More Baby Daddy's : Report: Babies Increasingly Born to Unwed Mothers

StrictlyAvg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
And how long do they stay a couple?

You tell me!

Even if I found a figure it would have to be compared against a figure of divorce rates in marriages by the time the kid's 16. Because we're only really concerned in this discussion about relationships that break down while any child is classed as dependent. I don't think the stats go into that level of detail.

D

deleted15807

Grrr, this needs more thought than I have time for right now. Just have a few points I need to get out right now.
Why is it always men who are upset about the numbers of single moms increasing?
Not exactly: And Baby Makes TwoForget Juno. Out-of-wedlock births are a national catastrophe. By Emily Yoffe

I was raised by a single mother and it is NOT a choice she would have made.

There is minimal societal stigma to being a single mom or teen mom.
And are you saying it’s a good thing there is no stigma for being a teen mom? That would be the wrong message.
I have no problem with a college educated, working woman choosing to raise a child alone as she is less likely to become a burden on society, her family, and the system.

Less likely? Is this good for the child? Or is this just to make mom feel good?

Besides if the average woman waits for the right man to come along and marry her prior to having children, she could be menopausal.

The 'right man'. You mean the men that are left after all the pre-qualifications are applied (education, background, age, height, resources, dick size, etc).

Sex is essential, kids aren’t - Los Angeles Times

Boys need to be taught that to grow up, go to college, work, and get married and have children is a good thing. Most men in their 20's and 30's treat marriage like a hand grenade with the pin removed.

The census statistics are not with you here. http://www.census.gov/population/socdemo/hh-fam/tabMS-2.pdf

For 10 years, the Fragile Families and Child Wellbeing Study at Princeton University has followed the families of 5,000 children, three-quarters born to unwed parents. According to the research, most of these parents, both women and men, said they wanted to get married—and to each other. But they somehow feel this mutual decision is beyond their power to make. And by not making it, the forces of inertia start pulling them apart. Five years after their children's births, only 16 percent of the couples had married, and 60 percent had split.

So you see now we start out being an 'unwed mother' but in the end we end up with 'single mother'.

Last edited by a moderator:

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
what he said

Most of what you say makes good sense.
A few things I take issue with.

First society has changed since the 50's - agreed.
Second - Men (boys by their behavior) will not change on their own.
Life is great! Women have sex with them. They leave when the baby comes. There always seems to be another woman that will have sex with them and repeat the mistake of the first.
Third - The behavior of Women (girls by their foolishness with boys) is what has to change.
Since they will probably continue to have sex with boys - having sex responsibly is the key.
Fourth - Please!
"Why is it always men who are upset about the numbers of single moms increasing? Maybe if y'all stepped up to the plate and acted like men instead of selfish babies there wouldn't be so many fatherless children and single moms struggling to exist. :angryfire2:"
Many have stepped up to the plate. Nobody notices. Such men do exist.
And always men upset. Come on now - maybe you just couldn't pass up a chance to bash men but a hell of a lot of women are upset about it.
Especially the grandmothers that often end up raising the kids because their daughter (the single mom) is unable or unwilling to.
Fifth - I have no problem with a college educated, working woman choosing to raise a child alone as she is less likely to become a burden on society, her family, and the system.
I realize you do not from other posts you have made and that you have expressed a desire to become a mother.
I have a problem with it.
There is more to raising a child than financial ability.
It is difficult to raise a child when the mother and father are both there.
It is harder on parent and child when only one is there.
I know everyone knows of someone where things seem fine with only one parent.
Well, we view those situations from the outside and reality might be much different from public perception.
We also will never know how much better things could have been if the road taken was the one with two parents.

Signed
Financially able single father