Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Does anyone know what country/city has the most laid back attitude towards homosexuals/alternative sexuality's?:confused:
I lived in Boulder Colorado for a while, they seem to be very laid back and liberal, great city.

Jesses

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think The Netherlands, and especially Amsterdam are really gay-friendly, even too gay if you ask me sometimes. (I live here, so I may say it right?)

Australia and Sydney are also very laidback with the gay-community.
New-York, San-Fran, London, Berlin, Barcalona (a bit), Cape-Town are also good places to visit

Reactions: Jv0207

rubberwilli

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It all depends on how you seek to determine the most gay friendly locales.

Chicago is very gay friendly. We just hosted the Gay Games with no major incidents and the City used that experience as a lunching point for our 2016 Olympic Bid.

The North Halsted/Boystown/Lakeview gay area of Chicago has it's own rainbow themed street scaping paid for by the city of Chicago. The mayor was instrumental in securing $3M in city funding for our new GLBT cultural center and was also a key note speaker at the opening ceremonies of the 2006 Gay Games.

The Chicago Cubs annually host "OUT at the BallGame" and the Gay Men's Chorus sings the national anthem at the annual event.

We host International Mister Leather each year and the big hotel chains fight to host the event, while the major museums, cultural organizations and shopping destinations remind their volunteers and employees to "treat the men in leather just like you would any other patron." And over memorial day weekend you'll frequently find men in full leather walking up and down Michigan Avenue or strolling through the Art Institute of Chicago with no problems.

We have a Chicago Gay and Lesbian Hall of Fame that is now celebrating it's 16th year.

I love my city....!

highlander4life

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Amsterdam - Netherland, it's the most friendly city in the world, not just for gay, but other lifestyles too. The Scandinavian countries are also right up there with Netherland, i.e. Denmark one of the few countries apart from Netherland that allows same sex marriage. What I like about these countries, is that people live freely the life that they choose, don't try to show others what they are, that they are one or the other, they all live like equal, without bothering other people about their sexuality.

ledroit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Actually, I think almost any major european city beats every US city on this question. You just do not feel the power of a stupid puritanical right wing there iin the public sphere as much as you do in the US. Puritanical attacks on gays is still a religion in the US, and I never forget that even if when I am in some anomalous gay ghetto or "safe zone."

Maybe because the damage done by the systematic branding of "liberals" as degenerates in the US has been so effective that I never forget the places of freedom are wierd deviations from the norm, something like jew-friendly places must have been in the 1930s in Germany. (although of course the US prides itself on practicing a kinder, gentler form of enlightened fascism now.)

So I would not vote on any US cities on this question.

I vote for France, and actually almost anywhere in France. I have a very queeny friend who is a flamboyant ex stripper who lived there for a couple of years. I asked him whether people ever gave him shit for his mannerisms . "Never!" he said. "In France, everybody acts like I do!"

I don't think he meant everyone acted gay. I think he meant they acted like liberals, and were not hypocrites about it. Even ordinary french citizens are proud of the liberty that all its citizens enjoy. In the US, ordinary people stand up for a citizen's right to full liberty only if they are straight, white, republican church-goers. The rest don't deserve it.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
Actually, I think almost any major european city beats every US city on this question. You just do not feel the power of a stupid puritanical right wing there iin the public sphere as much as you do in the US. Puritanical attacks on gays is still a religion in the US, and I never forget that even if when I am in some anomalous gay ghetto or "safe zone."

Maybe because the damage done by the systematic branding of "liberals" as degenerates in the US has been so effective that I never forget the places of freedom are wierd deviations from the norm, something like jew-friendly places must have been in the 1930s in Germany. (although of course the US prides itself on practicing a kinder, gentler form of enlightened fascism now.)

So I would not vote on any US cities on this question.

I vote for France, and actually almost anywhere in France. I have a very queeny friend who is a flamboyant ex stripper who lived there for a couple of years. I asked him whether people ever gave him shit for his mannerisms . "Never!" he said. "In France, everybody acts like I do!"

I don't think he meant everyone acted gay. I think he meant they acted like liberals, and were not hypocrites about it. Even ordinary french citizens are proud of the liberty that all its citizens enjoy. In the US, ordinary people stand up for a citizen's right to full liberty only if they are straight, white, republican church-goers. The rest don't deserve it.

I agree fully with what you said.

I think the most most gay friendly city in North America is Montréal. I find that Montréal's gay culture is more harmonious with the city's mainstream culture. That said, Western Europe (particularly Northern Europe) and Australia are still more gay friendly than even Montréal.

In spite of the many vibrant gay communities/ghettos on the continent, there is still a strong anti-gay movement in mainstream North America which greatly undermines the gay community. This opposing movement is not completely fueled by religion.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Cities I can think of include San Francisco, CA, specifically the Castro District. Washington, DC, specifically DuPont Circle. New York, NY, specifically Greenwich Village. Provincetown, MA, or anywhere in MA really. Key West, Florida. Certain parts of Rome, Italy. The Netherlands, but specifically Amsterdam. Certain parts of Greece. Certain parts of Sweden.

I haven't been here long enough to have a good sense of what it's really like, but there have been some prominent news stories in the local media lately about gay rights issues in Seoul and progressive legislative changes that have been made, specifically in regards to transvestites and transsexuals.