocrats. (Needless to say, they weren't: The word "masochist" comes from Leopold von Sacher-Masoch.) Monogamy in the West goes back to Augustus, due to falling birth rates among Roman elite.

No law respecting the establishment of religion NOR PREVENTING THE EXERCISE THEREOF. The second half is just as important, as many religions allow for same-sex marriage.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I find it difficult to understand how the simplest things in the New Testament can be overlooked in preference of isolating seemingly negative ideas. Jesus was cool, no doubt about it. He made it clear that he had been sent to replace the law, so ANYONE who EVER uses a quote from the Old Testament to give evidence of how life should be lived today is already in error. Start there and move forward. The new law of the land is LOVE- "Love thy neighbor as thyself". Husbands are directed to "Love their wives as God loved the church". These are not polite suggestions, but LAWS given to followers of Jesus in replacement of Levitical law.
Even in the Old Testament, there are a small handful of references to homosexuality, but hundreds of references to mold, mildew and filth. What could this possibly mean? Maybe in stead of worrying about homosexuals you should go home and clean your house?

suaige:
Originally posted by madame_zora@Sep 23 2004, 07:44 PM
Maybe in stead of worrying about homosexuals you should go home and clean your house?
[post=257238]Quoted post[/post]​

LOL -- do so regularly.

I quote the old testament mostly becuase I am reading it - backwards. I agree that the Law of Moses was superceded and I live according to the law of the new testament. But feel there is still much to learn about the shall we say attitude of God. Such as not only the harshness of a lot of the punishments, but also the exacting of equality in justice, the demand for mercy and concern for one another and their property and the like. an example of adultary, it was a capital crime for both people involved. I don't see how the Lord would then turn around in giving a higher law and say it was OK. So I feel it is still helpful to understand, like studying history to understand the founding fathers. Same for other topics- sexuality which has been the emphasis of many posts. I quote OT, can find refrences in NT, Romans 1:26-27. My point is not to bash or belabour this point, was just giving my opinion.

And I agree I think with what madame_zora says ( if i interpret it right), we choose a focus in life and can seek to do our best and promote the well being of ourselves and others or we can spend out time focusing on that which separates and divides us. Which some may say I am doing. But I am very much enjoying learning more of how others feel. :D

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I quote the old testament mostly becuase I am reading it - backwards. I agree that the Law of Moses was superceded and I live according to the law of the new testament. But feel there is still much to learn about the shall we say attitude of God. Such as not only the harshness of a lot of the punishments, but also the exacting of equality in justice, the demand for mercy and concern for one another and their property and the like. an example of adultary, it was a capital crime for both people involved. I don't see how the Lord would then turn around in giving a higher law and say it was OK. So I feel it is still helpful to understand, like studying history to understand the founding fathers. Same for other topics- sexuality which has been the emphasis of many posts. I quote OT, can find refrences in NT, Romans 1:26-27. My point is not to bash or belabour this point, was just giving my opinion.

You quote the Old Testament because you are reading it? You mean the same Old Testament where the old mans daughters 'sleep'with their father so he can have some male offspring? (I believe this guy may have been Lot after his wife turned to salt)
The Old Testament where a man sends his daughters out to strangers so his house guest will be safe?
Actually I think I can offer you a different point of view Suaige, you see I come from a mixed religion background. My father was a Catholic and mother was Jewish which makes me technically Jewish. Anyway the thing is I grew up in a time when we called the holiday Christmas and then there was Easter. The rotten part of this is that it denied a lot of people their heritage. I mean what did my Jewish cousins care about Christmas or Easter? The idea of Winter break and Spring break works. Why? Because it an all inclusive format and observes a season not any religious observances. What could be more beautiful than celebrating a season? Should summer time in the U.S. be changed to Independence Day until Labor Day break for students who have the summer off from school? I realize the P.C. stuff gets out of whack sometimes but for re-naming a break that is all inclusive I do not think that to be the case.
Moving along I need now to comment on the whole gay marriage issue. I am gay, but have no real understanding of the idea of gay marriage. It just doesn't seem to make sense to me. Now, that said, I do feel that gays should be entitled to the same rights as all others. Keep in mind Saiuge that if you look back in history there was a time when a white woman with a black man was a criminal offense, even if they just happened to be walking along a street together talking. He would be marked for lynching. Is this what you propose for gays who choose to marry each other? Remember love has no bounderies. If you believe in God as The Great Creator and one who loves all His children, then that same God wants only happiness for all (to the degreee that said happieness does not involve intentional violence against another.)
Keep in mind your same Bible says that man was created in God's image, this says that God also holds gay persons near and dear.
Are you also of the mindset that a person with a non-functioning penis (impotent, injurie to the penis etc.) should not be allowed to marry just because he will be unable to sire children? And what of a woman who is unable to conceive a child? Should she be bannished to a far off land and forced to live a life without any love?
Since you are so enamored of ancient writings, might I suggest you also read The Code of Hammarabbi (spell check please)? You should also keep in mind that the current translations of the Bible have evolved over time and that as they evolved the ideas and morals of their time were woven into the sacred words. This does not diminish the over-all nature of the words biut it does make us stop and think. Need more proof of changes and differences? Read 3 different versions of the Bible. Try the King James, St. Joseph's and Revised Standard Version. The differences are wide as the Jordan River and as deep as the Red Sea. what is real and what is right? I really do not know other than my unyielding belief that complete and total love is all that God wants for us and that includes men loving men and women loving women not just men/women mergers. As I mentioned earlier, your way of thinking is similar to the folks in Mississippi who in the 1940's thought nothing of hunting down and hanging a 14 year old black boy to death for having looked in the direction of a 14 year old white girl.

