Morehouse Bans Saggy Pants, Cross-Dressing

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

ATLANTA -- Students at Atlanta's Morehouse College have new guidelines when it comes to what they wear. The school wants to put a stop to what it calls "inappropriate attire." The new policy outlaws saggy pants, mouth grills, do-rags, lewd T-shirts, and cross-dressing. School adminstrator Dr. William Bynum said, "We don't want that type of behavior to spread." School officials said most Morehouse students' dress isn't a problem but some have gotten out of control.

Student Terance Johnson said he traded his hip-hop look a few years ago for his now preppy blazer, tie and scarf. He said, "I've sagged before but it's really not a good look. I've learned to pull my pants up." Morehouse said it is preparing its young men for the real world and they'd better get used to it. Students violating the new policy face stiff penalties, including expulsion.

I am so glad that they took a stand on this. :yup: I realize some feel it infringes on their freedom of expression. However, IMO young black men have enough strikes against them, without adding fashion victim to the mix. :cool:

I wasn't aware cross dressing was an issue on any college campus. :confused: They may need to rethink that one, for the gay, intersexed, or basic cross dresser on campus.

Last edited:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't agree with the restrictions against cross-dressing, but the other restrictions are fine with me - especially mouth grills! EWWWWWW!!! :mad:

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
To me its the same arguments for school uniforms....if you take a minute to dress for success...your odds are better.

I also agree about cross dressing....does that sound a bit...odd? (I have a feeling there is 'more to the story' on that one...

now define "lewd shirt" here we go....

cdog204

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I personally believe that college students ought to be required to dress at least biz casual. My business puts me on college campuses throughout the country. I can't tell you how slovenly some of the students dress for class, meetings, etc. Sweatpants, sandals with socks, unkempt hair. Disgusting. I have always bought the uniforms argument that if you look serious, you'll be more serious in your studying.

You pay the college to serve you. Your job pays you to serve them. The college should shut the fuck up and pay attention to serving its students by not falling prey to the fallacy that what one wears indicates what is one's head: a heresy on a campus of higher education and even moreso in an institution founded to give those who look different from the majority a chance to pursue education.

Teach a course in business fashion but never presume to tell another adult who is paying you what to wear. It doesn't work that way in the real world so I see no reason for Morehouse to put on the high hat.

lakecreeker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Thank goodness. Businesses are not allowing that in thier establishment as employees or custumers/clients. Have signs posted at doors, right there with the no cell phones allowed and things like that. Community Colleges and high schools around in these parts send you home with no credits for the day.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You pay the college to serve you. Your job pays you to serve them. The college should shut the fuck up and pay attention to serving its students by not falling prey to the fallacy that what one wears indicates what is one's head: a heresy on a campus of higher education and even moreso in an institution founded to give those who look different from the majority a chance to pursue education.

Teach a course in business fashion but never presume to tell another adult who is paying you what to wear. It doesn't work that way in the real world so I see no reason for Morehouse to put on the high hat.

This is all part of the extended juvenilization of American young adults. It's demanded by those in authority and accepted by people who should be otherwise self-sufficient and self-sustaining.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

ATLANTA -- Students at Atlanta's Morehouse College have new guidelines when it comes to what they wear. The school wants to put a stop to what it calls "inappropriate attire." The new policy outlaws saggy pants, mouth grills, do-rags, lewd T-shirts, and cross-dressing. School adminstrator Dr. William Bynum said, "We don't want that type of behavior to spread." School officials said most Morehouse students' dress isn't a problem but some have gotten out of control.

Morehouse said it is preparing its young men for the real world and they'd better get used to it. Students violating the new policy face stiff penalties, including expulsion.
But doesn't the real world as they chose to title it, include cross-dressing (whatever definition they may have for that), mouth grills, saggy pants and the such?

njqt466 said:
I am so glad that they took a stand on this. :yup: I realize some feel it infringes on their freedom of expression. However, IMO young black men have enough strikes against them, without adding fashion victim to the mix. :cool:

I wasn't aware cross dressing was an issue on any college campus. :confused: They may need to rethink that one, for the gay, intersexed, or basic cross dresser on campus.

And what will cross dressing be? A man who happens to see a lovely blouse or sweater which happens to be in the women's garments section of the local Dillard's realizes it goes well with their pants and finds it fits so he will be expelled? A woman who has a body which doesn't fit into the svelte outfits and buys from the men's department? Or maybe she buys there because she likes the shirt patterns.

