More Nonsense about DADT

Discussion in 'Politics' started by houtx48, May 24, 2010.

1. houtx48

Gold Member

2. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm sick of waiting- sick of waiting for morsels of equality to drop from the table of government. I'd like to know who these "gay rights activists" were that met with the administration. I'd bet dollars to donuts that they were the wishy washy establishment HRC types- the ones more interested in galas than activism. The Democrats still have my votes in the midterms, but my wallet is closed until I see further action.

3. treetruck

treetruck New Member

Albums:
    I'm going to tell you who I am, you don't have to ask. Know one should hide from who they are! And no one should have to!!! how ever we can get it. even if comes in crumbs

4. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wrong. Equality- NOW

5. D_Rod Staffinbone

D_Rod Staffinbone Account Disabled

i've been posting about this off and on for over a year, the compromise isn't that great.
    there is nothing, so far, in the bill to stop the expulsion of openly out troops.
    public opinion is FOR repeal of DADT. in a volunteer army this is way overdue.
    gays, lesbians, bisexuals should have the right to be out and to serve.

if the draft starts up again i kindof feel sorry for the guys who don't want to fight, maybe they could still get out as COs for religious reasons. you might be surprised to know that during the vietnam war many guys said they were gay, even if they weren't, to avoid going into that war.

6. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Even the rules of DADT are not always being followed; apparently it depends on who the commanding officer is.

Sometimes there are witch hunts. If a soldier is suspected of being gay, others are thoroughly questioned. DADT was originally a compromise that was supposed to end witch hunts.

7. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^and its not as simple as Dont Ask Dont Tell. Even if it was, the burden of hiding ones sexuality shouldnt fall sqaurely on the shoulders of homosexuals.

8. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Actually, as you probably already know, it cannot be hidden without either being evasive or lying. And having one's acceptance depending on lying and deceiving is basically destructive.

I remember a coworker I had many years ago. I eventually spotted him as gay not based on how he acted or what he said, but based on what he never said. Non-gay men talk about wives and girl friends. Gay men avoid those subjects unless they are willing to invent stories. After while, it becomes obvious.

When I worked for a company in La Mesa, a suburb of San Diego, a coworker told me that I seemed like a very reasonable and level-headed person, so she didn't understand why I wasn't married. I told her that although most people were probably better off married, there were some of us for whom marriage would be a mistake and it was wise of us to accept that. Sometime later, on a Saturday when we were the only two working to update income tax software, she asked me again. I said something like this:

"Well, Matilda, most people are romantically attracted mainly to the opposite sex, but some of us are romantically attracted only to the same sex. Because my romantic interest is only in the same sex, marriage would be inappropriate." She seemed to take it OK and later, probably to let me know that it was OK, she invited me to have lunch with her.

Every place I ever worked after getting my degree, there were a few people who knew that I was gay. It wasn't because I made an issue of it, but rather, because it came up naturally in conversation. If we were all open, civil rights would be less of a problem because non-gays who know gay men and women are much more likely to support equal rights.

In the armed services, where people are in contact 24 / 7 with other armed service personnel, it would be doubly hard to hide the fact that one is gay. It would be necessary to have carefully crafted false answers for questions that others can answer honestly without a second thought. It would be an intolerable burden.

Draft saved Draft deleted