Socket4Plug

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by suaige@Sep 21 2004, 03:34 PM
I am pro-life and believe abortion is murder – not a form of birth control. I feel promotion of abortion is liberal. Consideration of mom’s life is necessary & if both will die, a sacrifice of one may be necessary and acceptable.
[post=256945]Quoted post[/post]​

This is a little off the topic but Sauige's comments above made me think of it. I'm not really sure how but the pro-life/pro-choice debate got started at the office the other day over lunch with a pro-choice supporter bringing up an interesting point. This was her question:

"How can the pro-life camp support artificial insemenation? Part of the process is fertilizing 10-12 eggs from the female and once the fertilization is complete those that are deemed to be the 2-3 healthiest eggs are inserted back into the female and the rest are disposed of. From my understanding, most religions would believe all of the now fertilized eggs are technically a life at that point as they have been fertilized by the male. With that belief that a life has been created would that not be murder in the eyes of a pro-lifer? How is an abortion by choice of the female carrying a few week old fetus any different than tossing the 7-8 fertilized viable eggs in the trash?"

Our one resident pro-life individual had this look of utter disgust on her face and had no more to say.

I personally am pro-choice *BUT* I too have a problem with abortion when used as a form of birth control. Prevention of unwanted pregnancy is a much better route.

ponybilt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Socket, you bring up a very relevant point.

Of all the women I know, most are either neutral regarding abortion or they believe a woman should be able to opt for it if it fits her circumstances.

None of the women I know would ever consider it for a form of birth control. It simply makes no sense to them (nor to me). And yes, prevention is much better, but in order to prevent, you must be educated in human sexuality -- and the right wing wants neither abortion nor sex ed. Damned if you do....

Considering that condoms, birth control pills, and other forms of birth control all have some level of failure rate, women who get pregnant should have more than one choice.

The "abortion as birth control" is more propaganda spin spouted by the right wing because the notion itslef is distasteful to everyone, so they gain a widespread agreement that abortion is bad -- because **no one** believes it's a good form of birth control.

I'll tell you, they may have flunked Logic 101, but they know how to manipulate.

suaige: just had a thought, seems to me as far as non chirstians looking at christian doctrine I have noticed 2 things and this may be scewed sp? by the particular topic. the 2 mosted commented on items were,
1) the old testament law of moses was superceded by the higher law in the new testament. So it is dead - no reason to refrence it at all.
2) the most important law in the new testament was love one another as I have loved you. often sited here as love everyone unconditionally.

Are these gernerally the basis of how non-chirstians judge christians and christian doctrine? I kind of get that feeling.

Also there was generally no distinction made between how to say this clearly. It seems people say we have to love everybody regardless, there for we have to accept them whatever they are doing and thereby have to accept what they do, because the commandment to love every one is so all inclusive. So there are no restrictions commandments that take president over that one. Am I right or am I reading too much into this.

Too me I see it as 2 different things. I say yes that is a very important commandment, one we could all improve on I'm sure, myself I know I could. But that this commandment, does not mean that Christ did not give other commandments, prescribing and proscribing man othe things. I often state this comination the distinguishing factor as hate the sin, but not the sinner. For example, in the new testament it condemns adultary. Even says if a man lusts after a woman in his thoughts its like he has done it already. my uncle did it with like 3 women. does the requirement to love him, make what he did OK, or is it still wrong?
OK. am I right? What do y'all say. end of that thought

It seems to me a variant form of this nondistinguishing is where many people become judge jury and executioner. say for example, I have talked to people who say they hate all child molesters, no understandind of why it happens or anything. they are all evil. And unbeknowst to them they associate with one. I know a few of them. no forgiveness nothing. the crime was so evil, the person must be too. pretty sad. just a thought seemed related to this thread in general that I think a lot of people use as a form of bias. I am by no means saying if I have interpreted correctly as to how people look at christians I think you are being judge jury and executioner, that is like saying Koolaid and Vodka are equally strong drinks.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by suaige@Sep 24 2004, 12:46 AM
just had a thought, seems to me as far as non chirstians looking at christian doctrine I have noticed 2 things and this may be scewed sp? by the particular topic. the 2 mosted commented on items were,
1) the old testament law of moses was superceded by the higher law in the new testament. So it is dead - no reason to refrence it at all.
So you agree with the decision to not allow the Ten Commandments. ;) Jesus himself actually never said anything about homosexuals. (In fact, in Matthew 8:5-13, the Greek word pais is mistranslated as "servant". As to what pais means, I'm sure you're familiar with one of its derivatives: Pederasty. Luke chose the more neutral doulos in Luke 7:1-10.)

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by ponybilt@Sep 23 2004, 07:51 PM
Considering that condoms, birth control pills, and other forms of birth control all have some level of failure rate, women who get pregnant should have more than one choice.
[post=257304]Quoted post[/post]​
Actually, hysterectomy has a 0% failure rate. But that's rarely used as simply a form of birth control; it's mostly used for cancer patients.

I'm just wondering who would undergo major surgery just as a form of birth control. The closest to abortion as birth control is the morning-after pill, typically prescribed to rape victims. Needless to say, under the global gag order, Bush says that even rape victims shouldn't have access to it. (You run into a problem with the abortion debate and rape, since the only logically consistent position is to not allow rape victims to have abortions.)

Oh, one of my favorites was a freeper arguing that homosexuals were the main supporters of the abortion industry. (I had no idea same-sex couples needed to worry about birth control.)

Personally, I'll take a position on abortion the minute I get pregnant.

522: question is, is the bible all the scripture there is or is anything else that can substantiate or clarify it?

suaige:
So you agree with the decision to not allow the Ten Commandments. ;)

well I guess if that is how you want to interpret that - um sure ;) . But be both should know that the 10 commandments weren't part of the Law of Moses and therefore were not replaced. So I guess not eh.

Jesus himself actually never said anything about homosexuals. (In fact, in Matthew 8:5-13, the Greek word pais is mistranslated as "servant". As to what pais means, I'm sure you're familiar with one of its derivatives: Pederasty. Luke chose the more neutral doulos in Luke 7:1-10.)
[post=257394]Quoted post[/post]​

OK now I'm just confused, in the King James Bible both of these refrences are of Christ healing the Centurian's servant and I do not see how this relates to sexuality at all.

By the way you didn't even offer an opinion on my question.

The discussion of sexual prefrence was by no means the intended point of this thread but as it has become so for the sake of further the discussion, I find it interesting, I reply
You may be right on Christ himself having said nothing in the new testament on homosexuality at least that was recorded, theres probably lots of such things. I can't think of any refrence, and my 598 page Topical guide has no refrences to homosexuality in the gospels. The first refrence it has in the NT is the same one I refernced Roman 1:26-27, the train of thought actually goes from v 13-32. I figure whether Christ himself stated it or one of his apostles whom he called and was the major voice of the church outside of Israel it is the same. Probably a pretty useless point to argue, but that is partly where I get my beliefs from.

On the hystorectomy thing. After having an ovary removed, and still getting pregnant 2x on the pill my mom had one for birth control, but by then it was pretty much the last option. everthing else had failed. 8 kids 9 yrs.. :eek:
My grandma's theory was my dad was just too horny.

would like to know the basis of the freepers argument (whats a freeper?) like you say doesn't really make sense does it. I would guess he equates the freedom to choose in both instances as mutually binding and therefore, mutually supporting? But they let us all know when you get pregnant, :D maybe we can throw a baby shower :p for ya. B)