Is it cross dressing if the person is in the process of gender change? (Or will transgendered people also be denied education there, under the guise of 'preparing students for the real world'?) How about a guy who wears some jewelry (rings, necklace, chains, bracelets)? Or are they refering to the outfits Madonna used to wear with those big dangly crosses? Yeah, that must be what they meant.:smile:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm not in favor of restrictions of this nature. That being said I had to wear a uniform to school until I started college and hated it. However I learned the importance of dressing appropriately for any occasion. I assumed that people learn this with experience; sadly many do not. I think most of us live and work in a world where we are judged by how we dress you should learn it by experience and if it means loosing a job because you are considered inappropriate for that company than so be it.
Something that springs to mind is something a friend's mother said to me while I was at UCLA "You are the only person I have ever met that looks chic in a sweat suit and gym shorts." I think there is a way to wear almost anything and look good in it and by the same token many can wear almost anything and make it look bad.

darkbond007

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The cross-dressing ban is just as understandable as the others when you take into account it is an all boys college. At any other coed college that would be really hard to enforce but here its pretty understandable.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
But doesn't the real world as they chose to title it, include cross-dressing (whatever definition they may have for that), mouth grills, saggy pants and the such?
Yes, it does; but rarely are these people successful business professionals of the kind the school has produced in the past. Morehouse has a reputation for producing intelligent, powerful, and respected leaders. They are not in business to produce ebonics speaking, hip-hop/rap musicians, or Ru Pauls.

And what will cross dressing be? A man who happens to see a lovely blouse or sweater which happens to be in the women's garments section of the local Dillard's realizes it goes well with their pants and finds it fits so he will be expelled? A woman who has a body which doesn't fit into the svelte outfits and buys from the men's department? Or maybe she buys there because she likes the shirt patterns.
It's an all male school, always has been. The lesbian argument is irrelevant. :cool: Uh huh, and how many straight men actually shop for blouses because the shirts in the mens department are to plain or dull for them? :rolleyes::confused:

[/Quote] Is it cross dressing if the person is in the process of gender change? (Or will transgendered people also be denied education there, under the guise of 'preparing students for the real world'?) How about a guy who wears some jewelry (rings, necklace, chains, bracelets)? Or are they refering to the outfits Madonna used to wear with those big dangly crosses? Yeah, that must be what they meant. :smile: [/QUOTE] :rolleyes: I'm sure a modest amount of jewelry is allowed. They probably mean to avoid the 'bling' associated with the music industry that The Pope denounced a while back.

Perhaps it's a cultural thing; but I would think a black transgendered student wouldn't even apply to Morehouse. Seriously though, there are schools that are much more liberal to permissive and accepting in their social atmosphere. Morehouse College is not one of those places. It never has been.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think the whole thing stinks. Being told what you can and cannot wear by the self appointed fashion police is discriminatory.

"It's ok for you as you look conservatively dressed, but you on the other hand look like you got dressed during your r.e.m. phase and sleepwalked your way to school which upon waking up you realised you're wearing your briefs on your head"

Either the dress code should be excepting of individuality where anything goes or it should be a uniform which is either formal or informal i.e trousers, shoes and shirt or jeans, trainers and shirt.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the whole thing stinks. Being told what you can and cannot wear by the self appointed fashion police is discriminatory.

"It's ok for you as you look conservatively dressed, but you on the other hand look like you got dressed during your r.e.m. phase and sleepwalked your way to school which upon waking up you realised you're wearing your briefs on your head"

Either the dress code should be excepting of individuality where anything goes or it should be a uniform which is either formal or informal i.e trousers, shoes and shirt or jeans, trainers and shirt.

It's a private, black university they are within their rights.:cool:

Just like last fall when folks got bent out of shape about Boston College putting up crucifixes and pictures of Jesus in the classrooms. If you have a problem with it, LEAVE. Boston College has always been a Catholic University. Personally I find the fact they didn't have crucifixes up prior to this shocking.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's a private, black university they are within their rights.:cool:

Just like last fall when folks got bent out of shape about Boston College putting up crucifixes and pictures of Jesus in the classrooms. If you have a problem with it, LEAVE. Boston College has always been a Catholic University. Personally I find the fact they didn't have crucifixes up prior to this shocking.

If they want a uniform way of dressing then they should have a uniform otherwise they are discriminating against particular fashion.
Uniform is a good idea, nit-picking over people's fashion sense is derogatory, private or not.

As for the Catholic college, it is entitled to put up as many catholic symbols as it likes, the same is true of any religious school. Personally i believe all schools and colleges should be neutral so as not to influence its students.