Most heartbreaking film you have ever seen

Tickled Pink

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
lmao....exactly! no one ever sees these things from the villains point of view.

and with Frankenstein, the book is way more sorrowful. geez, every character suffers misery!

I totally agree, the book is much better than any film interms of emotional impact.

And "Come what may" from Moulin Rouge always always makes me cry; the lyrics, the music and the most fantastic voice (and body and looks) of Ewan MacGreagor - who would have thought he had such an amazing voice - he can seranade me anytime!!!!

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
It was written and set just before Victorian times will, there was nothing they liked more than a good dose of misery :)

yeah, i know. i have no idea why the Victorian era was so stuffy and miserable. i read the book with my Advanced Literature class, and i read the part of Victor Frankenstein. even though he was a huge drama queen, i was too hurt when Elizabeth was killed by the monster, and Victor rode past the lake where he and Elizabeth were sailing on just a few hours before, and the tears started to flow from his face.....now THAT was heartbreaking.

everyone else in the class hated Victor, but acting him out (yes, i had to even put on an accent) i totally felt sympathetic towards him.

I totally agree, the book is much better than any film interms of emotional impact.

And "Come what may" from Moulin Rouge always always makes me cry; the lyrics, the music and the most fantastic voice (and body and looks) of Ewan MacGreagor - who would have thought he had such an amazing voice - he can seranade me anytime!!!!

Ewan really hit it out of the park in Moulin Rouge. He was eveything Christian was supposed to be. full of love, honest, and pure, which was also exactly how he sang. I can't imagine any other actors who could've been better than Ewan and Nicole.

and speaking of musicals,

2004's The Phantom of the Opera really was heartbreaking too. In the end, the Phantom has lost everything he held dear for the woman he loved, but never could have. bloody depressing! also, the orchestration of "Learn to Be Lonely" (a really sad song written just for the movie.) playing in the background really adds to it.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Heaven Can Wait (the remake)- the scene where Warren Beaty is standing at the wishing well with Betty Logan (julie christy) and sees Mr Jordan over her shoulder, the look on his face chokes me up (and the wistful music is perfect)

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Some pre-Victorian, Victorian and in particular gothic novels were dire, they seemed to decide their plot would involve a lot of maudlin wallowing in abject misery - maybe it helped them escape the harshnesses of their lives to think that there were people somewhere who were living the lives they read about.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dancer in the Dark with Bjork - I love this film but fuck, I couldn't speak for hours afterwards, I found it so distressing.

God, I'm such a poof!:eek:

I love that movie. I got that movie. I was about to say that movie but you are such a poofie you beat me to it. Pshaw!

A fellow poofie, too.
Invisi

Love Story and Brian's Song. I haven't seen them but from what I understand they fit this category.

See them and then make your decision. They are wonderful but they are definitely movies of their time.

Agreed. I think they're both maudlin. Love Story is formulaic and I don't find Ali MacGraw's character terribly believable. I found my self thinking, 'Die already!!'

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Agreed. I think they're both maudlin. Love Story is formulaic and I don't find Ali MacGraw's character terribly believable. I found my self thinking, 'Die already!!'

Bwahahahahahah.

When I first saw that film I couldn't understand what he ever saw in her too. She was such a pill.

AI was pretty heartbreaking for me. I made the mistake of watching it shortly after my mother died. Bad choice.

I found AI ridiculously manipulative and was actually angry when I finished watching it. All the tricks in a director's bag were pulled out to make you feel something for roboboy and that pissed me off no end. A character needs to stand alone to really make you feel something for him or her or it. Let the words and the acting bring you to the character, not plot tricks. The end made no sense at all and was beyond improbable. It was so outlandish, so contrived, so obviously bent on getting a tear out of the audience that the premise of the story, which could have been truly intriguing, was lost.

manhattaner

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I may not have read the entire thread carefully enough, but I'm surprised a few great heartbreakers didn't come up....

Polanski's 'Bitter Moon'
It's a heartbreaking story on its own merit, but doubly so because she got a chance to get even, and you never get that in real life.

and

von Trier's 'Breaking the Waves'
because it shows you that it's not always better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...It was so outlandish, so contrived, so obviously bent on getting a tear out of the audience that the premise of the story, which could have been truly intriguing, was lost.

Well, being directed by SS, what did you expect? Remember the syrupy ending to Minority Report...? Literally "they all lived happily ever after". :cool:

von Trier's 'Breaking the Waves'
because it shows you that it's not always better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all.

I find this film tragic more than necessarily sad. I came away with more pity and anger (for her church) than anything else. Poor Emily... such a sweet girl.

TitanicJake

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Field of Dreams gets me every time.

Beaches was sad but not heartbreaking but that song Wind Beneath My Wings is heartbreaking to me especially if you look at Bette Midler sing it in NYC right after 9/11 on Youtube Prayer for America. Interesting to see Midler sing with Hillary & Rudy (future candidates) right behind her.

The Color Purple was heartbreaking for me.
American History X as well.

As a kid I must say that Roots. The whole country watched that miniseries every night. Each day in 5th grade our teacher would discuss it with us.

Jake

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No shit. What was the casting director thinking for either MacGraw in Love Story or that hussy Olivia Hussy as Juliet Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet... horrible actresses in roles that should have required great sensitivity. Well, I mean, Love Story was a bad story to begin with, but MacGraw was awful. I laughed and rolled my poor tired eyes through the whole film.

Tickled Pink

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Field of Dreams gets me every time.

Beaches was sad but not heartbreaking but that song Wind Beneath My Wings is heartbreaking to me especially if you look at Bette Midler sing it in NYC right after 9/11 on Youtube Prayer for America. Interesting to see Midler sing with Hillary & Rudy (future candidates) right behind her.

The Color Purple was heartbreaking for me.
American History X as well.

As a kid I must say that Roots. The whole country watched that miniseries every night. Each day in 5th grade our teacher would discuss it with us.

Jake

Both bloody excellent!