Most Catholic guys circumcised?

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The depiction of Adam being given life by God in the Sistine Chapel has a navel, too. Go figure.

Also, maybe foreskin on others was one of Michelangelo's sexual pleasures, as it seems to be for many like-inclined guys today.

Good Bible lesson men!
Then there is the statue of David in Florence,,,, a Jew,,, but the statue is not cut.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
I was born and raised Catholic and am cut. But then I was born in the USA. I grew up in a Catholic country where no one is cut. I didn't even see another circumcised guy until I was about 16 yet practically everybody I knew was Catholic.

art

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I was raised Episcopalian in the southern US, and am uncut. Most of my best friends in school were Catholic, and they were all uncut. Most guys I saw naked in the shower after PE or intermural sports were uncut. So I'm thinking it's location, socioeconomic, and heritage rather than religious practice for Catholics.

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I was born/raised Catholic....12 years of Catholic schools, the last 4 at an all male high school. Cut/uncut was all over the place...as far as I know, there is no Canon regarding circumcision. There is a Catechism that forbids self-mutilation, but circumcision does not apply. Like it has been stated above...its more of a regional thing than religious.

S

SirConcis

Some parents, when trying to justify to tgheir son why they were circumcised, come up with various reasons. One of this is "because we are catholic". Another "because you are irish catholic" etc etc. At the end of the day, parents just just say "because you are american, and it is the american thing to do" instead of trying to concuct other excuses.

travis1985

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
It has nothing to do with being Catholic. The Church neither encourages nor forbids circumcision (though uncircumcision seems more in line with the fact that Saint Paul said there is no longer any religious reason for it). Even if it did, most Catholics today are either blissfully unaware of Church teachings or find a way to justify their choice to deviate. I don't think much of anything goes on in this day and age with the ultimate reason being "because he's Catholic."

It does have everything to do with the local culture. Look at a men's Catholic college in the US, then look at one in Latin America. Everyone is cut at the former because that's what is done in that region, and no one is cut at the latter for the same reason. That the men are Catholic is a red herring.

enricocaruso

Just Browsing
Media
I live in Scotland and attended a catholic primary and secondary school. Going by locker-room glances, peeking in the bathroom and sleepovers and that sort of thing everyone was uncut as far as I can remember. I think uncut is by far the norm here allowing for a few cases where people are cut for medical reasons e.g. tight foreskin etc.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Good Bible lesson men!
Then there is the statue of David in Florence,,,, a Jew,,, but the statue is not cut.

I doubt Michelangelo would ever have seen a cut penis. There were very few Jews in Florence or anywhere in Italy in his day.

Uncutpete

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Sorry to have to point it out, but this guy is a never ending font of ignorance. The whole idea of Christianity is that it involves the NEW covenant. Christ affirms the important parts of the old law, "Love your God with your whole heart... and love your neighbor as yourself," and supersedes the old rigid Jewish law of over 600 individual duties. In the Old Testament, God tells the Jews to do all kinds of things: not eat shrimp, not plant two types of grain in the same row, have no contact with menstruating women, not eat a calf in its mother's milk (kosher), not cut the hair on the sides of your head, not be homosexual, AND circumcise your boy children. St. Paul is the interpreter of Jesus for the Christian Church. So his understanding of the lack of need for circumcision (be linked to God in your heart, forget about being tied to him with your penis) holds for Christians.

Now, I am Church of England (Episcopalian in the US). The only circumcision custom that I encountered among my Catholic or Episcopal friends was in the United States, and due to post-war US culture (discussed infinitely in other threads) and not religion. In England, virtually no one was cut, except Jews, Moslems, the occasional unfortunate with medical problems, and (it was rumored) the Royal Family for unknown reasons.

God told men to circumcise their sons.

Some guy called Paul who was presumably part of Jesus' Entourage contradicted God and said circumcision need not be done.

From a hiearchical perspective, Paul is not high enough in the organisational chart to overturn God's words. :) (God is at the very top, after all !)

So in the end, who do you listen to: The all mighty God who says to circumcise ? Or some dude called Paul who says it isn't necessary ?

Note that all christian religions, the old testament is still part of the religion (as well as the new one).

S

SirConcis

One wonders though why some american parents would think of "because you are catholic" as an answer when their son asks why he is circumcised. You'd think they would come out wit more obvious answers such as "because you are american".

Or are there some parents who really think that catholicism requires circumcisiuon ?

Are there cathlic hospitals in the USA ? Perhaps parents might equate circumcision with something done at catholic hospitals ? Consider a catholic father who grew up in catholic school and saw all his catholic friends were cut, then has son at catholic hospital which recommends circumcsion. Perhaps he might really think it is because he is catholic. (think about less educated folks)

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Both my boyfriend and I were Catholic (now Atheist) and both of use are circumcised.

I'm curious what this means. Are you sure you're atheist or just agnostic? Do you think there's "something out there" or nothing? Even many Czechs, a country that is are supposed to be THE most atheist country in the world, admit that there might be something out there that caused all this to come into being. Some white light that brings good energy to those things around us.

So when someone says atheist, I wonder. I wonder what they say out loud or under their breath as a loved one lay in a hospital bed. Even many non-believers say "God help us".

D_Miranda_Wrights

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm curious what this means. Are you sure you're atheist or just agnostic? Do you think there's "something out there" or nothing? Even many Czechs, a country that is are supposed to be THE most atheist country in the world, admit that there might be something out there that caused all this to come into being. Some white light that brings good energy to those things around us.

So when someone says atheist, I wonder. I wonder what they say out loud or under their breath as a loved one lay in a hospital bed. Even many non-believers say "God help us".

A little off-topic, but...

Agnosticism is a type of atheism. Atheism has the connotation of asserted disbelief in god, but it really means "without god." Most atheists (and most intellectually honest theists, honestly) are probably nominally agnostic. However, most people are probably nominally agnostic about the existence of invisible metaphysical dragons, and most atheists would assert that such a broad use of "agnostic" in cases like this renders the term useless. Basically, if you are without belief in invisible metaphysical dragons, you're an invisible metaphysical dragon atheist, even if you concede invisible, metaphysical entities' non-existence can't be proved.

Even in highly "atheistic" countries, polls show most people have a vague belief in some sort of "life force." I don't really know what they mean by this, but they could co-opt religious terms when appealing to sway the whims of this "life force." I don't know if this all can be trusted as a real litmus test of people's intellectual belief. In situations of grief or fear, the human impulse is to grasp any feeling of enfranchisement and control we can--real or imagined, believed or non-believed.

S

SirConcis

One must also consider that "atheist" is often used to denote that one doesn't believe in a religion, but may have some thoughts about the existence of the creator of the universe.

D_John Fitzwilly Kennedy

Account Disabled
Media
If they are from European,they are not circumcised.
Circumcision is something Jewish men had to do and the Roman Catholic Church didn't advocate circumcision because of that.
Not that it makes any difference according the Apostle Paul, but it does to some men.
I am uncircumcised and I can say that you have to stay on top of your cock under the foreskin. Cheese can build up in a day, if you think a lot about sex, your cock will precum enough to finally dry into cheese in no time at all.
But I would surmise a man that is circumcised will certainly have a cock head that is much more sensitive than a man who is circumcised and whose cock is constantly exposed to clothing and the air, et cetera.
I am glad I wasn't circumcised. I like the way my cock looks.
Some guys that are circumcised have ugly looking cockheads.