Moron Mayor Resigns after Sending Watermelon E-mail

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mayor who sent watermelon e-mail says he'll resign

Fri Feb 27, 8:12 am ET

LOS ALAMITOS, Calif. – The mayor of a small Southern California city says he will resign after being criticized for sharing an e-mail picture depicting the White House lawn planted with watermelons under the title "No Easter egg hunt this year."Los Alamitos Mayor Dean Grose issued a statement Thursday saying he is sorry and will step down as mayor at Monday's City Council meeting.

Grose came under fire for sending the picture to what he called "a small group of friends." One of the recipients, a local businesswoman and city volunteer, publicly scolded the mayor for his actions. Grose says he accepts that the e-mail was in poor taste and has affected his ability to lead the city. Grose said he didn't mean to offend anyone and claimed he was unaware of the racial stereotype linking black people with eating watermelons.
:bsflag: He was aware of the racial steretype that's why he sent it out! :mad: Had he been truly unaware he would have chosen a fruit that is more egg shaped such as the kiwi.

pym

Just Browsing
Media
It does'nt say what party he is affiliated with......But i'd bet TENNER on Republican.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh well, just another example of an individual that wasn't constantly on the vigil to maintain a message that is expected of all role models in our society. I've seen similar pictures (the ghetto white (purple) house(s) and similar versions) floating around work just the same, sent out by the very racial minorities that are offended by them. They thought it was a funny joke or perhaps used as a tool to catch people with their guards down and participate in perpetuating the mass emailings ? Funny, I remember the day when a few bragged that they had gotten "Don Imus" a couple/few years back.

This is one of the things that makes me ill about the human race, the hidden agenda's and the entrapments that we read about. It is probably wise to keep a record of such emails. Then you can demonstrates the electronic trail of who sent what first and does it give one a pass when the originating email was sent by an African American ? Probably better just to not participate, report it to the IT Department as unwanted spam and then have management & HR deal with the fallout ? But then again, there are repercussions in that too. Ignore and don't acknowledge receipt in casual discussions ?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Did this guy even THINK what would the implications would be if he sent this out via HIS e-mail? He deserves to get canned just for the sheer stupidity of it all.

And before the usual suspects come here and start talking about double standards or hypocrisy, consider this. If one of my friends sent this to me then I would have laughed. If certain comedians that were known to tell racist jokes posted this on their blogs then I would chuckle as well. That's because you know they would have meant that as a joke. But this is NOT the proper conduct of a politician, a person who is supposed to be taking into consideration the ideals, concerns and problems of every person they preside over regardless of their skin color. Why ANY person of political stature would send out messages like this, regardless of party affiliation, is beyond me.

Let's just hope for our sake that nobody from Obama's cabinet decides to send out a Kwanzaa card showing the Beverly Hillbillies or the Dukes Of Hazzard packing a suitcase full of moonshine for an upcoming vacation to Africa in response. :rolleyes:

pym

Just Browsing
Media
This may be embarrassing, but I wasn't aware that liking watermelon (or fried chicken) was a stereotype until I was in my early 20s. I'd just never heard of it.

C'mon Jason!
I'm a long Islander and grew up hearing all that shit and more.
With the italians it was MOOLIES/MOOLANAN{?}/Eggplants
We had afirework that flew into the air like a helicopter called the "N*gg*r Chaser" {never heard that?}Now called the African American chaser i suppose:frown1:
As a jewish kid i heard all the insults too.....kike,hebe, Jew-boy etc.
I count myself as very fortunate to have grown up with LIBERAL/DEMOCRAT parents who would NOT tolerate that shit.
But still it was swirling all around growing up in 60's and 70's N.Y.
To this day i have to ocasionally bite my tounge over comments i hear in casual conversation regarding JEWS in a usally jealous light.

C'mon Jason!
I'm a long Islander and grew up hearing all that shit and more.
With the italians it was MOOLIES/MOOLANAN{?}/Eggplants
We had afirework that flew into the air like a helicopter called the "N*gg*r Chaser" {never heard that?}Now called the African American chaser i suppose:frown1:
As a jewish kid i heard all the insults too.....kike,hebe, Jew-boy etc.
I count myself as very fortunate to have grown up with LIBERAL/DEMOCRAT parents who would NOT tolerate that shit.
But still it was swirling all around growing up in 60's and 70's N.Y.
To this day i have to ocasionally bite my tounge over comments i hear in casual conversation regarding JEWS in a usally jealous light.

