Most emotional movies you've ever seen

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Armageddon: when Bruce Willis stays on the comet and sends his future son-in-law back home (Ben Affleck)

But the only movie that ever really made me cry:
Cast Away: when Hanks lost his "friend" Wilson (it drifted away on a raft), I just cried like a little boy at that moment
I agree with you on Armageddon but Cast Away goes into the same category as Beloved for me. That's 3 hours of my life I will never get back. :12:

Boys Don't Cry: I cried off and on throughout the movie and it stayed with me for weeks afterward. Just recently I saw one of those re-enactment stories of a real crime and it was the story of Brandon Teena. I cried all through that as well.

Boys on the Side: The ending gets me everytime. It's just so poignant. This was the first time in recent memory where I heard an entire theater weep and sob openly.

Brian's Song: It's a tear jerker classic plus I am a sucker for a good sports biography.

Rudy: I related to this movie on so many levels. Like the main character I struggled academically all through school and noone knew why. We were both diagnosed with dyslexia when we got to college. All those years of suffering and taunting. :frown1: :12:

The Notebook: I just saw it on cable a few weeks ago. I watched it with my mom and we both dried and blubbered like babys at the end. To make matters worse for me she actually said, "that's how I want to go with your father at my side."

Mr. Holland's Opus: The ending of course gets me; but also the scene where he tells the red-haired girl to play the sunset. When his deaf son is blasting music and sitting on the speakers so he can hear the music. When a former student goes to 'Nam and comes back in a body bag. As the daughter of a teacher and a music lover, the entire movie is just an emotional roller coaster for me.

Shane: The ending gets me every time.

Titanic: Yeah, I know it's a cliche, just me and 80 million other 14 year old girls who love the idea of being in love. :redface:

I want to see your thoughts, or if it struck you the same way it did me. Also, when the characters are in trouble, like in the end of the movie when Tyrone is going through his withdrawal symptoms, he curls into the fetal position to help ease his mind, while Marion does the same thing after getting what she wanted at the ass-to-ass party. Harry doesn't do this seeing as how he knows that his girlfriend is gone (not dead but lost to drugs), and his mother is in a catatonic state with a 24/7 Thorazine drip. Harry finally realized that he fucked his life up beyond repair, and there's nothing he can do about it.

You've got me watching it.... again. This is all YOUR fault.

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just saw that "new" (as in most recent) Jamie Foxx movie , The Kingdom. It wan't so much emotional as it was deep. The las 40 minutes is like a perpatual shootout. I've never seen an action movie that was that good except Die Hard. I may have doubted him, but Jamie Foxx is a bad man.

I want to see your thoughts, or if it struck you the same way it did me. Also, when the characters are in trouble, like in the end of the movie when Tyrone is going through his withdrawal symptoms, he curls into the fetal position to help ease his mind, while Marion does the same thing after getting what she wanted at the ass-to-ass party. Harry doesn't do this seeing as how he knows that his girlfriend is gone (not dead but lost to drugs), and his mother is in a catatonic state with a 24/7 Thorazine drip. Harry finally realized that he fucked his life up beyond repair, and there's nothing he can do about it.

What struck me was not just Sara's dependence on Harry, but Harry's dependence on Sara. At the beginning of the pivotal scene, which Aronofsky describes as his favorite, Harry returns to Sara and they're both happy to see each other because everything is going so well for both of them. Compare this to the very first scene with the split screen showing them between Sara's front door. She won't open it for him. She knows he's come to steal her TV set.

When Harry arrives in the cab, however, Sara is thrilled, excited, prideful, and can't wait to roll out the red carpet. This time around, Harry brings her a TV. As she enabled his addiction by allowing him to pawn her TV, so Harry enables her addiction to the TV by giving her a bigger and more fabulous TV than before. They've setup each other for a downfall. She first, he later. The first part of their conversation is awkward but far more amicable than we've ever seen them, yet when Harry discovers his mother is on speed, the camera switches from the daylight-lit sides of their faces to the shadow-lit, signifying a pall which has once again fallen between them. It's from this point that they both begin their rapid descent downhill. As Harry depended upon his mother, so Sara depended on Harry. Harry becomes more withdrawn, begins to get high on his own supply, and convinces Marion to become a prostitute. Sara obviously withdraws from her friends, becomes more paranoid and prone to fantastic delusions. We get the impression that they both could hold it together so long as they had each other, but first Harry loses Sara, then Marion, then Tyrone and when he reconnects to each of them for a brief time, all meaning is lost as they are so caught-up in their addictions.

What struck me, is that all the events become almost tolerable due to the extremely subjective camerawork. We spend a great deal of time in the heads of the characters and while we understand on some level how awful things are, they only truly hit home twice in the entire film. Your heart just breaks when Sara visits the television studio, and then again at the end when Ada and Rae go to the hospital to visit Sara. These are the only two compassionate moments at any time in the film, making these ordinary decent people appear to have the quality of angels. A hug, a cup of coffee, a hand stretched out to touch Sara's arm, are all images so contrary to the brutality of the rest of the film that they illustrate just how wretched all of these characters have become.

