Mormons Brainwashed my Friend! Help

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
The LDS are suppose to have erections only with their wives. ...if caught with an unbridled erection...from sexual thoughts. The Bishop is allowed to recommend electro convulsive shock treatments...
The authority for this treatment comes from an early disciple of Joseph Smith named Peyronie.

Oh dear!!:scared2:

Their brains are washed and fried!!:eek:

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Peyronie?! He's joking, of course. Peyronie's is a disease of the penis.

The Mormon underwear has something do with preventing erections. The LDS are suppose to have erections only with their wives. I believe they would have to perform some community service or something if caught with an unbridled erection. Occasional, I'm told, these garments are soiled inadvertently from sexual thoughts. The Bishop is allowed to recommend electro convulsive shock treatments if this becomes a chronic issue.
The authority for this treatment comes from an early disciple of Joseph Smith named Peyronie.

Rocky14441

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Meniscus, thanks for the rational overview; now for the irrational.
I fell in love with a Mormon guy. He was a hard guy not to love. He is struggling with "Same Sex Attraction", the phrase that gay revovery programs use for homosexuality. I tell you, it is a brutal ride for a gay man to grow up Mormon. Your pastor reccomends a gay recovery program, you go before a board to be reviewed, and if you don't "recover" you are cast out of the church.
This is a cult I'd like like to belong to if I wanted to raise kids in a cookie-cutter, Leave-It-To-Beaver world. Seriously, these folks make the Family Values coalitions look like NAMBLA. When you go on mission, three other guys watch you for two years to make sure you don't jerk off. Think about that. They expect you not to orgasm (except for wet dreams) until your wedding night.
Your friend has found a haven, one that has a lot of attractions, as well as a lot of pressures. Be a friend to him, support him in his journey the best that you can: learn about the LDS and be informed. Be prepared for him to set boundaries that you might consider unreasonable. This is a crazy world, and this chuch thrives on creating the illusion of a safe haven. For some of us, all we have is our illusions.

P.S. All you closeted Mormons on LPSG because you can't get over needing to look at cock, let's hear from you. I know you are out there.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Meniscus, thanks for the rational overview; now for the irrational. I fell in love with a Mormon guy...I tell you, it is a brutal ride for a gay man to grow up Mormon.

Oh, I don't doubt it. I don't think the OP's friend was gay, but the OP identifies himself as "unsure" so maybe that's why their friendship was strained. Although few religions truly embrace homosexuality (yet), for many of us our religions aren't a big part of our lives anyway, and we can give up our religion without giving up our families, and we may not even be that close to our families anyway. But for a gay Mormon, for whom both church and family are very important, being gay in some sense means losing both, and that's devastating.

This is a cult I'd like like to belong to if I wanted to raise kids in a cookie-cutter, Leave-It-To-Beaver world.

I think that's why some people do convert. I can see the appeal in the emphasis on family, faith, and community. If I were straight and could get past some of the more absurd tenets of the Mormon faith, I'd be tempted to join. As it is, I'm a lonely, single, gay atheist.

P.S. All you closeted Mormons on LPSG because you can't get over needing to look at cock, let's hear from you. I know you are out there.

I'm not going to "out" him, but I believe one of the mods is Mormon, or at least he was raised Mormon. I've leave it up to him whether or not he wants to speak up or not.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This thread was started over a year ago, and the OP hasn't posted anything in several months, so I think we can stop giving him advice. However, since this thread has been resurrected anyway, I figure we can broaden the discussion a bit to areas beyond the OP's concerns.

Here's a Web site offering support for gay and lesbian Mormons.
Affirmation: Gay & Lesbian Mormons

And here's the Web site of a gay Mormon actor who does a stage show about growing up gay and Mormon.
Official Web Site of Steven Fales | Gay Mormon Actor | Confessions of a Mormon Boy

Then there's the "Men on a Misson" calendar which features hunky, shirtless LDS men. In addition to raising money for charity, it's allegedly intended to create tolerance and spark dialogue about religious differences.
Mormons Exposed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HavwkKdWa-c
YouTube - 2009 Men on a Mission Calendar: More-men Exposed

Of course, the creater of the calendar was excommunicated, which I think rather confirms people's stereotypes about Mormons. Oh well, nice try.
Mormon 'Men On A Mission' Calendar Maker Excommunicated - Original Entertainment: The Post Chronicle
Controversy Over a Calendar of Mormon Men | Newsweek Religion | Newsweek.com

http://www.mormonboy.com/
Finally, I want to mention a case of a pair of gay Mormons who fell in love while they were on mission. After coming out, they posed for the attached photographs.

Attachments

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I fell in love with a Mormon guy. He was a hard guy not to love. He is struggling with "Same Sex Attraction", the phrase that gay revovery programs use for homosexuality. I tell you, it is a brutal ride for a gay man to grow up Mormon. Your pastor reccomends a gay recovery program, you go before a board to be reviewed, and if you don't "recover" you are cast out of the church.

Rocky, I know I already replied to your comments, but I wanted to say one more thing. You've probably already seen it, but in case you haven't, the movie Latter Days, which uncutoakland mentions above, covers a lot of this stuff. It's not a great film, but it you can overlook its flaws, it nevertheless has a lot to offer. The scene where Aaron tries to talk to his mother about it and she rejects him is absolutely heartbreaking. The scene begins at about 7:25 in the first clip below, then continues into the next clip.

YouTube - Latter Days - FULL MOVIE (Part 8)
YouTube - Latter Days - FULL MOVIE ( Part 9)

Here's the trailer and a song from the film:
YouTube - Latter Days trailer
YouTube - Latter Days (2003) - Tuesday, 3:00 am / Nita Whitaker

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
i once heard that they thought anything black was evil.

They used to be very racist. They may still be unofficially--I'm not sure. The excuse used was that black people are descended from Cain (their dark skin comes from the Mark of Cain), and therefore they can't be allowed into God's house.

However, now they send missionaries to Africa and the Caribbean and supposedly forbid racial intolerance.

Interestingly, there was a "revelation" in 1978, not particularly long after the civil rights movement in the US, that caused the church to reverse its racial restriction policy.

Hey, maybe they'll have a "revelation" thirty years after gays get equal rights that homosexuals are allowed in the chuch.

(Haha, I made a funny! :frown1:)

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight