Most Important Discovery/Invention Ever

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Let's not make this thread a 'which country is the best at inventions' thread. It's just a thread to say which invention/discovery, inventions/discoveries you think were most important. Give reasons or not it's your choice.

I'm going for writing, without writing science, philosophy, medicine, no field of learning would have progressed, no other inventions would have been possible with no method of tracking research.

lorne

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Soap, hands down and under the sink wins. With the discovery of proper sanitation we extended our lives and medical abilities allowing longer lives. With longer healthier lives researchers can study longer and unaffected by contamination to invent and develop new and live changing things, without longer safer lives arts of all kind would be restricted and sometimes not have developed at all. Sciences have been able to move beyond basic mechanical reasoning and into electronic and develop the thought of biological. Without soap we would all stink and probably be in some form of dark ages.

thoreau

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm going to say the printing press. This invention allowed for the wide disemination of books and literature and therefore ideas. Without the necessity for monks or clergy men to painstakingly transcripe various text to make copies of any particular volumes the printing press increased literacy rates and gradually expanded the knowledge base of civilization.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Penicillin and other antibiotics. Millions of lives have been saved and quality of life improved because of a bit of bread mold. Truly amazing in it's original simplicity given it's numerous end uses.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
The wheel and the internal combustion engine.

Sorry to be such a fucking traditionalist - I just happen to think it is true.

Edit - that's inventions - I have to agree with Fire and Penicillan for 'discoveries' - that and my own g-spot :rolleyes::biggrin:

PussyWellington

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm going to say the printing press. This invention allowed for the wide disemination of books and literature and therefore ideas. Without the necessity for monks or clergy men to painstakingly transcripe various text to make copies of any particular volumes the printing press increased literacy rates and gradually expanded the knowledge base of civilization.

I agree. I also think the measurement of time (the clock) had a huge impact on peoples lives. The day was now able to be divided into work,rest and play.

Hmmm.....

Symbology.

Without symbolism, we would not understand characters used in writing stand for abstract concepts which, in turn, stand for concrete concepts.

Take the following:

Mary rides a bicycle.

To comprehend this sentence we have to know that each letter is a symbol for performing a certain sound of speech. Yet we also, in turn, have to know what thought that speech conveys. Simply knowing how to pronounce a word does not convey the meaning of the word. So we must also understand that the speech is also a symbol for a specific thought.

We can understand speech without understanding writing and we can understand writing without understanding speech yet, as writing derives from speech, we cannot create writing without understanding the concept behind the letters, words, and their sequencing. There has to be a key to meaning or else there's just gibberish. That key is symbology.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I recall in the last thread about this very thing I cited the scientific method because almost every invention stems from using it.

In close second place is trifle.