Aronofsky says that if any of the characters make it out, he believes it would be Tyrone. The book itself ends with the second dream sequence where Harry falls into a dumpster in an ally and when Aronofsky asked the author if Harry lives, the author told him, "Of course." To Aronofsky, the fetal positions signified rebirth for each of the characters: Sara reborn by slipping into her world of delusion, Marion reborn as a prostitute, getting the heroin she wanted, Tyrone reborn by retreating into the memories of his mother, and Harry reborn by the loss of his arm (literally cutting off the source of his addiction). We're left with each of them maimed psychologically and physically by their experiences. While Aronofsky states that it appears the two females have the worst of it, he reminds us that each of the men are still prisoners possibly facing many years in prison.

For some reason, watching it the third time, with Aronofsky's director's commentary. I suspect that was because the commentary helped me see the movie from a more technical perspective.

It's still really tough to get through and I was more amazed by Burstyn's performance this time around, but I'm not sure I want to do it again for a long time.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
What struck me was not just Sara's dependence on Harry, but Harry's dependence on Sara. At the beginning of the pivotal scene, which Aronofsky describes as his favorite, Harry returns to Sara and they're both happy to see each other because everything is going so well for both of them. Compare this to the very first scene with the split screen showing them between Sara's front door. She won't open it for him. She knows he's come to steal her TV set.

When Harry arrives in the cab, however, Sara is thrilled, excited, prideful, and can't wait to roll out the red carpet. This time around, Harry brings her a TV. As she enabled his addiction by allowing him to pawn her TV, so Harry enables her addiction to the TV by giving her a bigger and more fabulous TV than before. They've setup each other for a downfall. She first, he later. The first part of their conversation is awkward but far more amicable than we've ever seen them, yet when Harry discovers his mother is on speed, the camera switches from the daylight-lit sides of their faces to the shadow-lit, signifying a pall which has once again fallen between them. It's from this point that they both begin their rapid descent downhill. As Harry depended upon his mother, so Sara depended on Harry. Harry becomes more withdrawn, begins to get high on his own supply, and convinces Marion to become a prostitute. Sara obviously withdraws from her friends, becomes more paranoid and prone to fantastic delusions. We get the impression that they both could hold it together so long as they had each other, but first Harry loses Sara, then Marion, then Tyrone and when he reconnects to each of them for a brief time, all meaning is lost as they are so caught-up in their addictions.

What struck me, is that all the events become almost tolerable due to the extremely subjective camerawork. We spend a great deal of time in the heads of the characters and while we understand on some level how awful things are, they only truly hit home twice in the entire film. Your heart just breaks when Sara visits the television studio, and then again at the end when Ada and Rae go to the hospital to visit Sara. These are the only two compassionate moments at any time in the film, making these ordinary decent people appear to have the quality of angels. A hug, a cup of coffee, a hand stretched out to touch Sara's arm, are all images so contrary to the brutality of the rest of the film that they illustrate just how wretched all of these characters have become.

Aronofsky says that if any of the characters make it out, he believes it would be Tyrone. The book itself ends with the second dream sequence where Harry falls into a dumpster in an ally and when Aronofsky asked the author if Harry lives, the author told him, "Of course." To Aronofsky, the fetal positions signified rebirth for each of the characters: Sara reborn by slipping into her world of delusion, Marion reborn as a prostitute, getting the heroin she wanted, Tyrone reborn by retreating into the memories of his mother, and Harry reborn by the loss of his arm (literally cutting off the source of his addiction). We're left with each of them maimed psychologically and physically by their experiences. While Aronofsky states that it appears the two females have the worst of it, he reminds us that each of the men are still prisoners possibly facing many years in prison.

For some reason, watching it the third time, with Aronofsky's director's commentary. I suspect that was because the commentary helped me see the movie from a more technical perspective.

It's still really tough to get through and I was more amazed by Burstyn's performance this time around, but I'm not sure I want to do it again for a long time.

Wow. Exactly. It seems to me that the only normal people in that movie are Mr. Rabinowitz, and Sara's friends. That was an amazing analysis BTW.

ballsaplenty2156

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
My list of films that most touched me emotionally would have to include;
Stand by Me
The Color Purple
Second-Hand Lions
Black Hawk Down
Hearts and Souls
Dances with Wolves
The Mudge Boy
Places in the Heart
Brokeback Mountain
Life as a House
The Pianist
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
The Notebook

I'm sure I'm forgetting 100 more, but those are the ones that jump out at me.

Wow. Exactly. It seems to me that the only normal people in that movie are Mr. Rabinowitz, and Sara's friends. That was an amazing analysis BTW.

