More politics: Anniversary coming up (warning - boring history stuff)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_big dirigible, Feb 2, 2007.

1. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

The 70th anniversary of Roosevelt's scheme to pack the Supreme Court, perhaps the most blatant attempt at a US power grab since the Burr Conspiracy, is next week. It should be a "date which will live in infamy," but modern political paranoiacs don't seem to know about it. Roosevelt sent his court-reform bill to Congress on Feb. 5, 1937. It didn't take much examination to spot it for what it was. Fortunately in those days, not even R.'s fellow Democrats in the legislature would go along with the pernicious scheme, and after considerable excitement it finally died.

Particularly interesting is the cartoon at lower left here -
    Cartoons
    - which explicitly compares R. to someone who we now realize was intended to be Adolph H. But in 1937, most of Adolph's infamous crimes lay in the future. The cartoon doubtless alludes to A.H.'s announcement that he would merge the offices of chancellor (his own office, at the time) with that of the president (to replace Hindenberg, who died in 1934). Technically this was legal under the Weimar constitution if the president was incapacitated or dead, as he definitely was. The chancellor could only hold the office until the next election. But of course Adolph never got around to holding a next election. He did hold a national plebiscite, and the maneuver was upheld by some 90% of the German electorate (and although Adolph was far too shrewd to arrange for that to be 99%, any election with even a 90% result makes me suspect fraud).

As it turned out in later years, Roosevelt eventually appointed eight Supremes, thereby loading up the court with "his" justices. Some count that as "packing" although it took longer than the 1937 plan. However, if it was packing, it was entirely legal packing, which I suppose does make a difference.

2. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I am loving you more and more.

Thanks for this info, BD.

3. mindseye

Gold Member

After calling me a "Kos kiddie" last week, you're revealing what sort of kiddie you are. Singling out the cartoon comparing FDR to Hitler?

Yup, the Judiciary Reorganization Bill of 1937 wasn't his most brilliant political move. But lord, if you're having to reach back seventy years to find more Democrats to malign, we can't be doing that badly.

4. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

LOL no shit, huh mindseye? Of course, I was shredded on this board for comparing another politician to A. Hitler, a politician who unabashedly proclaims that the first 10 amendments to our constitution can be summarily suspended "in the name of national security," and holding "suspects" indefinitely without charges, convening secret courts, making secret convictions, and jailing the unnamed convict in undisclosed locations. Oh, wait, a Democrat would have done that, but not a Republican or Nazi, right? Silly you and silly me.

5. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

This qualifies as a bit of trolling, I think. But I give you credit for picking a smarter subject than the usual anti-circumcision rant or what "average" means.

There are a few reasons why the court-packing scheme is less-remembered today:

- It didn't go very far. Democrats had strong control of both houses and could have passed it if they went along with FDR's plan. Almost none of them liked the idea. It died like Dubya's Social Security proposal.

- It was easily FDR's biggest blunder, and since he's so well-regarded today, it's often not dwelled on. The Hitler comparison is not real surprising, considering how much he was loathed by business owners and what remained of the GOP at the time, although the comparison looks really laughable now.

- It was a desperate measure to try to stop "activist judges" who were thwarting the president's intents. Where have I heard that before?

- In the long run, it worked. Not really because FDR appointed many more justices anyway (all legitimately by the way, because of deaths and resignations of justices) but because it intimidated the court into being more lenient on the New Deal.

6. mindseye

Gold Member

I've shredded you for a lot of things, but never for that. In fact, I'm very worried that the comparison you suggest might be more apt years in the future when we discover all the Abu Ghraibs and Bagrams that they managed to keep secret.

7. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Holy conservative history diversion, Batman. Republican apologists must be very desperate to deflect attention from the failures of the feeb in the White House. They can think of nothing better than to reach as far back into history to attack not Clinton, not Carter, not Johnson, not Kennedy, not Truman but FDR. Give me a break! :rolleyes:

8. mindseye

Gold Member

Speaking of conspiracies, I noticed that Volokh's posted an article on this exact subject, linking to the same Hitler cartoon...

9. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Quite true, sorry if I made it sound like you had shredded me on this issue... there are about 3 LPSG members who attack and dispute me if I claim "Sunlight is produced by the Sun." They know who they are.

10. Principessa

Gold Member

Color me embarassed! :redface: I am so politically naive (okay maybe ignorant). When you mentioned A.H., without spelling it out I thought you meant Aldous Huxley! Couldn't imagine what he had to do with F.D.R.

Is the "Beyond the Alps Lies Italy" cartoon a Mussolini reference?

I apologize if I sound like an idiot. My dad was very politically active in our community; and like most offspring I made a point of going 180 degrees in the opposite direction.

njqt466

11. agnslz

Gold Member

Hey, I knew about this when I was like thirteen or fourteen years old - 'cause I watch the History Channel!:rolleyes::biggrin:

Draft saved Draft deleted