I was raised in a small town (about 3,500 people at the time) upstate, where I live today, where race has never been a problem. We never had Jim Crow laws or anything like that because the area has been heavily immigrant and Dutch-influenced since the 1600s. Slavery was never an institution in this part of New York either as the largely poor families came from places like Poland, The Netherlands, England, and Germany. I attended a small parochial school that had maybe 3 black students in the entire school and I then went to boarding school where race wasn't an issue either. As a child I played with black kids and didn't think anything odd or unusual about it. I was raised to be pretty colorblind. For a long time I thought the word nigger was used to describe black gang members or criminals. It didn't occur to me that it could be used to described black people of all types. I was 17, when I said, nigger, in that context and everyone around me was sincerely shocked. I was quickly corrected and haven't used it since.

I've said it before but I have to emphasize that I was a very naive kid in many ways. My family isn't racist either and my grandparents had pictures in the living room of them meeting Jomo Kenyatta when they were sent as diplomatic emissaries to Kenya. I had been very sheltered from many things, including post-Civil War racism.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Maybe politicians should be careful of what they say ---

But, I think this ultra-politically correct stuff can go too far!

I happen to LIKE racial-stereotype jokes involving blacks, watermelon and fried chicken!

I LIKE when Chris Rock says "There is nothing a white man with a nickel hates more than a n*gger with a dime".

I LIKE offensive lesbians-on-motorcycle jokes - and "How many gay men does it take to screw in a lightbulb?" jokes - and tasteless polish and hispanic jokes!

Question: Why are there no Puerto Rican doctors?

Answer: Because you can't write presciptions with spray paint.

--------------------

Mother Superior: Sister Helen, why are you washing your hands in holy water?

Nun: Mother Superior, I have sinned! I touched a man's penis! Sister Maria said the proper contrition is to wash my hands with holy water!

(Mother Superior seems troubled. Thinks about this)

Mother Superior: Well, give me some of that when you're done. I think I have to gargle.

Let's lighten up a little people! Maybe a time is coming when we can joke around with each other without a subset of people getting immediately offended.

Last edited:

pym

Just Browsing
Media
Your a rare bird my friend. And it kind of goes to show how some things have to be taught. And how NOT everything is worth learning.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This may be embarrassing, but I wasn't aware that liking watermelon (or fried chicken) was a stereotype until I was in my early 20s. I'd just never heard of it.

If so, then I have a red face along with you.

I've been around the block a few times, but it doesn't really ring any bells with me either. Perhaps it's purely an American thing?

Your a rare bird my friend. And it kind of goes to show how some things have to be taught. And how NOT everything is worth learning.

Aye, but I'm rather happy about that. I'm sorry I wasn't aware of racism sooner. Part of me wishes I was, another part is glad I wasn't.

My town has largely been a farming community and that made it a bit like the wild west. You have to judge people by their actions and words rather than skin color. When you're surviving off the land, there isn't time to be racist. A good man or woman is valuable to the community no matter what color. The far side of my town is largely populated still by black dirt farms. These used to swamp lands and large lakes which drained by early settlers revealing super rich black dirt and there they grow all kinds of things. This town needs the immigrant population which comes through in the summer. Nearly all of them are now Hispanic, but they used to be black. Without them, whole livings and lives would be lost because everything grown has to harvested by hand. We have a very active community center for the migrant workers so that we continue to attract the best workers. They have decent dormitories too. We want to be friendly to them because we need them as much as they need us. Once a town gets a bad rep among the migrant workers, only the ones no one else will hire will be the ones who come here and we don't want that. Nearly all of these farms are owned by Polish immigrants themselves who arrived here in the late 1800s and early 1900s; people with no history of slavery or racism. What they do have a history of is hard work. They like hard work and work hard themselves and are proud of that.

I don't deny that the recent housing boom here has brought a lot of people up here from the city, some blatantly racist, nor do I imagine that everything was all honey and roses either. Warwick never had a large black population not because they weren't welcome, but because there was little incentive to move to this neck of the woods before the civil rights era. We didn't have large industry and the rich families hired local people. There was no unowned land and what wasn't in the village, was farmland held by the same families since before the Revolution. Warwick though, was off the beaten path for so long that when I was young, pretty much everybody who lived here had roots going back a very long time. Recently the historical society here raised $200,000 to have the African Methodist church building physically moved down the street to the grounds of the society to create an exhibit documenting the black history of the town. There is not one black person on the board of directors of the society yet it was a huge topic of discussion when it was discovered the church was going to be demolished to make way for a larger one because the entire community recognized the importance of the church in town history. This despite the fact the building is architecturally unremarkable. And that's largely because of the contributions those families, the people who went to that church, made to the community over the centuries.

pym

Just Browsing
Media
I used to spend some summers visiting relatives in E. Springfield NY as a kid.
It is a whole nuther world upstate.
That's nice to see your community holding on to things worth saving.:wink: