More counterproductive economic policies abound

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_starinvestor, Mar 9, 2009.

1. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Of the numerous, mind-boggling missteps taken by the current Administration to stimulate our fledgling economy, which is the worst? It's difficult, at this point, to quantify. The combination of most of the errors will simply keep our economy and workforce in dire straits for ages beyond when a natural recovery would have occurred without their interference.

Of particular interest, though, is the carbon cap-and-trade tax -- a scheme aimed at "arresting" global warming.

Ironic, and fitting, Nancy Pelosi was scheduled to speak at a global warming protest on Capital Hill late last month, but her flight to D.C. was cancelled due to a major snow storm. On the same day, Discovery News reported a study that global temperatures had flatlined since 2001.

Global Warming: On Hold?: Discovery News

Researcher Kyle Swanson, atmospheric scientist, says the current global cooling is like "nothing we've seen since 1950." Hmm. We are creating more hurdles for businesses, in an attempt to disarm...ah, global warming? Or is it global cooling?

Where's global warming? - The Boston Globe

Since this is a tax on energy production, it will ripple through nearly every segment of the economy, and feast on the pocketbooks of everyday Americans.

In fact, Dr. Margo Thorning says that Obama's carbon tax will cost the average American family between $700 and $1,400 per year. Lemme see...Joe Schmoe took a pay cut, his wife lost her job, no more matching on his 401k (which is down 55%), his medical insurance is increasing by 28%......and now [drumroll please............Tada!] he will incur several hundreds of dollars in new expenses from Obama's energy tax!! Betcha he goes and spends bigtime!! Do I see a new car in his future??

Dr. Margo Thorning Reacts to President Obama's Address

Can we get one single piece of legislation passed that actually stimulates....and doesn't impede...economic activity?

Its difficult to blame Obama for all of this, because he never had a clue in the first place. However, his disciples are helping him to push that ultra-liberal agenda through at Mach III and it is difficult to see any worthwhile solutions on the horizon with this Administation.

They're already writing checks we can't cash, and there doesn't seem to be any end in sight.

2. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Our economy isn't fledgling, dumbshit. It's been around for quite some time.

FYI, the temps hit 90F here during the last week of February...more than three full weeks before the official end of winter..

3. pym

pym New Member

Star: "Its difficult to blame Obama for all of this, because he never had a clue in the first place. However, his disciples are helping him to push that ultra-liberal agenda through at Mach III and it is difficult to see any worthwhile solutions on the horizon with this Administation."

I new you would be back with your totally skewed brand of Bull-shit.
    President Obama is fighting for the very life of our country. It has got nothing to do with 'Ultra-liberal agenda's'. At least some people in America see this as OUR country's problem......Not the fault{or herculean task} of partisan politics.
    This has come down to the wire.....and you obviously will cheer the wrong side of every issue as usual. What a surprise......NOT.

4. pym

pym New Member

Starinvestor: 24/7 x's 365 ALL DAY......ALL NIGHT......ALL WEEK.....EVERY MONTH.....ALL YEAR.......INCLUDING HOLIDAYS.

All THE S{NEWS} that fits we print.

5. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

It's BAAAAAAAAAACK!

6. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    First off, welcome back Star. Nick4444 is in the corner over there jumping up and down clapping his hands. I think he's baked some cookies for you. :wink:

Secondly, Dr margo wrote: "The PresidentÂ’s ambitious agenda contains many worthwhile initiatives, in particular for education and health care." Which doesn't exactly support the premise of your thread.

AND
    "The President also wants to double the use of renewable energy in 3 years. The reason renewable energy has not significantly increased its overall share of the U.S energy supply in recent years in spite of large amounts of federal funding and subsidies is it that it costs substantially more than conventional energy. Substituting more expensive renewable energy for cheaper conventional is exactly the wrong medicine for the quite sick U.S. economy."

How is the US economy ever going to get off the tit of expensive imported mid-east oil? Federal support for the renewable industry is critical help in attaining that goal. Think how much better it would be for the US economy, if you weren't shipping all those dollars overseas to nations that don't really give a shit about you, other than the fact that you are their best customer.

It's not all about global warming. Investing in (encouraging) this new technology will have multiple benefits: new jobs, less pollution, profits staying in country. The US gov. has a long, fairly successful, history of investing in and subsiding industry. The Erie Canal, railroads, airlines, highways, dams, the TVA, semi-conductors, the internet, sattilite communications. The list is long. It's huge undertaking to reinvent how we use and produce energy and like the other investments of the past, far to big and risky for private industry to do alone.

I think Obama's energy, confidence and vision is just what America needs in these times. He's going to make mistakes; he's said so himself. But it's time to move on and quit talking about "energy independence", and actually do something about it, other than short term band-aids. Christ, I've heard the politicans and pundits and business leaders go on about it since 1974 and they have done exactly fuck all about it.

