Motorola TV ad: Funny? Homophobic?

Discussion in 'Funny Stuff: Jokes, Quizzes, Games & Pics' started by MisterMark, Jan 30, 2009.

?

Is the Motorola TV ad funny? Homophobic?

1. Funny - yes. Homophobic - no.

70.0%
  2. Funny - yes. Homophobic - yes.

20.0%
  3. Funny - no. Homophobic - yes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Funny - no. Homophobic - no.

10.0%
  1. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. D_Doewell Dadong

D_Doewell Dadong New Member

Its neither funny or homophobic. But looks like a great product for people who drive a lot like me.

3. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I got a little chuckle out of that. I've seen many people make the mistake of responding to answers that weren't directed at them because the person was speaking to another through a small device that was barely visible to anyone else.

Homophobic? Probably not... I've seen a lot worse. But it's very apparent what the commercial was about so I wouldn't get all bent out of shape over it.

4. jjsjr

Gold Member

Albums:
    I got a slight chuckle out of it...
    but more importantly, I didn't feel offended when I first saw it.

I think it's just nice to have the LGBT exposure, in any sense.

That commercial is FAR BETTER than that horrible homophobic Snickers ad.

5. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Snickers ad...

The Super Bowl one where the two dudes are eating either end of it and accidentally kiss in the middle?

6. jjsjr

Gold Member

Albums:
  7. Gl3nn

Gold Member

What is homophobic about this commercial?

8. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hmm. That's interesting, because I didn't see the Snickers ad as absolutely homophobic. The behavior of the guys in that ad was so over-the-top that it was clearly meant to be comedy, and the joke was really on both of the guys for acting like neanderthals.

I think the Motorola ad is very homophobic. It's funny, but in a mean-spirited way. The joke is on the gay guy, and the manner in which the other guy scoots away from him at the end conveys a message that says gay guys are gross. To make things worse, at the end, the gay guy is shown again sitting there alone. The message is that he not only looks ridiculous, but given the look on his face, he feels ridiculous too. The straight guy gets to go out on a date, while the gay guy gets treated like a leper, and is then left sitting there alone to think about how he was just humiliated. Showing him again says: "Look at the silly homo. Doesn't he look stupid?"

What a different feel the ad would have had if either of the guys had just laughed about the misunderstanding and then made a joke about it, including the other in on the funny nature of the misunderstanding.

Or another ending that would have shown being gay as something positive: The assumed straight guy suddenly looks interested in the other guy and tells the person on the other end of the phone, "Uh...I've got to go now. Could I call you back?", and then smiles at the gay guy and says something like, "I'd love to go out. I have NO plans for tonight!"

I think this ad absolutely communicates a feeling of homophobia. Feel free to counter my arguments.

#8 MisterMark, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  9. Gl3nn

Gold Member

I see what you mean Mark, but still... I don't see this as homophobic.

That's kinda the problem with, dare I say: minorities, they start seeing discrimination everywhere.

This was clearly meant to be funny, not discriminatory. At least, that's my opinion.
    Everyone has the right to his own opinion, but I really don't see it in this commercial.

10. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, I don't see it as a "problem with minorities". You're saying that if someone in the majority observes or feels discrimination, his opinion should be taken more seriously than someone who is part of a minority because, well, minorities tend to "see discrimination everywhere"?

11. Gl3nn

Gold Member

No, not at all. I'm just saying that sometimes people overreact.

Like here: this is just a commercial that's meant to be funny. And people are starting to look for a deeper meaning and all. A sort of hidden message. Yeh, there is one... buy motorola products

12. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, everybody sees things like this differently, and I believe that all opinions are worth considering. That's why advertising and marketing agencies conduct focus groups.

I didn't have to look for a "hidden message" at all. The first time I saw it, I thought it was sort of funny until I saw the straight guy scoot away from the gay guy as if he's going to catch cooties if he sits too close to the gay guy.

Sure, it's meant to be funny, but at the gay guy's expense. I'm not even saying that that's wrong, but I'm sure that most gay people would not enjoy being treated like that.

Yes, I'm analyzing this to bits, but I enjoy doing that sometimes. :biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted