Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I am starting the process to emigrating to Canada and have to settle on a Province. One of the main reasons for leaving my country is homophobia, so I was wondering if anyone from Canada or living in Canada right now could give me their opinion on what's the most gay friendly city/area.
Because of my age and other immigration requirements, my main options are Alberta, the Atlantic Provinces or Quebec (in that order). Any tips or input is highly appreciated!

matthewdonald

Loved Member
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i am Canadian , born and live here, best country in the world, as for best place,depends on what you want.I more cosmopolitain ,stick to a city,like Vancouver ,Montreal, or Toronto.More of a country boy?stick to rural,St Catherines, Geulph, Halifax, all citys are gay positive

Civillaw

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I agree. I have done work all across Canada and depending on what you want , matthew is right.

Although if you are thinking about Alberta, better to stick to the two largest cities.

I have lived in big cities and small towns and have found homophobia to be less in small towns here in nova Scotia. Hamilton was a friendly city, as was Toronto if you stuck to the main city.

Reactions: WetCat and Dadbod

Dadbod

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i am Canadian , born and live here, best country in the world, as for best place,depends on what you want.I more cosmopolitain ,stick to a city,like Vancouver ,Montreal, or Toronto.More of a country boy?stick to rural,St Catherines, Geulph, Halifax, all citys are gay positive
Thanks Matthew! I've lived in cities and towns all my life, but I'm woulnd't say no to a rural area if the people are going to be friendly. Is there public transport in the rural areas?

Dadbod

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I agree. I have done work all across Canada and depending on what you want , matthew is right.

Although if you are thinking about Alberta, better to stick to the two largest cities.

I have lived in big cities and small towns and have found homophobia to be less in small towns here in nova Scotia. Hamilton was a friendly city, as was Toronto if you stuck to the main city.
Cheers, Civillaw! Any suggestion on places to definitely avoid?

matthewdonald

Loved Member
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks Matthew! I've lived in cities and towns all my life, but I'm woulnd't say no to a rural area if the people are going to be friendly. Is there public transport in the rural areas?
yes! bus systems, Montreal and Toronto have subways, Vancouver has a great train and bus system, if you can stand all the rain they get

Reactions: Dadbod

Anton565

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was wondering as well. I'd go in under shortage area program. I'm pretty sure Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver won't be options. Maritimes are a go as are most of rest of country. How is St. Johns, NB? Am thinking Halifax, but am open to other cities. Thanks.

Reactions: matthewdonald
D

deleted18388141

Ottawa Toronto Montreal Vancouver
big cities generally are pretty fine.. I also came here
but don't expect gayland either.. it s just normal in big cities... when you go to rural areas you are still going to get those weird looks, but just the looks...

Squirrel1

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
... Is there public transport in the rural areas?
I’m not sure what your public transit is like in Paraguay but you will find public transit to be lacking in almost all rural areas. Canada is not like Europe, where you can hop on a train and most towns have a station. Even busses are limited. Larger cities will all have public transit.

chrisrobin

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am starting the process to emigrating to Canada and have to settle on a Province. One of the main reasons for leaving my country is homophobia, so I was wondering if anyone from Canada or living in Canada right now could give me their opinion on what's the most gay friendly city/area.
Because of my age and other immigration requirements, my main options are Alberta, the Atlantic Provinces or Quebec (in that order). Any tips or input is highly appreciated!
Quebec is ok if you act straight and speak French

D

deleted18388141

Quebec is ok if you act straight and speak French
If to be safe you need to act straight , that isnt gay friendly...
Acting straight means pretending to be straight or that you fall in the appearance or actions of one.. but it also means hiding emotions and realtionships too.
being gay friendly is mostly an annotation for places where you would be safe, i even think it would be better named gay safe because of all the horrors we hear about these days.
then it depends where in the province and where in the city, i just visited several times so i can't judge really, maybe your insight would give more details and advices

D

deleted18388141

I’m not sure what your public transit is like in Paraguay but you will find public transit to be lacking in almost all rural areas. Canada is not like Europe, where you can hop on a train and most towns have a station. Even busses are limited. Larger cities will all have public transit.
I would add an information ; public transportation in Canada is Horrible, if you are in a big city then you have subways tramways and buses ( with a lot of delays and switches) keep in minde the cities are big and so will be the transportations time taht are not as comfy as one would think if it s a long commute.
for rural areas, yes there are trains, and some buses but they get quickly pricy pricy...
people count more on cars in canada generally
if you go to toronto, if you rent a place make sure it s near TTC same for montreal be close to a subway
for Ottawa, there is a quick train but serving few areas, the buses are just SLOW because they cover long distances with tons of stops.

Squirrel1

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I would add an information ; public transportation in Canada is Horrible, if you are in a big city then you have subways tramways and buses ( with a lot of delays and switches) keep in minde the cities are big and so will be the transportations time taht are not as comfy as one would think if it s a long commute.
for rural areas, yes there are trains, and some buses but they get quickly pricy pricy...
people count more on cars in canada generally
if you go to toronto, if you rent a place make sure it s near TTC same for montreal be close to a subway
for Ottawa, there is a quick train but serving few areas, the buses are just SLOW because they cover long distances with tons of stops.
Agreed. Even Toronto, which thinks of itself as a world-class city, has very poor public transit.