Instead of trying to pull down someone who actually wants to do the right thing, I think the opposition would help themselves by offering some positive solutions other than "cutting taxes". LOL.

#6 vince, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  7. B_New End

B_New End New Member

nm

#7 B_New End, Mar 9, 2009
  8. B_starinvestor

The global economy is indeed a fledgling economy. And dumb-shit should be hyphenated.

Was that the same week that Atlanta and Charlotte had a snow emergency? FYI, yes it was.

9. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    All those hours, and this lame scrambling backpedal is all you come up with, Festor? I actually read your OP. You weren't talking about the global economy. You made specific reference to the current administration's efforts to stimulate our economy.

The word you were looking for, dumbshit, was foundering. If you weren't such a dumbshit, you would've already known that...but you not knowing what you're talking about doesn't surprise anyone at this point. :rolleyes:

Just man up and admit you were trying to sound more intelligent than you actually are by using language that you don't really understand.

Got an authoritative citation for that proclamation, dumbshit? Or do you expect us to believe that somehow you suddenly do know what you're talking about?

:chairfall:

Hmmm, snow in winter? BFD. A week of summer temps in winter? WTF?

#9 HazelGod, Mar 9, 2009
  10. B_starinvestor

Nasalblob wold be a fantastic teacher's assistant.

While you are grading 3rd grade English assignments, keep in mind that there is a worldwide economic and confidence crisis out there which is costing people jobs, homes, education funds, retirements, etc.

While some people [1 or 2] ejaculate over grammatical mistakes and typos, others may choose to contribute a thought or opinion on current affairs - or anything that relates to the thread in question.

As always, the infantile and insult-laden retorts of a chosen few are as inevitable as the record-setting, freezing temperatures around the globe each and every year.

11. pym

pym New Member

Silly StaffInfection.........you haven't changed a bit.
    It's still all about the Lib-tards with you isn't it.
    Shame,Shame,Shame.

12. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Starman! I'm going out to dinner tonight, so can't contribute to your latest effort (just yet), but wanted to welcome you back.

I've already showered first (eating mexican) -- because it's inordinately warm here in Los Angeles for this time of year. -- By the way, if I run into any politically motivated, slanted, anti-global warming articles by that same dozen scientists that make a good living opposing the vast majority of the world scientific community consensus, I'll send them your way (these same scientists are busy right now saying embryonic stem cell research is not necessary... they all seem to be connected to the Heritage Foundation & the Family Research Council)

Anyway, welcome back.

13. lucky8

Gold Member

The man does have a point about the carbon tax...

...besides, geologically speaking, we're about due for an ice age anyways, so global warming isn't what we should be concerned about considering the Earth has been warming for the last 15,000-17,000 years...If 80 degree weather in February is global warming, I say bring it on. I have central air.

14. sargon20

Gold Member

And somehow we knew It wouldn't waste ONE day before getting Faux News back in business on LPSG. It was so quiet. Nice. Now this is what it sounds like When Doves Cry.

15. B_starinvestor

I don't completely disagree with you. Some of these initiatives could be introduced down the road. For now we need to STOP introducing legislation that is harmful to the economy. We need stimulus, not handcuffs, in a deep recession.

16. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Global environmental collapse trumps global economic collapse in importance. IMO.

(Both are very bad, mind you, but one is worse.)

17. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Yeah, star. I'll second will and welcome you back and second sargon and say it was quieter--a little more boring, in fact-- without you around here. And tell you that somewhere Nick4444 is looking for his pom-poms and getting ready to cheer for you.

I was at Radio City tonight watching Bill Maher take Ann Coulter apart (although I'll give the girl credit; there were 4 balls on that stage. Six if you count the moderator) and picturing you with skinny legs in a long, blond wig. Actually, it turns out the two of them like each other in an odd sort of way despite the fact that they are diametrically opposed. Funny.

So, since I'm tired and going to bed I'll just remind you that global warming is a rather broad generalization for the wide variations in weather caused by climate change...or maybe it's the other way around. Yep. I'm too tired for this tonight.

18. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Sounds more like a obsessively, clucking chicken if you ask me... :biggrin:
    But I digress, of course.

19. B_starinvestor

I'll have to take your word for that....usually its the other way around. So you were in the audience? That sounds really cool....

Now that's funny! :eek:

20. Incocknito

Gold Member

I think you are great, starinvestor.

You're obviously much smarter than any other forum member and you have that uncanny ability to predict things that never happened.

Where is your proof that 'if government didn't interfere' that the economy would be in a better state than it is now? I'm not really into politics but it was my understanding that the current economic crisis was caused precisely because government didn't interefere/regulate the banking system.

I would also like to remind you that the current situation is a result of the actions of previous administrations, not the current one.

You do the best with what you have and I think that's what Obama is doing. I saw Bush doing as little as possible and actually making things worse such as in regards to Katrina, Iraq, Stem Cell Research.

Draft saved Draft deleted