Mothers: Sons vs Daughters

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Wish-4-8, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

I was overhearing a conversation some women/ mothers were having. They were saying how boys will always love you. Even when they get older/ teenagers, they always treat you with affection. Its the daughters that roll their eyes, dont want to hug or give a kiss goodbye.

Is this generally true?

BTW, I love my mother.

2. double_digit

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I am closer to my mother than my father on all accounts. Figured I toss a bit of data out there and see where the scales tip...

Yes, I admit it, I'm a momma's boy. :p

3. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    IDK about everyone but, my Mom and I do not get along, we rarely talk. I am 100% Daddy's girl. I always have a kiss and a hug for him :)

#3 HiddenLacey, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2010
  4. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    Momma's boy here too.

5. accemb

Gold Member

Albums:
    Here, too..... although it can be tiresome

6. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    LOL, true and it can be challenging.

7. catman

Gold Member

3 Sons here.....they are challenging but can't IMAGINE daughters....

just them dating is enough to make my hair fall out..... (i.e. you are NOT good enough to look at my daughter....lol...and I *know* what my sons think about....)

8. MagicJohnsonFan

MagicJohnsonFan New Member

Albums:
    I hear a lot of people (usually woman) complaining about how difficult daughters are, but I never had a problem with mine in spite of being a single mom. She's and adult now and we talk (well, sometimes it's just text, but still...) pretty much every day and get along really well. We always hug & kiss hello and goodbye. Maybe I'm the exception, but aside from some normal smart-mouthing in her teens there's never been an issue.

9. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

WTF? I have 4 older brothers, none of which treated my mother well at all.

When you have a son, if he gets married, his inlaws gain a son in law and you lose a son.

Your daughter you can be close to forever without stepping on her marital toes, you can't do that to your boy without him losing respect from the women he dates/marries.

I have a daughter and so far there is nothing about her being a female that has been difficult to raise. I love the thought of getting to plan a prom, a wedding and enjoy her children with her. I couldn't even fathom enjoying those experiences in the same way with a son.

10. Ben_c

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think as a general rule its usually Momma's boys and daddys girls. However, there is always going to be exceptions in different family situations. Personally speaking I had a good realtionship with my dad but I was closer to my mother. So strictly speaking I'm also a momma's boy.

11. tamuning

Gold Member

Albums:
    Growing up I observed that dads almost always were harder on their sons, and likewise mothers seemed to be rougher on their daughters. Absolutely that was the case in my family, and my mom was much tougher on my sisters than my dad was on me (except for when he tanned my ass with willow switches ... damn!) I think that behavior could account for what develops into dad/daughter and mom/son "favoritism". I don't think my sisters will ever get over it.

I think if parents treated children of both genders with more respect and support life for everyone would improve.

As for sons always loving their mothers ... no one should bet the farm on that ... mothers can torpedo a good relationship with sonny in no time -- especially when it comes to criticizing your mate!

12. alwaysguessing

alwaysguessing New Member

I have always rolled my eyes at my mom a lot and I've never been very affectionate. To be fair, she is ridiculous. She broke her toe on Sunday, requiring emergency surgery that very night, and was out getting her hair done the next day. She could barely walk and should have been in bed resting.

I also harbor some resentment for her smoking during pregnancy. And also some resentment for getting herself pregnant in the first place, by outright deception of my father.

I still love her and appreciate her efforts in raising me, but I still wonder what the hell she is/was thinking sometimes.

13. Fanuc

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    A son is a son till he takes a wife … A daughter is a daughter for the rest of her life

14. alwaysguessing

alwaysguessing New Member

Is this relating to the competition between a man's wife and his mother? I've noticed this. My girlfriend often got jealous when I went over to my parent's house to visit! What a twit.

I've also noticed competition between me and her father, initiated by him. It was HIS idea that I should date her in the first place. Then as soon as we became a couple he started criticizing me about everything and trying to tell me what to do.

Perhaps it works both ways.

Though, interestingly, her bond with her mother was strengthened by her moving out of their house and in with me. When they lived together, all they did was fight. After she moved out, they became best friends, and she began following her mother's advice, which was often in contrast with my advice. Now that I kicked her back to her parent's house, they are back to constant, vicious fighting.

People are sooooo ridiculous!

15. Daisy

Gold Member

I dont know..mine are little so not telling yet but my boy is my mini me. He is just my clone so I can't imagine us not being close some day. My girl is more independent but she loves me and if we keep up good communication I see no reason why she will avoid my calls when she turns 18 but who knows! Your kids can always blame you for everything wrong in their lives!

16. D_Sparroe Spongecaques

I have 1 son and 5 daughters and my son very rarely gave me kisses once he hit his teens (well its just not 'cool') though now he signs his texts,fone calls and emails telling me he loves me and adds several kisses.He's only 16 now and touring with the circus so i think he misses me alot,well i know he does as he has admitted it.

My daughters all give me a kiss and a hug when they go home/uni/to bed/if i'm going out/work etc etc.

So in my experience my daughters were more tactile and kissy kissy towards me than my son.When they were all tots my son was the one who was more for me than anyone else.The girls were more independant then,he is now.

My son however is my baby,all 6ft of him.....3 of the girls are clones of me but with darker hair.

17. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    All of my female cousins have incredibly close relationships with their mothers, much closer than any of my male cousins with their mothers, and my father dated a woman with three daughters who had a close relationship. I was raised by my father, so obviously my mother and I are not close at all, but I always envied those mother-daughter relationships of the people I knew. I tried hard to have the relationship with my mother that I wanted to have well into adulthood, but I finally gave up over 10 years ago. It was just never meant to happen.

18. D_Petherick_Poundlouder

In my experience, this lines up. I love my momma.

19. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

This fits with my experience. When my brother has a girlfriend we rarely see him. When I'm with someone they spend a whole lot of time here. In LTR's my guys have always spent Xmas with my family rather than theirs (their choice, I gave them the option to split the day in two where possible). When I was growing up my only fights with mum were about dad's ridiculous rules and very occasionally, because she was worried about my safety. Overall, we had a great relationship and continue to have great relationship. I definitely count my mum amongst my best friends.

20. dolfette

Gold Member

my daughter is hormonally evil.
    i'm scared.

Draft saved Draft deleted