Most Catholic guys circumcised?

Uncutpete

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
That's why I am shocked by all of the responses about circumcision, and religion because I feel the same way.

Shocked you may be, but with the exception of our poor nation which keeps on circumcising as a common medical practice, the only countries where circumcision is now performed on the majority of boy children are those of the Muslim world and Israel -- for precisely religious reasons.

efrmtexas87

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Shocked you may be, but with the exception of our poor nation which keeps on circumcising as a common medical practice, the only countries where circumcision is now performed on the majority of boy children are those of the Muslim world and Israel -- for precisely religious reasons.
No way. Did you really research all of this? Because that's insane I had no idea. My horizons are now expanded.

Uncutpete

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm happy to expand your horizons. In the first two thirds of the 20th century, Australia and Canada joined the US as the only secular countries where infant circumcisions were routinely performed. Since then, both countries' medical systems have stopped the routine practice of cutting boys as not having a medical basis, so circumcision rates are continuing to drop in both nations. Virtually all the men on the continent of Europe except for Jews and Muslims, and in the non-Muslim parts of Asia and Africa, and virtually all of Latin America have their foreskins.
(I guess Texans are allowed to carry their guns but not their natural penises.)

Reactions: T-dot

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I have plenty of Catholic non Jewish friends who are cut, Catholic relatives who are cut (it could be because of the left over Jewish background in the family), and I know Catholic friends who had their sons cut, as well as Protestant friends who are cut and who had their sons cut. Not just here in the southern United States, but across the US. I think it has more to do with the father being cut than anything else. I went to a Catholic high school in California and every guy in my gym classes was cut. I never saw an uncut dick in person until I was an adult and was in the gym. I only know one friend who is uncut and his father was from Europe and wouldn't let his mother have him circumcised.

Uncutpete

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I would guess that for gentile US boys during most of the 20th Century, being circumcised had to do with a few important cultural conditions, having nothing to do with religion:

The medical culture of their area -- Doctors in most of the country, including overwhelmingly in the Midwest, California and the newer South and Southwest, just circumcised every boy (and charged for it). This was expanded by a post-WWII push to get everyone. Catholics and Protestant families who were missed in the first big medical push in the twenties got included then.

The state of the father -- Once a Catholic immigrant family, or a Protestant rural family had the boys circumcised by the local hospital, there was a tendency to inflict it on each generation so that, "the boy will look like his father."

The collusion of mothers and sisters -- Our American culture of cleaning obsession and germ phobia reached anti-body excesses in the middle century. The "eew" factor of the unfamiliar "must be dirty" body part seemed like a good way to make boys neater and cleaner.

On the other hand, there may have been certain indirect contributions of religion at the earlier stages of the introduction of routine circumcision to the US. The puritan strain of Protestantism had a lot to do with its original introduction in the 1880's -90's to reduce masturbation and "solitary vice." Also, some writers have asserted that, later on, Jewish doctors helped spread routine circumcision (in part and perhaps subconsciously) to make Jewish men less obvious, and thus less subject to pogroms and violent persecution the way they had been in Europe. It had been standard practice to check a man's cock when there was doubt, during the rounding up of Jews.

D

deleted1124838

Here is my 2 cents worth. While circumcision is clearly not part of the mandated deal for christian there can be a bit of clustering. I had a conversation with a mate about a conversation he had with his flat. He was the only one uncut and the difference was he was baptist but they were catholic. Probably just random luck but they had jumped to a conclusion. Second is that while my peer group was 50/50 cut/uncut all the boys I went to the baptist church with were cut. Reasons. Probably the Baptist parents compared notes and found a doctor who would give all the boys the trim....

flynn

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I would say that most American men were uncut if they were born before WWII. The men who fought and were uncut got a lot of infections because they had to fight for days without bathing. After the war doctors convinced parents that it was better to be cut to avoid infections. Most parents bought into it. I don't think it was a Catholic issue.

Reactions: curvo
D

deleted1027653

at one time is was a requirement and I am uncertain that it is anymore

T-dot

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I went to an all boys Catholic school in Australia and hardly saw a foreskin in the locker room..

Are most Catholic guys circumcised or is it just an Aussie thing?

I think it depends catholics don’t actually believe in circumcision. So it would be weird to see that. I went to a catholic school and everyone was uncut.
It’s even less common in Aussie now but that depends on your age. If your younger then 30 they mosy likely have foreskin.

US = ignorance. At this point there are people who believe it is religious but isn’t. It’s just another excuse to keep the practice going for no reason.

A couple more to add to the list.

A lot of people here think the rest of the world is also cut and people think it’s medically necessary to do despite the permission slips saying otherwise.