Most heartbreaking film you have ever seen

NEWREBA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
i got totally queer for brokeback mountain. when those boys kissed i just loved every sec of it & cried my eyes out at the end.

Kevbo

Sexy Member
Media
The original "Manchurian Candidate" has some scenes that made me shout "No!". Not too many films get me that involved.

More recently, "Big Fish" wraps up rather amazingly, though maybe not heartbreakingly.

Much more recently, "Atonement".

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'll third Sophie's Choice. Totally destroyed me.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Aside from being utterly brilliant, it was a film that managed to break my heart deeply without ever being depressing.

The only time I've ever openly sobbed in a movie theater was during the last act of Dead Man Walking. The whole sequence in which Susan Sarandon accompanies Sean Penn to his execution wrecked me. No matter how much I wanted to get it together I couldn't.

Juicee Jubes

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Something that was powerful for me was ;-

Dangerous Liaisons last scene when Glenn Close was taking off her makeup exposing bare skin. I liked the message was not heartwrenching sad but very dark moment. Also the scene when she learns of John Malkovich's death..

My ALL time favourite movie.
YouTube - dangerous liaisons - love me in black

Another movie thats comedy but one moment in it i found very moving was Shallow Hal, scene when Gwyneth Paltrow says something like "I appreciate everything anyways..." re: Jack Black going to call her back on a date or not after thier initial chance meeting/date at the milkbar..

And also Brokeback mountain when the boys finally meet after long absence did make me teary. Heath Ledger & Jake Gylenhaal - I heart you both. Im a softie i know.
YouTube - "Kissing you" - Brokeback Mountain

Cuddles

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Schindler's List ... watched this in Religion class... holy cripe it was sad.
Brokeback mountain.... When he dies... my gay friend and I bawled in the theater.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, which I've talked about in depth here before.

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930). The machine gun tracking shot nearly makes me vomit. This is a masterpiece of a movie.

The Bicycle Thief. What it is to lose the respect of your child to survive.

Cast Away. Lot of old movies show unrequited love as heroic and noble but this one describes it best in modern terms, complete with all the regrets of life. "You're the love of my life." To have to move on without that not because of death but because of obligation just kills me. I relate to it a great deal.

Peggy Sue Got Married. A great film in many ways, the best moment is when Peggy Sue answers the phone and drops it in shock realizing that her grandparents are still alive. The scenes with her grandparents, and the score with it, are the best in the film. One of the few back-in-time films to demonstrate the sincere shock of realizing we can tell our departed loved ones just how much they mean to us. It's simply beautiful.

The Seven Samurai. Perhaps the best film to demonstrate the nobility of faith in a lost cause. It's beautiful.

Bambi. I will never let my kids see this. It scars them for life.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Deep Impact.

That will bring on buckets of unexpected tears because there are so many heartbreaking moments. You wouldn't think so concerning the look of a disaster movie, but it'll really get to you.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
To Kill A Mockingbird - The end with Boo Radley and Scout gets me every single time.

The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man in the Moon Marigolds.

Cyrano De Bergerac with Depardieu

The Professional

Planet of the Apes - Quotes like "We did it to ourselves!" are only surpassed by " Get your hands off of me, you damn dirty ape!!!"

Frances with Jessica Lange

Paris, Texas

Homo Faber

and so many more.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
Sophie's Choice was very sad. Her inability to love anyone for fear of hurting them because of her traumatic past was tragic. When They toast Stingo's first publication on the Brooklyn bridge.. the love and friendship made me tear up. The scene where Stingo finds Sophie and Nathan dead in bed. Of course, the scene where Sophie had to choose which child would die when she got caught stealing the ham.

Armageddon - Seems like a silly choice, but that scene near the end when Ben Afflec says to Bruce Willis that he was like a father to him... damn.

Saving Private Ryan - Mostly the scene in the abandoned church where the young medic tells the story about how he pretended to be asleep when his mother got home from work. As a result he hardly saw his mother. Later on, while he was dying on the battlefield, he was calling to his mother. Oh man.

Brokeback Mountain - I also cried like a baby, for Jack, for Ennis, for the pain that their characters caused their families. Getting a post card returned with "DECEASED" marked on it is so harsh.

Elephant Man - Damn the ending was very sad when he decided to sleep normally, knowing that it would kill him. He wanted to be normal and didn't want to continue being a burdon to his keepers.

Cinema Paradiso - The ending when Toto finds Alfredo's stash. This movie had many powerful scenes, but that topped them all.

Ordinary People - The end when the father realizes that his wife lost all emotion after her firstborn, and favorite, son died. Despite the pretense, she could no longer love anyone in the family. I was sad for the son, the wife, the father.

84 Charring Crossroads - They didn't even meet!

To Kill a Mockingbird - The scene where Atticus had to visit Tom Robinson's family to tell them that Tom had been killed.

House of Flying Daggers - The decision she made at the end of the movie... much more climactic than the ending of Crouching Tiger.

Elizabeth - The Virgin Queen - When Robert Dudley dies she seemed truly heartbroken. The tears poured out of her. The pain seemed so real.

Somewhere in Time - The end when Richard meets Elise after they are both dead. (the movie involves time travel.) Knowing that Elise must have pined for Richard for decades when she visited him as an old woman to give him that watch made it much more sad.

Sam's Son - A made-for-tv movie starring Michael Landon. I saw it as a kid. I can barely remember what it was about, but I remember crying alot.

Romeo and Juliette (Roman Polanski's version) Thus with a kiss, I die. He made the tragedy seem modern and real... maybe too real.

The Passion of the Christ - I am not religious, but I believe that Jesus existed and that he was punished in the Roman military tradition of torture then crucifiction. I admire any man that is willing to suffer brutal torture and death for a cause. Seeing it was almost torture in itself.

Sling Blade - It didn't make me cry, but the whole damned movie was sad as hell.

The Champ - One of the first movies I saw in the theatre. My whole family cried.

I also found Million Dollar Baby, Mask, The Outsiders and The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Charles Laughten's), The Lion King to be very sad.

D

deleted213967

Nobody thought Kramer vs. Kramer was heartbreaking?

That scene is the park when the kid torn between the parents he both loves breaks into tears when he realizes his world is coming to an end.

Sophie's Choice (both the novel and the film) was even more tragic.