More PC Bullshit

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
A relative told me the other day that referring to someone as "Mexican" is now politically incorrect, even if that's the person's true place of origin. The correct term, according to her, is "Latino". Are you fucking kidding me?

She went on to say that because many stigmas are associated with the Mexican culture and hence the change. I don't get it. This is simply referring to someone, based on their country of origin and nothing else, like Cubans or Italians. WTF?

Another one here in LA is changing "South Central" to "South LA". There is no prejorative whatsoever here. It's simply an area defined by two geographic descriptions. It's not like it was called "Crackville" or "Murdertown". I will not conform to this PC crap without foundation!

Anyone with me here?

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
lol retarded. mexican is the politcally correct way to refer to someone from mexico. it's a nationality, are we not americans?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It just goes to show you, this extreme, ludicrous PC crap is almost always conjured up by someone who is not a member of the group described, but by someone who decides that it's their job to feel some vicarious indignation about some perceived slight.

I take it that the relative who told you this is NOT Mexican? I thought so.

Over the years, I have known a LOT of people in the target groups of the "PC-ification", and almost without fail, they HATED the PC terms used to describe them. Yes, Mexicans are considered "latino," but they are Mexican first and foremost, and proud of their heritage. There were eight Marines of Mexican descent in my platoon (4 from the San Antonio TX area, 3 from the Los Angeles area, and one from eastern Washington state) and all of them referred to themselves as "Mexican."

If you really want to piss off a deaf or hard-of-hearing person, call him "hearing impaired." Be prepared to lose some teeth.

B_Demention

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I read somewhere that wishing someone a white christmas is not okay anymore either. Apparently you have to refer to the snow directly instead of alluding to the color of it, which is understandable, since showing a bias towards anything pale (even something as innocuous as frozen precipitation) is the definitive indication that you're dealing with a white supremacist. :rolleyes:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I read somewhere that wishing someone a white christmas is not okay anymore either.
I'm familiar with the custom of wishing someone a "merry christmas," but not wishing them a "white christmas."

Perhaps the more PC version of the old Bing Crosby classic would be:

"I'm dreaming of a christmas-during-which-the-frozen-preciptiation-on-the-ground-reflects-light-of-all-wavelengths-in-the-visible-spectrum, Just like the ones I used to know..." :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, we should all be careful not to use the phrase "once in a blue moon," because that could be offensive to Smurfs.

WifeOfBath

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Something similar happened in psychiatry as well. It was decided that the term "manic-depressive illness" was too un-PC or stigmatized or whatever, and it was changed to "bipolar disorder." The thing is, the term bipolar is somewhat obscure while manic depressive is an excellent descriptor of the illness. You get manic. You get depressed. It's very clear.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I hat being called African-American. I'm not an African anything! I'm an American. My ethnicity is black. African-Americans are people who emigrate here from Africa. I didn't do that.

You are soooo African-American just for saying that. :smile: It is all right. Some of my best friends are African-Armenians. <==I know I futzed with that. I just wanted to see if you caught that.:rolleyes:)

jlr080281

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How silly :p

It's kind of like what happens where I work all the time. People are so afraid of saying 'black'.

We have temp. workers coming in all the time, so obviously we all don't know their names right off the bat. Anyway, let's say there's 4 new white guys and a black guy starting one day and they're all standing there in a group.

My team lead will say something like "Jon, take Mike and show him how to blah blah blah" Obviously I don't know who Mike is yet, so I'm like "Which one's Mike?"

"uh, the guy with the white shirt"
"they all have white shirts"
"ummm, the one with the black shoes"
"there's two of them with black shoes"
"the shorter one with the yellow laces"
"oh, the black guy? ok."
"well yeah. The black guy"

Just say "the black guy"! That doesn't make you racist, haha. I've lost count of how many times something exactly like that has happened.

spunkyboy2008

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
The trouble is that when PC introduces a euphemism in place of a term that has become pejorative, the PC euphemism rapidly becomes pejorative itself.

For example 'moron' was once a neutral medical term but once it became pejorative it was replaced with 'mentally retarded', 'retarded' became pejorative so 'special needs' was used. Now 'special' or 'special needs' is used as an insult.

Similarly, if South Central LA is regarded as crack city, you could rename it Sweet Valley but it won't make any difference to what people think of it.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Isn't there a genealogical point when one just becomes a black American?
Yeah. When you're born here. My family has been here for centuries. LOL They helped build this country. They founded schools, planted, raised, and sold the trees that became the railroad. On the other side my great-grandparents were Caribbean-Americans from Barbados. Their daughter is an American. She married an American whose family had been here since slavery like my father's family. We're obviously of African decent, but we can't trace our family back to Africa, and we do not identify with Africa. We work here, pay taxes here, and are continuing to build a legacy here. To me, tagging African onto my nationality dilutes my proud, American heritage, and is an outrageous insult. I gently correct the overly PC people who do that to me. I know they are just trying to be nice. But I don't like it.