Most heartbreaking film you have ever seen

Gonzo3

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Here are my choices

Virgin

A young girl who grows up in a strict religious community is raped while unconscious and becomes pregnant and then is ostracized by her comminity when she proclaims it to be an immaculate conception.

Bastard out of Carolina

A young girl grows up in a violent and dysfunctional family and takes the brunt of a stepfather's malice in order to hold the family together.

Old Maid

This one is a tear jerker from the 30's based on an Edith Wharton Story. A young woman has a child out of wedlock during the civil war by her cousin's jilted lover. In retaliation her cousin stops her wedding and slowly over the course of her life takes her retaliation by taking everything from her including her child.

THe Heiress

Based on Henry James's story, Washington Square. A young woman growing up wealthy and unloved finds fleeting happiness with a fortune hunter who abandons her when he thinks her father is going to disinherit her.

Like Water for Chocolate

A young woman has her life put on hold by a mother who has decided that she will never marry because she is the youngest. Adding to the heartbreak is hte fact that her mother marries her suitor off to her older sister and she must watch in frustration throughout the years and can only express herself through her cooking.

House of the Spirits

This is the film of a Chilean family's rise to power. The most heartbreaking part of it is the Protagonist's older sister who is unjustly accused by him and sent out into the night. She returns to the house after her death to say good bye to the only two people who ever loved her her sister in law and her niece.

THe Magdalene Sisters

A group of young women who are sent to a Catholic home for wayward women in Dublin and are subjected to almost life long slavery. This is a true story unfortunately. THe last of these homes/ laundries closed in 1995 . In the story one girl was raped, one was retarded, one was an orphan and one had a child out of wedlock but they were all sent to this home.

Secrets and Lies

A young black woman in England goes looking for her birth mother and finds much much more than she ever bargained for...

The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearn

A middle aged woman in Dublin seeks to find a purpose for her life after spending her youth caring for an aged aunt.

Dancing at Lughnasa

A family in Donegal struggles to make ends meet at the beginning of WWII and watch their lives unravel as they try desperately to push forward.

MAd Love

Queen Juana of Spain and Castille heir to Queen Isabella and Archduke Ferdinand finds herself locked in a castle for 50 years of her life for the crime of loving her husband too much.

Farewell my Concubine

Two young boys are raised to play the roles of their lives. The most pathetic scene is where one boy is beaten until he says he is a girl when they want to train him to pay female roles.

Malena

A woman who is destroyed and hated by women and lusted after men in her small WWII town in Sicily because of her beauty.

Nights of Cabiria

The story of a good hearted prostitute in post WWII Rome who searches for love in all the wrong places.

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

A young woman's fall from grace for no other reason than the fact that her beauty attracts evil to her life.

House of Mirth

A young woman who loses everything in the midst of the treachery of High society during the Gilded age.
:rolleyes: BAMBI

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
101 Dalmatians, all she wanted was a fur coat and she didn't get it :(

Frankenstein.

lmao....exactly! no one ever sees these things from the villains point of view.

and with Frankenstein, the book is way more sorrowful. geez, every character suffers misery!

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
I've always like THE KID with Charlie Chaplin and Jackie Coogan.

MAN WHO LAUGHS with Conrad Veidt.

FRANKENSTEIN--I suspect the Karloff version of it, where he assumed the role of a man who is very needy...

MOULIN ROGUE--there was a 1956 (or thereabouts) film about a painter --Tolouse LaTrec (sp?) and his relationships with women. The "Song of Moulin Rouge" sold millions of coipies, and was moody and heartbreaking. The film studio head had a set of lyrics removed because it was already a downer.

Alex Chambers

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I saw The House of Sand and Fog a few years ago and I still reflect upon it from time to time. I think of the film as being the death of hope. You all should check it out--it has Ben Kingsley in it. You know you love Ben Kingsley.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's often overlooked in films/books/stories that the villain often has a just cause to be pissed off, if someone dropped a house on your sister would you be happy, if someone had eaten all your porridge and messed up all your beds would you like it, if your stinking little stepdaughter suddenly became prettier than you wouldn't you feel justified in having the huntsman take her into the forest and hack her to death :)

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Something that was powerful for me was ;-

And also Brokeback mountain when the boys finally meet after long absence did make me teary. Heath Ledger & Jake Gylenhaal - I heart you both. Im a softie i know.
YouTube - "Kissing you" - Brokeback Mountain

Cuddles

Oh JEEZ!!! That's why I love Youtube. I wasn't the biggest fan of Brokeback Mountain, but it did get me in the corazon at the right parts.

BUT

As soon as I saw this post combining the most heartbreaking song in the world "Kissing You" by Des'ire and these clips...I immediately started tearing up before I even saw it.

Anyway. Some movies that really hit me are:

-The Outsiders

-Romeo and Juliet (1995 version)

-the Five Heartbeats

-Chuck and Buck

-Gerry

-Beauty and the Beast (Disney)

-L.I.E.

-Bully

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
There are many others, but I think that Mr. Holland's Opus deserves mention in this thread. His one desire was to be a professional composer, and music is his life. He takes what he thinks will be a temporary job (teaching, which slowly becomes the most important thing in his life,) has a (deaf) son whom he doesn't figure out how to relate to, or even communicate with, until his life is almost over. One of the almost unbearably crushing scenes is where he is arguing with his wife over what school to send their son to; she wants a signing school (considerably more expensive) or an oral school that their doctor recommended. She breaks down, crying, on the kitchen floor, and tells him something along the lines of "you get to go to school every day and spend time with your kids, and I can't even tell my own son I love him!"
I seen this one! it was touching.

Simon Birch was another sad one.
I am Sam

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'd have to say (not necessarily in order):

Bambi
A Dog Of Flounders
Imitation Of Life (the remake with Lana Turner and Sandra Dee)
Rudy

Probably more but I don't feel like shedding tears remembering. :wink:

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Streetcar Named Desire - I think Vivien Leigh played Blanche brilliantly, she perfectly captured her brittle instability.

Edward Scissorhands - he ended up all alone in that big house.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I love that it has an anti hero, someone we really shouldn't like but can't help liking, seeing him end up lobotomised is heartbreaking.

The Green Mile - I don't like Shawshank but the Green Mile is so sad, he didn't deserve to die.

The Plague Dogs - I much prefer this to Watership Down, the poor dogs escape their life of torture in the lab only to find there's no happiness for them anywhere and end up swimming off into the distance to drown.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Did someone already mention 'Beaches'? How about 'Central Station'?

Movies where a kid looses their mom or dad really leave me in a wreck.