Motorcycles

D_Peanu Reeves

Just Browsing
Media
It’s been fascinating to hear what all of you have been saying about motorcycles and helmets and what you wear. The state of Montana does not require helmets but I would never ride without one even if I am wearing shorts. Anyway, I thought I would share a story from a friend. He said it was okay to share. It is kind of gross. So, stop reading if you get queasy on that kind of stuff.

hey, I was riding back home from work when I was going up hill around a right hand corner. The road was under construction so the road it self was not banked high on the inside of the corner. well either way entering the corner I was doing fine till my bike went out from under me and i hit an 18 wheeler that was coming down the hill and i hit his back set of wheels on the trailer. I ended up totaling my 07 v-max 1200cc and broke his axle bent his frame and his wheels. I was only traveling 40mph but it didn’t take much.
broken left wrist and hand, broke my pelvis in half and now have a plate in it, I also broke my left tibia and fibia and dislocated my left knee and tore every ligament in it beyond repair and I also lost my left pinky toe due to the force of impact ripping my foot out of my shoes. I also had to have a vein harvest so that I didn't bleed to death and had a blood transfusion.

It was too much of a wake up call and it's sad that something like that has to occur to realize it. But the helmet I was wearing saved my life cause it was indented about 3 inches and had a 2 and a half inch hole circumference in the back of it. I had extensive injuries, grade 3 concussion, collapsed lung, broken left index finger and broken left wrist and hand, broke my pelvis in half and now have a plate in it, I also broke my left tibia and fibia and dislocated my left knee and tore every ligament in it beyond repair and I also lost my left pinky toe due to the force of impact ripping my foot out of my shoes. I also had to have a vein harvest so that I didn't bleed to death and had a blood transfusion. I was in the ICU for a few weeks then in the hospital for 2 months. And now have decided to get my leg amputated. I had the surgery just this past Friday and now am at home and don't feel to bad. I would be stupid not too regret it but unfortunately I can't take that all back but would if i could. But I would strongly recommend a helmet no matter what cause it doesn't take much to wreck. And as they say it's not a matter of if but of when you will wreck. Well let me know if this helped you at all it has been nice talking to you.

ripvanwinkle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i always wear leather jacket, gloves, boots and helmet. Usually leather pants, but when really hot, kevlar lined jeans. had my first crash after 20 years and although i broke bones, no road rash:biggrin1:
sometimes i wear my one piece that i use at the track because it is so much more comfortable than a jacket!

there are old bikers and stupid bikers, but no old stupid bikers.

my slightly modified 2008 cbr1000rr handles so well and has some serious power! (the attached dyno graph does not show rpm, but speed in 4th gear. God knows how fast it will go in 5th/6th)

and yes, i usually wear my head:biggrin1:

Attachments

Last edited:

MalakingTiti

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i always wear leather jacket, gloves, boots and helmet. Usually leather pants, but when really hot, kevlar lined jeans. had my first crash after 20 years and although i broke bones, no road rash:biggrin1:
sometimes i wear my one piece that i use at the track because it is so much more comfortable than a jacket!

there are old bikers and stupid bikers, but no old stupid bikers.

my slightly modified 2008 cbr1000rr handles so well and has some serious power!

and yes, i usually wear my head:biggrin1:

Beautiful bike. Honda baby!

Kayden96

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. I ride, and am quite good at it. In fact I'm nasty in the saddle. Anyway, I had a serious accident a few years ago where my bike broke in 3 pieces and the only reason I am sitting here now, and not drooling on the keyboard is because of my Shoei helmet. I still have the helmet and often look at the gashes in the side to remind me of how lucky I am. If you think so little of yourself that you want to go helmetless, go right ahead, but please don't make silly injury assumptions that you are obviously ill equipped to make.

Looks like it broke your sense of humor too.

D_Peanu Reeves

Just Browsing
Media
man, I love to ride. But sometimes it is too tempting to get cauky in traffic. I know that it must piss off some of the other drivers when i do that. I really try to behave myself when I ride. I have been on many rides with friends through the mountains. We have one pass that is over 10,000 feet in elevation.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I change bikes a lot. Right now it's a 2006 Triumph Tiger 1050 for long rides and touring, a Suzuki DRZ for trails, and a Ducati 999 for blasting down the coast rode.

I always wear a full face helmut, leather gloves, leather pants, combat boots, and a Rukka jacket. If it's just riding the 5k to work I wear jeans, but I never ride without the Rukka. I love that jacket. When the weather cools down I wear full leather for road riding.

ripvanwinkle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
"If I'm going for a quick ride, I generally don't wear my helmet."
i'm the opposite. a quick ride for me includes 120mph power wheelies in third. yes, it is that powerful. i feel greater acceleration at that speed than most people ever experience. so, my quick rides are fully clothed in the best gear:smile:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
...If I'm going for a quick ride, I generally don't wear my helmet.[/QUOTE]i'm the opposite. a quick ride for me includes 120mph power wheelies in third. yes, it is that powerful. i feel greater acceleration at that speed than most people ever experience. so, my quick rides are full clothed in the best gear:smile:
F...ing awesome! My best friend and riding buddy just bought a Fireblade! He's keeping it in France because the roads are shit here. He has a 1200R GS here. I can't wait to take his beast out in two weeks when I get to S. France. :biggrin1:

cute5

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've been riding for about 30 years, big bikes, small bikes, medium bikes. Right now I'm on a Honda Rebel 250. I always wear a helmet, but no other mc gear -- much to hot in Texas. I believe it is called being a 'squid'.

ripvanwinkle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
F...ing awesome! My best friend and riding buddy just bought a Fireblade! He's keeping it in France because the roads are shit here. He has a 1200R GS here. I can't wait to take his beast out in two weeks when I get to S. France. :biggrin1:
while the bike inspires incredible confidence, the stock tires are crap. the front brake is very powerful. this is a race bike. i had to make mods to bring the power to euro specs. so, although it is very easy to ride, it is very easy to get into trouble. i like to go through an s turn at a local track on the back wheel. at 90 mph plus. this really is a major breakthrough in handling and mid rpm power. be careful, though. it has more power than a hyabusa in many situations. and much less weight

Attachments

Cowabanga

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When it is hot, what is your solution of wearing protection while still trying to stay cool?
I ride a 150cc moped, but I have only one congenital kidney and cant bruise that as well.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
When it is hot, what is your solution of wearing protection while still trying to stay cool?
I ride a 150cc moped, but I have only one congenital kidney and cant bruise that as well.
Drink huge amounts of water so I sweat a lot. Summer riding jackets let the air flow through, so at gas stops I'll pour water over myself and put on the jacket. The evaporation cools you down.

But when it gets scorching hot, the best solution is a air conditioned Porsche. :tongue:

B_stevekorgman

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I just got a 2006 R1 Raven - very sweet - black - I always wear my Shoei - even when it's hot - good friend died several years ago - they said he would have "made it" with a helmet - can't ever forget that; in cooler weather, I wear a Vanson V-Pilot with the flow thru panels - the leather is mostly perforated but safe; in the winter I switch to my Langlitz 10-pocket - best damn leather jacket in the world.

D_Lanlivery Shrivelsack

Account Disabled
Media
I'm a 20 year-old college student and my baby is a 2006 Kawasaki 650r. This is my third riding season here in Wisconsin, although I didn't get out much this summer. Modding my bike and riding are definately my main hobby and vacation from regular life. I always wear my full face helmet, jacket with elbow, shoulder, and back armor, gloves, riding jeans with aramid knees, and some Shift fuel street shoes although I'll probably upgrade to some Sidi streetburners next summer.

Here are some pictures of my bike from a couple months ago during spring break when I put in a new exhaust, air filter, and PCIII.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2072/springbreak091j.jpg
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2126/springbreak092.jpg
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2059/springbreak093.jpg

The great irony between my own reserved personality and owning this bike amongst whatever else apparently creates this perception that I'm small. This has come up with some of my close chick friends when we have had sexual conversations, and my last gf even admitted to thinking I was going to be half the size I actually am. On the one hand it's always fun to shock the few girls who have seen it, but on the other I definately feel as if it drives some girls away. *shrug*, it's not really a complaint so much as an observation. Anyone else get this kind of reaction? On the bright side though, my bike has definately garnered a lot of positive attention from the ladies. Always nice to have a hot little lady tucked up behind you for a ride.