Mother Teresa's diary reveals her crisis of faith

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by findfirefox, Aug 24, 2007.

1. findfirefox

Gold Member

Mother Teresa's diary reveals her crisis of faith - Telegraph

So shes just like most people, nifty. :smile:

2. conchis

Gold Member

Albums:
    In a world where billions believe their deity conceived a mortal child with a virgin human, it's stunning how little imagination most people display

3. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

It still doesn't change what I think of her. How many catholics doubt God at some point in their lives? Jesus himself probably doubted God at some part in his life.

4. JustAsking

Gold Member

Mother Theresa was no less constant in her faith than any of the people surrounding Jesus. Jesus anticipated human frailty when it comes to faith when he pointed to the betrayer Peter, and declares that on such as Peter he will build his church.

St Paul implies that we are not responsible for our faith when he says, "Even our faith is a gift from God."

5. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    I can't see what difference this made to anyone but her. If you aren't allowed room to doubt your beliefs, how will your faith strengthen? I can't imagine God being as petty as we are about such things.

6. lvsxy808

Gold Member

Albums:
    I know nothing of Christianity, Mother Teresa or the process of beatification. However, I will say this.

The ones who doubt, who question their beliefs, who accept that they don't know or understand everything, who have their faith challenged and come out the other side with it stronger than ever, are the ones I trust.

The ones who never doubt, who believe they have all the answers already and don't need to ask any questions, are the ones who are dangerous.

7. Osiris

Gold Member

Wow! I'm kind of awed at all the responses here. I am Catholic and yes, we all question our faith. Mother Teresa was given probably one of the most noble callings and she answered. Looking at what she lived with and saw day to day in those squalid streets in Calcutta would be anough to make anyone question faith or the existence of God. As lvsxy808 said, it's these people we trust the most. I have always loved and admired Blessed Teresa for her devotion to humanity. You might say for her it was humanity first, God second.

A quote attributed to her is:

"God doesn't give me more than I can handle, I just wish he didn't trust me so much."

8. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not to capitalize on Mother Theresa's angst, but, in a way, I'm encouraged when I find that my own shaky and frail faith is shared by others more dedicated and worthy than myself. I feel less alone that way.

9. gjorg

Gold Member

What it shows to me is that she was a real person.A thinker not a follower. Her work should qualify her for Sainthood.
    Wait a min. I am a non believer!

10. Osiris

Gold Member

And exactly the reason she will get sainthood.:biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted