Motives for showing off

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Imported, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Imported

Gold Member

View_From_Below: The recent threads about showing your stuff made me think about what exactly is the dynamic going on when hung guys – which doesn’t include me – are showing their stuff in a male environment like the locker room. Those of you who do it, or who have observed those who do—what’s the primary motive for showing off? Some possibilities:

a. dominating—in effect saying I have a huge beautiful dick and the rest of you don’t; I’m establishing that I am the alpha male here.

b. tormenting—I have a huge beautiful dick which I know the rest of you are jealous of, and I get off on your envy.

c. cruising—I have a huge beautiful dick and I’ll consider requests to do me.

d. sharing—a huge beautiful dick landed on me by amazing good luck. Every guy wants one but very few get one. Most guys without one are very curious, so I’m sharing the gift—look all you want, isn’t it great?

Are there other possibilities? Any idea which of these is the most/least common? What’s going on in the head of the show-er?

View From Below

2. Imported

Gold Member

blak9: You pretty much hit the nail on the head (Except for the cruising part, unless in a majority female environment.)

I show off because finally I can. I couldn't when I was younger b/c I was a fat kid. Now that I have finally started to reap the benefits of working out, I like to show it off. If I had a six inch dick, I would still show it off.

3. Imported

Gold Member

drrionelli: Right you are, blak9!

And, why not? It's yours, and one has no reason to be ashamed of anything. The human body is the apotheosis of engineering as it is known. EVERYTHING about it has a function. That alone suggests its beauty.

You don't slouch if you're tall, do you? You don't bind your feet if they're too big, right? Why not be proud of what you have "down there"?

After all, if it weren't for what SOMEBODY had "down there" we wouldn't be here to debate the issue!

4. Imported

Gold Member

View_From_Below: No, certainly there's no reason to be ashamed. Just the opposite. But I'm asking about the motive, the GRATIFICATION. What is it about showing off that is most satisfying? Is it the process of butting horns, establishing dominance? Is it breaking free of social constraints about nudity? Is it tormenting the envious guys with small dicks? Is it magnanimity, sharing your great good luck with others? Is the the pleasure of basking in admiration ?

View From Below

5. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Is it even that serious?

Of course I admire your effort at trying to get "deeper" explanations for the compulsion (yeah, that's a harsh word for it but you get the idea) to show off, but you forget that there is always showing off for its own sake. What I mean is, showing off connotatively suggests such a dominance, but chances are, there are simply those in the population who like and are not ashamed to reveal genitalia mutually. Feelings such as admiration, jealousy, or envy are subsequent (i.e. "I reveal my penis, and in addition to x, y, and z feelings, I enjoy it.") with the cause, not necessarily a consequent (i.e. "I reveal my penis only because of x, y, and z feelings that result.").

6. jonb

Gold Member

Very well written, Dee. I mean, I don't mind if ppl look, whatever their reason. But don't touch. LOL

7. D_Martin van Burden

You're just inhibited, Jon. ;D

8. Imported

Gold Member

tbone: T-Bone of the central coast of CA

dear view from below: yes, to selections a, b,c and d. When I was in high school. my eight and one half incher was one of the few escapes I had from a miserable youth and childhood; it guaranteed that the locker room was at least ONE place I was not subject to endless humiliation, physical abuse and taunting. To this day, I love the stares, raised eyebrows(not to mention the occasional raised penis), comments and roamin' hands and rushin' fingers that make their way to adore PANCHO in the locker room of the gym. Even at 49, I am amazed and delighted that my body still gets attention from men half my age. Do I appreciate it? more than I can express.
    I had the opposite problem of Blak9- I was a scrawny , unathletic kid . I had no self
    esteem. My physical education teacher pointed at my chest when our 10th grade class was lined up in our swim trunks in front of the high school pool and yelled" look at that- his chest makes him look like a Biafran refugee!" (emaciated escapees of the brutality of the Nigerian civil war in late 1969-70). God knows I needed something to be proud of............

9. Imported

Gold Member

bcmalone: I'm pretty heavy. But I'm also a gentleman, even to guys. So I don't like to change clothes in public, where the view of a fatso would gross everybody out. As strange as this may sound, my job necessitates that I have pictures takes often. So I usually duck in somewhere to change before the rest of the boys do. There was this a-hole that I worked with, that always said that I didn't want to strip in front of the rest of the guys because I had a teeny dick. And, like most chubs, when it is soft, it is, indeed, "King of the Turtles". But, when I'm hard, I'm a full-fledged member of this list with 8 and a half honest, hard, thick inches. (the guys always DID wonder how a lard-ass like me ever got pussy!) Well. one time, there was no place for me to hide and change, and I was left alone with this jerk. I was turned away, and he started his shit about " my little dick". I had had enough. We would often have a little booze while we were taking pictures, and emboldened, I thought that I would shut this fuckhead up once and for all. I was also armed with the knowledge that this guy, who had a great-looking cock when it was soft, didn't gain any size when he got hard. This I knew because I had gotten a hand-job from a recent ex of his not long before this shoot. And this guy always bragged about having a "huge cock" (maybe 5 inches at best!!).
    He was sitting down across the room facing away from me, putting on his shoes, and I started to silently whack up my cock. He was still taunting me, as I walked over to him, holding it out and pumping it up so the head was huge and throbbing. It was right about at his face level. He turned and looked at it, shook his head and said "WHOA!". I said "Now will you shut the fuck up?" The jerkoff never said anything again.

10. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

My reason is a different one. The only time I intentionally 'show off' my cock is at work. I am an exotic dancer. The reason I show off is because I have bills to pay, and there aren't very many jobs out there that pay as well unless you have specific skills that qualify you.

11. D_Martin van Burden

[quote author=tbone link=board=meetgreet;num=1036788764;start=0#7 date=11/09/02 at 21:07:25]I was a scrawny , unathletic kid . I had no self
    esteem...[/quote]

I can relate to this one a bit. Though my build has improved and I'm much proud of who I am as a person, once I realized that my dick was larger than your average Joe's, I can't deny the secret esteem and pride it bequeathed unto me.

12. Imported

Gold Member

Plowboy: I have to say my motivation for showing off is the feeling of being admired. I have spent a great deal of my life in a weight room, starting at age 13 and gradually developed myself into a adult male that women liked looking at in tight t-shirts and shorts. It was in my college years that I found out that I had something else to show off. I never dated in High School and so when I hit college I was enlightened about the opposite sex. I had several females mention that they were impressed with my size in muscle mass along with my endowment. Some gals actually said that they heard men who lift weights were making their muscles larger to make up for what they lacked between there legs. Well once I found out I had something women wanted I started showing off my body and member more in tight fitting shorts out in public and really got excited when I caught a woman looking. Actually most women are very sly about looking at a mans groin area, but sometimes you get ones that just stare and if they have a friend around they grab them and show them as well, and its pretty obvious, but this turned me on. I got to the point that I would wear silver spandex shorts outside so the neighbor women could get a view.

13. Imported

Gold Member

sxyguy4u_69: i can agree with the whole self esteem issue. i have low self esteemso i don't show it off much unless someone else asks. i'm not above grinding someone into the ground when they anger me though. i may not be the biggest but im still bigger than a lot of the kids in my classes(and a few upperclassmen also). im very competitive by nature and this is one competition i very rarely lose ;D ok well jus puttin in my view

14. Imported

Gold Member

johnholmeshorse: I mainly showed it off in HS to shut a lot of disbelivers and jealous people up about my size. Never thought about the dominating thing more like tomenting and teasing the other guys who said I was lying. I shared with many girls to, mainly looking and holding, nothing further than that. I showed it off because I had no shame and an ego back then, and lved to hear them talk about me to thier other girl friends about me. That was something I totally got off on. An interesting point that's been made here. I think I have to go back to therapy now :p

15. Imported

Gold Member

MichaelWith11: Interesting discussion. I liked showing mine off quite a lot when I was younger. I was a relatively late bloomer in my class and had been teased for that. So I showed it off a lot as I grew.

These days, at 51, I don't aggressively show it so much, but I don't take pains to hide it in locker rooms, either. I find myself using stalls in rest rooms most of the time so I won't be "noticed," but occasionally it's the case that I don't really care who sees it. Same goes for locker rooms, as well: sometimes I shower and dress quickly, sometimes I don't care and just let it hang.

Like anything else, I guess...sometimes one likes attention, sometimes one does not.

Michael

16. Imported

Gold Member

Donk: I confess that I enjoy showing mine. But it is hard to analyze the reason down to a specific motive. One thing that I can say does not motivate me is any desire to make others feel humiliated or envious, though I'm sure it has that effect on some viewers. (There were a couple exceptions to this back when I was in school--guys who were generally regarded as total assholes and I gladly took the opportunity to knock them down a peg by flaunting it in the shower. But in all other cases I actually feel guilty if I believe that seeing my penis has caused another guy to feel bad.)

As far as I can analyze it, my motives are probably similar to some that have been mentioned. As Michael observed, some people like being the center of attention, others hate it. I have always liked it. Guys have posted in the past that they are intensely embarrassed by the attention paid to their penis size--I think these guys are among the type of people who would just rather blend into a crowd than stand out. I always feel pride in such situations rather than embarrassment. (One thing though, I always try to look like I am not showing off intentionally and like I am not savoring the attention. When my buds in school used to make cracks about my size, I always pretended to be embarrassed though I was secretly proud and realized that their jokes were really signs of admiration.)

Some posters have suggested that their penis size helps compensate for less desirable physical traits. I have always been short in height (final adult height 5'5").  I am very comfortable with my height, but I can't deny that society equates being tall with being manly. Showing my penis in the locker room is a way to say, "See, I really am all man!" In school, my friends on the basketball team seemed especially impresssed by how I outstripped them down there. (It might be that my penis size is part of what helped me become comfortable with my height. I guess I will never know if I would feel the same about my height if I had a smaller penis. But I love the contrast and the way it surprises guys in the locker room and girls in the bedroom!)

17. Imported

Gold Member

meathose10: Wow - this discussion is a real eye-opener.
       I'd have to say my main motivation for showing off is to derive pleasure from being admired. I like knowing a small guy wishes he had what I do and I'm happy to show him what it's like to have a lot of fuckmuscle swinging between the legs... I don't "get off" on his envy exactly , but I'm aware of it and am happy to have the unusually large endowment I do. I feel pride , not superiority. It's not like I earned my cock, after all - it's a very lucky gift.
       VFB I was surprised by you choice of words in your sub-categories - like "dominating" and "tormenting". Do you non-endowed men think anybody with a big one is arrogant and combatative? I hope I've never given that impression myself. I see men look and I assume that's because they enjoy what they see , so I'm glad to show 'em more. I don't "lord it over" the small men , though I'll admit I show-off more vigorously around a tiny guy than an average one. I definitely think: "Take a look at this" but it's not a put-down. A number of good friendships have developed based on this friendly flaunting. I've worked out for years. I guess I use the locker room as an arena for exhibitionism. (Why does that word have negative connotations , anyway ?) I'm popular. None of my ease and pleasure with my own equipment seems to have alienated anyone. VFB , another word that struck me as odd was "sharing" or "magnanimous" in regards to showing off the heavy hose. It's not communal territory , that's for damn sure. But all eyes ARE welcome.. ..I know of some guys who feel bad if they're huge because they're afraid the little dudes will automatically think they're making fun of them just by standing there with something half way down their thigh. Ironically you could think you're inadvertantly "tormenting" a guy just by being blessed , I guess. And as for the " I'll let you do me " comment in your cruising category -  well , it's definitely not bait. I just own a great big ole' dick, don't I?
        Having never come from the viewpoint and feelings of inadequacy and envy most men with less than an average package seem to possibly have it's been an education to try to imagine what it's like. Thanks! And I'll keep showing off.

18. Imported

Gold Member

lttle1: [quote author=meathose10 link=board=meetgreet;num=1036788764;start=15#16 date=12/15/02 at 19:37:34]Do you non-endowed men think anybody with a big one is arrogant and combatative?[/quote]

Certainly not. Of all the well endowed men I have seen in locker rooms I can think of only two or three who I thought had an arrogant attitude. There's a world of difference between the friendly attitude you seem to have of "Look at this! Isn't it great?" and the arrogant attitude of "Do you see this? It makes yours look like a gnat's." And unless the hung guy actually stands there saying one thing or the other, the only way to tell which he is thinking is by his face. If the face looks mean, and the nose looks stuck up in the air, I perceive the arrogant attitude. Otherwise I perceive a neutral one. If a guy looks nice and friendly and looks like he's watching for guys to look at his dick, then I perceive the playful exhibitionism that Meathose10 describes.

I'm curious about that statement. Meathose, or any other hung guy who feels the same way, why would you be more inclined to show off to a small guy than to an average guy. I didn't even know that well hung guys made much of a distinction between average and small. Do you?

This self conscious aversion to making small guys feel bad is something I've only learned about here on this board, and it's very interesting and heartening to know about. I'm curious, Meathose, have you actually talked with other hung guys about this outside of LPSG?

19. Imported

Gold Member

Mancman: When I'm in the shower room/lockers at my gym I usually walk around with the towel hanging from my hand. Most people seem to wrap it around their waist.

I guess I like having other men checking out my cock. It's seven inches flaccid and a couple more hard. But since I'm gay, I guess that's natural.

Having a good body is why I go to the gym.

20. Imported

Gold Member

Icarus213: I am tempted to relate this discussion to a really gorgeous girl with a great body. If she dresses a bit less than modestly, she is showing off her beauty and will invariably be the source of a lot of attention, negative and positive. If a girl less attractive wears a short skirt, it really isn't an issue.

Same with guys who are really hung, it seems. If I walk around naked with a big dick, I am showing it off. If I walk around naked with a small dick, I am just walking around naked. It is almost like the more you have, the more modest you have to be, otherwise you are showing off.

Seems like an interesting double standard, but that is the way we are talking, isn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted