More Maine Gay Marriage fallout; "The Gay ATM is CLOSED"; the system of Gay Apartheid

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
MercyfulFate writes:

Frankly, raging about this subject, along with abortion and others are things I don't do. Nothing I can say is something that hasn't already been said, so why bother?

--------------------

But, Mercyful! You state opinions all the time that have been given a hundred thousand times over!

Example: From your very own thread, Radio Host Mancow admits Waterboarding IS torture, you write: "So, anyone still support this barbaric and completely idiotic practice that gets us no useful information?"

Thank you for that! I completely & wholeheartedy agree that waterboarding elicits no useful information, and I've heard the arguments a thousand times over, but there are not really any new arguments left under the sun are there?

Which leads us to Bbuckos point: Why is it you obfuscate and avoid and strike a defensive posture with certain specific issues - yet freely give your opinions on other topics that have been "done to death"?

1. I'm talking about going into detail and talking about the context of this forum. Gay marriage is topic #1 that's everywhere and talked about constantly, others, not so much. Nothing can be said on the topic that hasn't been said here, and I'm not talking about before I ever posted here. I haven't read everything here, it's in a specific time frame in which I've observed the topics. I've heard a million people talk about the weather in person, but if it wasn't discussed here it doesn't really apply to what I'm saying.

2. From when I started actually paying attention to this section, I haven't seen a ton of threads on waterboarding/torture. If someone made another one today, I might not respond.

3. I'm selective in what I choose to discuss, if I feel it's pointless, I don't bother.

I explained all this. Ain't nothing about being defensive, I just choose what I want to discuss at that particular time. In regards to this topic it wasn't gay marriage, it was rhetoric people were lobbing about the subject I felt like talking about.

I shouldn't have to answer for what I do and do not talk about, but it seems like that's a big thing here. If someone made a topic about a missing child plastered all over the news, I'd make an equally obtuse comment about it.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I hate the word "terrorism".

And I wish it weren't both appropriate and necessary to use it.

Frankly this is something I don't care about expressing my opinion over, draw whatever conclusions you will, and you will draw the exact conclusion I expect you will, and I'll probably get a chuckle out of it.

This is textbook snark at its best.

I'm surprised; you're usually better than you've been in this thread.

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
And I wish it weren't both appropriate and necessary to use it.

This is textbook snark at its best.

I'm surprised; you're usually better than you've been in this thread.

I'm a dickhead, what can I say?

Terrorism as a word is overused and abused. My other issue came when midlifebear basically advocated giving people Jewish patches who don't like gay marriage. Seems discrimination is an effective tool against discrimination.
While he may have been joking, it still was interesting to see.

Two wrongs don't make a right gents!

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sometimes you can be, yes. And sometimes you're just very 22. Now, stop it.

22 as in the age? Not quite!

Seems we're going back down the "attack the person" road again Sir Nick.

Example: "I don't/do like A"

Response: "You're an idiot for not liking/liking A"

Focus on A, not the person!

Well, if it isn't religious opposition, on what grounds to people oppose gay rights/marriage? The majority (59%) of Americans are religious, saying religion is "very important" in their lives, with even more professing some type of religious affiliation. (Source) I'd also imagine that those that call religion "very important" will also often let it have some say in their political beliefs, especially when it comes to things like gay marriage, abortion, and creationism/intelligent design being taught in classrooms.

Washington state is weird. It's viewed as a very liberal progressive state, but get outside of Puget sound or Vancouver, (WA,) and it's a very conservative state, though sparsely populated outside of Spokane. Ref 71 really only passed because of the high population density around Puget Sound.

This is a clever device that I think could well be used legally as a possible SCOTUS suit based upon the antiestablishment clause of the first amendment. Opponents consistently warn about the need to preserve, "the sanctity," of marriage. The "sanctity," of anything is not something the government can or should acknowledge. As far as any state or the federal government is concerned, marriage is a legal contract enacted between two willing parties. To defend marriage as exclusively sanctifiable by any single religion would be blatantly illegal. What we have, however, are numerous religions which would like to marry gay people but can't due to the pressure of religious groups of other faiths. What the government is doing, essentially, is favoring some religious groups over others and, thus, establishing a preference for one religious dogma over another by denying some religions a right that the others have. This is a real fly in the ointment for the anti-gay marriage religious groups and it should be exploited more than it is.

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well, if it isn't religious opposition, on what grounds to people oppose gay rights/marriage? The majority (59%) of Americans are religious, saying religion is "very important" in their lives, with even more professing some type of religious affiliation. (Source) I'd also imagine that those that call religion "very important" will also often let it have some say in their political beliefs, especially when it comes to things like gay marriage, abortion, and creationism/intelligent design being taught in classrooms.

Washington state is weird. It's viewed as a very liberal progressive state, but get outside of Puget sound or Vancouver, (WA,) and it's a very conservative state, though sparsely populated outside of Spokane. Ref 71 really only passed because of the high population density around Puget Sound.

Some people think it's immoral. Some people think it's gross. Some people don't like gays because they act overly gay. If it was called lesbian marriage we'd have much better results.

I know liberals who don't support gay marriage because they don't think it's the same thing as hetro marriage. I know conservatives who think gay marriage should be outside the state. The state has no business in marriage in the first place. The reasons are many, religion is only a small fraction.

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Some people think it's immoral. Some people think it's gross. Some people don't like gays because they act overly gay. If it was called lesbian marriage we'd have much better results.

I know liberals who don't support gay marriage because they don't think it's the same thing as hetro marriage. I know conservatives who think gay marriage should be outside the state. The state has no business in marriage in the first place. The reasons are many, religion is only a small fraction.

I'm sorry, but all those sound religiously-based to me, in one way or another. I've never heard a non-religious/ignorance-based argument against gay marriage. The one that is always used in ads against gay marriage (such as those against Question 1 and Prop 8) is that schools will have to teach children that homosexuality is a natural occurrence. Anyone who believes otherwise is likely deluded by religious doctrines or their own stupidity, solipsism, and sense of superiority. And I will refer you back to the 59% of America that feels religion is "very important" in their daily lives; I'd imagine that they let religion decide an awful lot when they vote.

Marriage, in and of itself, is religiously defined from a Christian standpoint in this nation. All attempts and arguments against gay marriage generally involve some permutation of the phrase "sanctity of marriage," and the state has no part in promoting the sanctity of anything.

dude252007

1st Like
Media
If gays have enough influence and affluence to threaten to close their wallets they would be the only group is history who have suffered so much unfair discrimination but had a large share of the resources.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight

Terrorism as a word is overused and abused. My other issue came when midlifebear basically advocated giving people Jewish patches who don't like gay marriage. Seems discrimination is an effective tool against discrimination.

Actually, I didn't advocate give people the Star of David who are against gay marriage. I'll go back and be more specific: drug them, and when they're conked out take a hot brand and burn an big capital M on their foreheads, al a Hester Pryne. If Mercy wishes to interpret that as copying how the Third Reich identified and sent unwanted members of their idealized society off to the Final Solution -- that's Mercy's problem. I think the Scarlet Letter (although the A was embroidered) predates the Third Reich by at least 100+ years. My point is that I'm tired of hearing people tell me they are for "allowing" gay marriage to be legal, then vote against it. Know who your enemies are.

The two wrongs don't make a right gambit is the typical non-thinker's way out of committing to anything and feeling superior at the same time. Pithy platitudes are just that: pithy platitudes. Empty, vacuous, and without meaningful value.

As for not wanting to commit one way or another (especially on a Big Pee Pee forum), then why even bother posting? Is someone holding a gun to Mercy's head making him "non" comment regarding same sex marriage?

