More suicides than casualties

Discussion in 'Politics' started by arkfarmbear, Oct 29, 2011.

1. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

I was watching Last Call With Carson Daly and he had Lisa Ling, the journalist, on his show. They were talking about the "war" and she said more soldiers have died from suicide than from battlefield wounds.

2. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Which war? Link?

3. Drifterwood

Gold Member

4. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Fuck!

5. Frnkd213

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    What a sad fact.
    My son just completed his job training and will be going to Korea.
    I heard that the Army or military hopefully is more sensitive to mental health issues that arise than ever because of this fact.
    Hopefully its true. Its okay to be scared and fearful. Hiding it only endangers the other soldiers.
    Many are coming back with PTSD and will see what affect this will have in their ability to succeed in the civilian world.

6. Meniscus

Gold Member

One morning, a couple of years ago, I was listening to the radio as I drove to work. This woman was talking about how her son came back from Iraq with PTSD, and how they couldn't get the help he needed from the VA. He self-medicated with alcohol, totaled the family car, and walked around the neighborhood dressed in camouflage, carrying a gun.

Then the young man's father took over the story...and as I listened, I burst into tears.

One night following his 23rd birthday, Jeffrey curled up in his father’s lap, distraught... “That night he asked if he could sit in my lap, and we rocked for about 45 minutes and then he went to his room."

"Here about 11:00 at night I have this 23-year-old marine asking me if he could curl up in my lap like he used to when he was a little boy. Thank God I did. Thank God I did."

''I really felt awkward, but he was hurting so much. I'm so glad I did, because the next time I held him I was getting the hose from around his neck."

Jeffrey hanged himself in the Luceys’ basement. On his bed were the dog tags taken from Iraqi soldiers whom he said he had killed.​

Sources:
    "Soldier Suicides and the Politics of Presidential Condolences." By Amy Goodman
    'Something happened to Jeff' - The Boston Globe
    Parents Mourn Son's Suicide After Returning From Iraq Duty: "He's a Casualty of War But He'll Never Be Known As That"
    GSFSO- Lcpl Jeffrey Lucey

7. B_nyvin

B_nyvin New Member

The military attracts disillusioned youth for the most part and then the military treats them like crap and berates them all for establishing respect for authority. They basically take troubled youths and then put them in a bizzare negative situation away from home and family.

Don't even get me started on the hazing problems in combat platoons.

My source? me. I'm a former Marine.

8. someperson

Gold Member

Albums:
    PTSD fucks up your mind badly.

9. B_chinagirl4u2

B_chinagirl4u2 New Member

very sad indeed

10. redz_rule

Gold Member

Heartbreaking. Just heartbreaking.

11. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Sad you went through that. Nobody should have to.

12. rawrg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    While it's very sad that people are choosing to end their own lives rather than face the prospect of living with whatever pain that have, the other way to look at this is that we aren't losing a lot of soldiers in combat. This article seems like it's pushing an agenda, which is fine, but it makes it difficult to take at face value.

I'm curious as to a couple of things:

Does this number include veterans that never saw combat or are no longer enlisted, ie people that served back in the 70's, 80's and 90's that are no longer at risk of being killed in combat? This would certainly skew the statistics and make the suicide rate seem more pertinent.

How does this suicide rate stack up vs the general population?

As far as I know, suicide is notoriously difficult to predict in individuals, and the warning signs are typically considered benign if you aren't looking for them. Is there any action that can be taken that will be reasonably effective?

Now if the article is simply pushing for keeping soldiers out of combat, then that's fine. Perhaps it's simply trying to build a stronger case against going to war in the future. I'm certainly not against that.

Draft saved Draft deleted