Morning Wood and Aging

Finedessert: We all know that in our younger years it was common to wake up with a woody, this being caused by a full bladder, which is known as a piss hardon.

Now this question might be better answered by the older guys, but input from the younger guys is welcome, if any of you happen to be in the medical field.

As we grow older those morning woodies become fewer and fewer, the bladder is just as full as when we were younger but we don't have the woody.WHY?

Your input please

Grandpa

hungcuriousNC: You know, I'm 25, and I don't get a morning wood every morning either. I can piss for an hour in the morning and not wake up hard. But then again, I jack off everyday, and sometimes two to six times in one day. Could that affect this situation?

bigsoft: At 54, I have morning wood 5 or 6 times a week.

blak9: I'm 22 and most of the time I have morning wood (not everyday, but about five or six times a week). Sometimes I have get-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-to-piss wood. Occasionally, I have a raging rock hard boner before I go to sleep (this is when I have to sleep on my back.) I think I stopped having daily morning wood last year.
And to clear up a misconception, morning wood is not caused by full bladders (otherwise we would have rock hard erections during the best parts of movies or during long road trips.) Morning wood occurs the same as any other erection, by blood flowing through the penile chambers. While sleeping, blood circulates through the penis to help keep it healthy. Most times, we awaken while we still have erections. The bladder is full from not being emptied in eight hours (or however long you sleep.)
As you get older, blood does not flow as fluently as when you are younger (because of clots, hypertension, etc.) and this, as a result, may decrease the incidences of morning wood.

Finedessert: Well, It looks like I stand corrected Thanks Blak9 all these years I thought it was because of a full bladder. :-[

Now if everyone will please excuse me I'm going out and get a Blood Transfusion.

Grandpa

Mick: Hey dudes,
I think the reason we get mornin woodies is the fact that our testosterone level peaks/increases around 4-5 in the morning, thus causing erections. I could be wrong, but I think this has something to do with it. I'm 42 and still get am hardons, which I promptly take care of!
Later!
Mick

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Another thing, Finedessert: If you're on psychoactive drugs like Prozac, it can cause impotence.

Finedessert: JONB: My Dick is NOT as big as yours, so I don't need
Prozac.....LOL

Grandpa

bradleeM: One way to look at it is this, at your age, imagine how many erections you have had in your life. ;D
Maybe your johnson is a little tired of being ready every single day and nothing happening!!! :)

Seriously though from all that I have read science nor medicine has figured out what causes them. The one poster though in this series may be correct, it just may be that testesterone levels may be at their peak in the AM after the body has had a certain amount of rest.

kyle: I've read that the penis becomes erect several times throughout the night, whether or not it is in the morning when you wake. For me, it happens throughout the night and in the morning. I love spooning with a big hardon!

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes, it's normal to get hard several times per night. In fact, this is how doctors evaluate impotence. They use a paper band around your dick which tears, or sometimes more sophisticated instruments, called penile plethysmographs, to see if you get hard at night. If you do, then they know nothing physical is wrong, and investigate other causes.

I used to love to "spoon" with a big hardon, too, but apparently that was one of the things that drove my ex away. Some nights, if I poked too much, he would go sleep on the couch. On the other hand, the BF before that loved it. Sometimes, if it woke him up, he's just roll me over onto my back while I was still asleep, and mount it. What a way to wake up!

SagePenis: Yes, I have two to three erections each night, and awake 4 to 7 days a week with a hard- on :-*

I do notice that my wise old man does not rise immediately, at the sight of a beautiful (is there any other kind?) woamn anymore. Used to be, any sight of a woman made it instantly hard...That seems to have left in my mid forties, also.

I am 57 y.o. and noticed the instant erections ended in my mid-forties.
Libido same as always, and sex 4 or more times daily for at least twenty minutes (or, until she gets off a few times) is just the same as always...
But, I love pleasing women, in every way they want, so, that is the real secret of a happy love life with all my women.

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
'Looks like it's been quite awhile since anyone posted on this one. Maybe this info will cast some more light.

