More daughters following dad’s career path

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
More daughters following dad’s career path
About 20 percent of women follow in father’s footsteps, new study finds

Women nowadays are three times more likely than those born a century ago to do what men have done for millennia — follow their father's footsteps into his line of work, a newly announced study finds. One way or another, fathers and daughters have been paying more attention to each other, and daughters picked up job cues or assistance from dads, as more and more women entered the labor force, the research suggests. Just under 6 percent of women born from 1909 to 1915 worked in their father's occupation, while around 20 percent of women born in the mid-1970s do so (they are in their early 30s now), the researchers found. Some of this increase is just a result of women's increased participation in the work force — women's labor force participation has tripled in the past century.

However, economists Melinda Morrill of North Carolina State University and Judith Hellerstein of the University of Maryland, College Park, also were able to statistically pull out the impact of dad's work on a daughter's career choice. They found that a significant amount of the probability that a woman will follow in her father's occupational footsteps can be attributed just to the increased transmission of "occupation-specific human capital" between fathers and daughters. (They didn't focus on mothers' impact on daughters' career choice because for many of the older women in their sample, their mothers were not in the labor force, though that could be a factor in the future.)

So tell me fellas, how many of your daughters are in the same line of work you are? :confused:

My dad had his own exterminating business for a while when I was young. For most of my life he was the Deputy EEO Officer for a Naval Base. I don't like bugs and I will go light years out of my way to avoid confrontation. So there was pretty much no chance of my following in his footsteps professionally. :redface:

Altitude

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Well my dad was a telecommunications engineer, but my sister's in real estate/mortgage brokerage.... so yeah, not really following in footsteps :p

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, my father managed a grocery store right out of high school, then he joined the air force, then he worked for a company that does a lot of different things - welding, hauling oil, water, dirt and gravel, and they have a roustabout (oil well checking) service, and a backhoe service. Then he worked as a police officer for a good 10 years, now he's working at that company again as a supervisor.

I would never want to do what he does now, and I don't think I'd like to be a police officer either. I have thought about being in the AF, but I'm a little too lazy for that, and I don't like being yelled at. lol.