Bbucko's been far too generous regarding Mercy's postings. I had Mercy identified as a dickhead after his first few posts. He's about as enlightened as lay Sunday School teacher, most of whom (in my opinion) can't help but be dick heads. Otherwise they'd be doing something more important and constructive with their time than wasting it by trying to keep little kids in line on Sunday mornings.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight

Actually, I didn't advocate giving people the Star of David who are against gay marriage. I'll go back and be more specific: drug them, and when they're conked out take a hot brand and burn an big capital M on their foreheads, al a Hester Prynne. If Mercy wishes to interpret that as copying how the Third Reich identified and sent unwanted members of their idealized society off to the Final Solution -- that's Mercy's problem. I think the Scarlet Letter (although the A was embroidered) predates the Third Reich by at least 1850. My point is that I'm tired of hearing people tell me they are for "allowing" gay marriage to be legal, then vote against it. Know who your enemies are.

The two wrongs don't make a right gambit is the typical non-thinker's way out of committing to anything and feeling superior at the same time. Pithy platitudes are just that: pithy platitudes. Empty, vacuous, and without meaningful value.

As for not wanting to commit one way or another (especially on a Big Pee Pee forum), then why even bother posting? Is someone holding a gun to Mercy's head making him "non" comment regarding same sex marriage?

Bbucko's been far too generous regarding Mercy's postings. I had Mercy identified as a dickhead after his first few posts. He's about as enlightened as lay Sunday School teacher, most of whom (in my opinion) can't help but be dickheads. Otherwise they'd be doing something more important and constructive with their time than wasting it by trying to keep little kids in line on Sunday mornings.

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
If gays have enough influence and affluence to threaten to close their wallets they would be the only group is history who have suffered so much unfair discrimination but had a large share of the resources.

You obviously have no knowledge of Judaism in the middle ages.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Actually, I didn't advocate giving people the Star of David who are against gay marriage. I'll go back and be more specific: drug them, and when they're conked out take a hot brand and burn an big capital M on their foreheads, al a Hester Prynne. If Mercy wishes to interpret that as copying how the Third Reich identified and sent unwanted members of their idealized society off to the Final Solution -- that's Mercy's problem. I think the Scarlet Letter (although the A was embroidered) predates the Third Reich by at least 1850. My point is that I'm tired of hearing people tell me they are for "allowing" gay marriage to be legal, then vote against it. Know who your enemies are.

Bbucko's been far too generous regarding Mercy's postings. I had Mercy identified as a dickhead after his first few posts. He's about as enlightened as lay Sunday School teacher, most of whom (in my opinion) can't help but be dickheads. Otherwise they'd be doing something more important and constructive with their time than wasting it by trying to keep little kids in line on Sunday mornings.

MF doesn't see the fight for marriage equality and an end to the ban on military service as the key civil rights issue of our generation, though how he does view it remains a mystery.

Like I said before: horse meet water.

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
MF doesn't see the fight for marriage equality and an end to the ban on military service as the key civil rights issue of our generation, though how he does view it remains a mystery.

Like I said before: horse meet water.

Where the heck did you get this from?

B_Enough_for_Me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm sorry, but all those sound religiously-based to me, in one way or another. I've never heard a non-religious/ignorance-based argument against gay marriage. The one that is always used in ads against gay marriage (such as those against Question 1 and Prop 8) is that schools will have to teach children that homosexuality is a natural occurrence. Anyone who believes otherwise is likely deluded by religious doctrines or their own stupidity, solipsism, and sense of superiority. And I will refer you back to the 59% of America that feels religion is "very important" in their daily lives; I'd imagine that they let religion decide an awful lot when they vote.

Marriage, in and of itself, is religiously defined from a Christian standpoint in this nation. All attempts and arguments against gay marriage generally involve some permutation of the phrase "sanctity of marriage," and the state has no part in promoting the sanctity of anything.
You know the Mormon Church just endorsed the non-discrimination policy against gays in SLC?

The argument that the state shouldn't get further into regulating marriage has nothing to do with ignorance or religion.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You know the Mormon Church just endorsed the non-discrimination policy against gays in SLC?

The argument that the state shouldn't get further into regulating marriage has nothing to do with ignorance or religion.
You know the Mormon Church poured millions of dollars to defeat same sex marriage in Maine and California?