At age....(uhhh---mid to upper 40's), I have noticed some change in the frequency of morning erections. Several comments already posted seem to be true:
(1) Testosterone levels "peak" in the early morning hours and would certainly have the potential to impact erections.
(2) Frequency of using the penis (intercourse and self-pleasuring) could (and probably does) lessen the body's need for "morning wood".....more on that in a moment
(3) Morning erections tend to lessen as we get older.
(4) As with everything else with the male organ (i.e. size, shape, etc) the frequency of morning erections varies from man to man...
(5) The "medicine boys" do have ways of testing men for impotency by way of monitoring nighttime erections with paper strips and their fancy gadgets, etc....Many of these "patients" are pleasantly surprised, too, when they are told they DO still get hard when they thought they didn't....Isn't modern medicine wonderful?

"Morning Wood" --why does it occur? My reading (not a heavy researcher, mind you--but I have done considerable reading) indicates it is thought the penis requires "deep enriching amounts of blood periodically to stay in good form and remain able to function".
DA ! (yawn) ...nothing new!

Mysteriously, if the penis does not get this from use (via strong erections for considerable lengths of time), then the body is wise enough (somehow) to prompt or induce an erection(s) --often several during the night to "refresh" the blood supply in the penis. So, (apparently) it's really quite a natural response and is not necessarily related at all to mere sexual arousal (i.e. wet dreams or the like which we men experience earlier in life.) And, some will attest here in the forum that, even with regular sexual activity, morning erections still occur frequently. Why? --Perhaps higher amounts of testosterone in the system? --Could be. Who knows?

But, studies do show that as men age, testosterone amounts begin to diminish over time. Prostate health must be monitored. Erection strength and libido also can diminish gradually; ever so gradually, over time.
Many men find nutritional supplements added (responsibly) to their diets help sexual performance and overall sexual health. (I speak from experience, here and have noticed an increase in libido, erection improvement, more forceful ejaculation and improved semen quantity, and yes--more frequent morning erections. In addition to supps. I should also mention that I perform maintenance jelqing as well) --All of it has benefited me, I have no doubt, whatsoever.

It's worth considering help and solutions I think for any man who's noticing changes which begin to concern him, --no matter the age. Afterall, sex is an important part of our lives. Why NOT seek info on how to keep everything in "good working order"? ;)

dalton321: I'm a 35 yr old guy would wakes up with a woodie at least 5 times a week.... and I always take care of it right away....

;D

BIGBOYDAVE: Rarely wake up with wood in mornings
I think main reason is I j/o just befor going to bed.
It works like a sleeping pill. If I haven't joed before going to bed, which is rare I still get wood.
but I just have bad self control and have to have that Nightly J/O. I guess you can call it a nightcap. :D

Duzi: A man wakes up with his morning woodie depending on when he was dreaming last. All men with a healthy penis get erect during REM or dream sleep. Of course the firmness, duration, and length of the erection can vary according to age, drug use, and physical health.

belcurv: I was experiencing this decline but if you take 30 to 45 mg. of zinc, along with 1 mg. of copper and 50 mg. of manganese on an empty stomach with a big glass of water in the morning, and then later with a meal take a good calcium/magnesium tablet or tablets to get the daily RDA of those (1000 mg/500 mg I think), and take saw palmetto berry extract and vitamin E with a different meal, you may find as I did that you are getting a lot more morning (and other) wood again.

I say to take these as above because some interfere with absorption of others, e.g. manganese with magnesium, and calcium with E, etc. The above combos work for me.

All of these are safe natural supplements in moderate doses above. Saw palmetto can cause you to burp sometimes, but for me my body seemed to get used to it and now no problems. Saw palmetto curtails your body's transformation of good testosterone into dihydrotestosterone, which is the form that we get too much of as we get older. DHA contributes to prostate swelling and overgrowth, baldness, and other yuchhy symptoms of aging.

If you start taking it early like I did (late 20s) it can help you keep your boyish good looks even as you reach 40, if my results are typical. :D

Mr._dB

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm 47 now, and I don't ever recall a time when I didn't wake up with morning wood.

I'm on hormone replacement therapy now (125mg testosterone every five days) and the morning wood has become quite intense indeed. My bed sheet looks like a circus tent.

HungJordan: I always wake up with wood of varying intesity. I haven't noticed any dimishment as I get a little older but then again I am 25 and got a ways to go.