Most homophobes not Christian

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
OK, HickBoy. I'll pick up the gauntlet. Let me yank your chain a bit; please don't take it personally.

I want to start by saying, as a gay man, how much I value the good moral sense of moderate Christians such as you. (I assume you're what one would call a moderate Christian, are you not? If not, I apologise for jumping to conclusions.)

You're right, most Christians aren't homophobes.

Neither are they crusaders against infidels, burners of witches, stoners of prostitutes, nor slayers of sons.

However profoundly you may believe in the divinity of Christ and the word of His Father, it is with some relief that I note you don't follow His word--er, Their words--literally. I'd be dead if you all did.

It is impossible to follow the word of God strictly, and live what most of us would consider a reasonable, moral life. In order to stay functional and fulfilled, most Christians practice some highly selective listening when it comes to the word of God and the teachings of their respective churches. And when they do listen to His word, their interpretation of it demands some highly athletic intellectual gymnastics.

I thank God that you don't take Him at face value, and instead listen to your own common sense and humanity.

That said, there are quite enough Christians out there who listen selectively in a different way from you. They ignore Jesus' encouragement to love the sinner, and build a view of homosexuality based on His Dad's jaunty pasages from Leviticus.

Why is their Jesus wrong and your Jesus right? It seems kinda dangerous to have all these rogue Jesuses wandering around; erratic, reckless, confusing.

Better to lock these Jesuses up where They belong, in churches on Sundays, making Christians feel better. Rather than let Them wander about, telling impressionable minds to beat people up, invade sovereign nations, ignore their own bodies and hearts, and disown their children. For every harmless Jesus flipping burgers at Wendy's, there are several lethal Jesuses on the street, all of them packing a gun.

Christianity is a bit like sex. It's either safe, or it's unsafe. Practiced safely, it's a joy. But unsafe Christianity can kill you. I preach abstinence.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Jesus just said "Love God" and "Love your neighbor as yourself."

I get lost on where most people get that it says "Hate homosexuals."

True Christians don't hate people. They love people. And treat all people the love and respect they deserve.

I can not prefer oranges. Or think oranges are nasty. But if you like oranges, that's fine with me. We can still be cool. :biggrin1:

That's my stand on it. *shrugs*