Thanks! I agree. The interaction between Mr. Rabinowitz and Sara was short, but also an example of compassion. It seemed obvious to me that Harry had pawned the TV at least a few times before. There is one shot taken from the perspective of Mr. Rabinowitz that sticks in my head. It's a brief shot of the two of them talking and I noticed how normal Sara seems. I thought she could be anybody, anywhere; just another nice older lady. If I didn't know any better, you'd think she had a family, just lived an ordinary normal life. In that one shot, Sara just seems like anyone else you would casually interact with on a daily basis. Perhaps that's Aronofsky's point? That who we take for granted as being, "normal," may well not be. We don't know what goes on beyond the facades people present to us.

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Set It Off

1 When Stony ripped up the check that she fucked Nate to get after she found Stevie didn't get accepted to UCLA.

2 When she got to the scene of her brother's murder.

3 When Stony, Cleo, & Frankie were sitting in the car in the tunnel trying to figure a way out. They knew they were never going to see each again.

Finally at the end, when Stony was sitting there at a rank motel in Mexico with all that money and no more family and no friends.

Guaranteed tears from me....sigh....exhales

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is the last scene from A River Runs Through It.

One of the saddest, simplest and most beautiful films around...the last scene with the cinematography, and the Redford narration, as the voice of Norman McLean, is to me, utterly emotionally wrenching...always leaves me in tears, especially considering how alone he (Norman) is at the end, in the canyon, fishing...and the last lines are incredibly, beautifully sad...

Don't watch if you have not seen the film, as it will ruin it.

i would highly advise people who haven't viewed it, to rent it...it is such a simple and beautiful film, and to me, it is still probably Brad Pitt's best role, as he had not yet achieved mega-stardom, and fits perfectly into the character of PAul, the younger brother...the acting is excellent, the vistas are amazing and the story heartfelt, truthful, simple and sad...

YouTube - The River Runs Through It

koval

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I can't believe nobody mentioned the Joy Luck Club (based on the book by Amy Tan). This film had me blubbing in the cinema and the ending left you with mixed emotions (won't say more :wink:)

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Set It Off

1 When Stony ripped up the check that she fucked Nate to get after she found Stevie didn't get accepted to UCLA.

2 When she got to the scene of her brother's murder.

3 When Stony, Cleo, & Frankie were sitting in the car in the tunnel trying to figure a way out. They knew they were never going to see each again.

Finally at the end, when Stony was sitting there at a rank motel in Mexico with all that money and no more family and no friends.

Guaranteed tears from me....sigh....exhales

ooh, this didn't even cross my mind. that definately got to me. especially Stony all alone with the money. Money isn't worth losing all your loved ones. good message

when Cleo got shot...no wait, blasted, lol, i was so hurt!!!!

the worse is with Frankie though and Stony witnessing the while thing.

damn, i have to go and watch this now. thank God i have it on DVD. :)

Penis Aficionado

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Well, I think the first movie that made me cry, and still does whenever I see it again, is BLADE RUNNER, in particular the speech Rutger Hauer makes right before he dies on the rooftop. "All those moments will be lost now ... like tears, in the rain." In a few lines he pretty much sums up everything that's cool about life. And then makes you realize the enormity of losing it.

Last night I saw "What's Eating Gilbert Grape," which I'd somehow missed for all these years, and although it didn't make me cry, it really does capture the emotional turmoil of caring for an ill or disabled family member.

Penis Aficionado

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I agree with you on Armageddon but Cast Away goes into the same category as Beloved for me. That's 3 hours of my life I will never get back. :12:

Boys Don't Cry: I cried off and on throughout the movie and it stayed with me for weeks afterward. Just recently I saw one of those re-enactment stories of a real crime and it was the story of Brandon Teena. I cried all through that as well.

Boys on the Side: The ending gets me everytime. It's just so poignant. This was the first time in recent memory where I heard an entire theater weep and sob openly.

Brian's Song: It's a tear jerker classic plus I am a sucker for a good sports biography.

Rudy: I related to this movie on so many levels. Like the main character I struggled academically all through school and noone knew why. We were both diagnosed with dyslexia when we got to college. All those years of suffering and taunting. :frown1: :12:

The Notebook: I just saw it on cable a few weeks ago. I watched it with my mom and we both dried and blubbered like babys at the end. To make matters worse for me she actually said, "that's how I want to go with your father at my side."

Mr. Holland's Opus: The ending of course gets me; but also the scene where he tells the red-haired girl to play the sunset. When his deaf son is blasting music and sitting on the speakers so he can hear the music. When a former student goes to 'Nam and comes back in a body bag. As the daughter of a teacher and a music lover, the entire movie is just an emotional roller coaster for me.

Shane: The ending gets me every time.

Titanic: Yeah, I know it's a cliche, just me and 80 million other 14 year old girls who love the idea of being in love. :redface:

I'm with you on Mr. Holland's Opus. About Beloved, it was a pretty disappointing attempt to film one of the greatest novels ever written. BUT, the actress who played Beloved, the ghost child -- was it just me, or did she seem genuinely like something not from this world? I have never forgotten how much that performance disturbed and frightened me, so in that sense I guess it was one of the most emotional movies I've ever seen ...