Mountain Dew/Pepsi "Throwback" sodas.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
So Mountain Dew and Pepsi have start doing a "limited time only" release of these sodas made with real cane sugar as opposed to high fructose corn syrup. I did a little reading on wikipedia, and it appears that the reason they stopped using sugar in the first place is because the price of sugar went up and the price of corn was down. However, as of late, the opposite is true. Sugar prices have dropped and thanks to ethanol fuel, the price of corn has gone up. I haven't tried the Pepsi one yet, but I bought a 12-pack of the Mountain Dew one, and it's really tasty! Tastes almost exactly like regular Mountain Dew, in my opinion, without being as thick and syrupy. And even though sugar isn't a great health choice, I feel that it's way better for me than high fructose corn syrup. Has anyone else tried these? Do you feel, as I do, that this should be a permanent change and not a "limited time only" deal? If they had this around all the time, I'd never go back to high fructose corn syrup soda.

Throwback (drink) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I love the "classic" design of the cans. I think it would be a good idea to leave it as regular sugar, if only for the fact people would be aware of what they were drinking.

I wouldn't mind a sip.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
High Fructose Corn Syrup is the Devil's spawn.

AMEN Indy!! It is no coincidence that as HFCS has been infused into everything...obesity rates have grown exponentially.

Aye. This is why I said that even though sugar isn't great, it's surely a better option that HFCS.

Maybe its a "limited" edition, trial basis. To see if the customers like it.

Well, this isn't the first time they've released it, I guess. According to wikipedia, this is their third "limited time only" release of the sodas. Hopefully they make it permanent at some point!

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Glycemic Index of Sweeteners

• Stevia 0
• Erythritol 0
• Xylitol 7
• Agave Nectar 15
• Barley Malt Syrup 42
• Maple Syrup 54
• Backstrap Molasses 55
• Honey 62
• White Sugar 68
• High Fructose Corn Syrup 100
• Glucose 100

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Glycemic index aside...white sugar does not screw with our metabolic processes and how our bodies store serum triglycerides and lipids....fructose does....and it has been proven in several studies. Im sorry to go off topic....but this issue really pisses me off; that we have been POISONED for an entire generation...all in the name of saving a few bucks. Then we get platitudes like, "you need to exercise more" and "cut down on fast food and sweets"....well no sh*t Sherklock.

I spend about 45 minutes at the store picking up a few basic items because I READ labels. Guess what...items that contain no HFCS or lesser amounts of fructose are more expensive!!! I am fortunate enough to where I can afford the extra dollar here and there and know how to interpret the cryptic disclosure the FDA requires. Many people are not...and they are getting sick...and we are all paying for it.

Whew...ok, rant over. Back to the news desk for weather and sports. lol

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It really seems as if soda has been deeply ingrained into our culture. It's basically a food group on its own.

I was reading an article recently about how studies have shown that diet soda isn't helping people lose weight (or stop gaining it, as it were-- not to mention the effects of aspartame). A dietitian of some sort that owns a dieting clinic reported that after having changed the diets of her clients from regular soda to diet soda, that there wasn't much, if any, of a change in their weight.

What I didn't understand about that was why in the hell wouldn't she just get them drinking water instead of diet soda? What a terrible dietitian, I think. Instead of drinking sugar-substituted cola, why not just cut it out completely? It's like using organic potatoes to make chips, and labeling it "health-conscious".

Do people need soda? It's as if it's an addiction, and people are slowly weaned off it with smaller doses, or alternative "drugs" with similar effects. Is it really that addictive? And if it is, why isn't regulated or anything?

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I agree with you Disco....problem is that HFCS is embedded in things you would never imagine. Not just soda, it is in breads, condiments, pasta, beer...almost everything anything canned...cold medications, etc. I, personally, do not like soda. It makes me bloated and does nothing to quench my thirst....but I know people who would go postal without it.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I had a Throwback Pepsi a few months ago, and it tasted pretty good. I thought the can was pretty cool looking, too. But you're all dead on about high fructose corn syrup; it's cheap and it's in EVERYTHING and it's hard to get away from it.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Do people need soda? It's as if it's an addiction, and people are slowly weaned off it with smaller doses, or alternative "drugs" with similar effects. Is it really that addictive? And if it is, why isn't regulated or anything?
It's the added caffeine, same as nicotine -- keeps people coming back. I've loved sodas since my grandma bought me a Dr. Pepper on a road trip when I was probably pre-school. Best thing I'd ever tasted. My mom wouldn't let me have soda, but I was raised on Kool-Aid. To this day when I visit my dad he's got a gallon of Kool-Aid chilling in the refrigerator.

I've had an on again off again relationship with soda my whole adult life. And I'm not fat. It's got to be the caffeine, because I don't buy the caffeine-free varieties. And when I haven't had a cola for awhile, it doesn't taste that good. My drink of choice is Diet Mountain Dew.

I wish there was still something of the kola nut in colas. Then it might actually have some nutritional value. Except for a few "artisanal" colas that I've never been able to find in my local area, colas are artificially flavored and colored.

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Around here, Throwback Pepsi and Mt. Dew are on their second go around. The first time they hit the market was last summer. Not a Pepsi (or Coke for that matter) drinker, but I tried the Mt Dew and I liked it. As someone stated earlier, it doesn't have that thick syrupyness to it. When I drink regular Mt Dew from a can, I can maybe stomach 1, as the syrup makes me sick. I found that the Throwbacks did more to quench my thirst, and I could also drink more than one at a time (not really a good thing).

As a side note, I ususally drink 2 cans of Diet Mt Dew and 64oz of regular Mt Dew a day (when I work). I also drink a bare minimum of 2 liters of water a day, and often drink 3+ liters a day.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I tried the throwbacks last year and didn't like them all that much. They taste okay, but I guess I'm used to the regular recipes because I think those taste much better.

The Mountain Dew throwback I actually didn't like at all, to be quite honest. I don't really much like Mountain Dew anyway, but the throwback tasted strange to me. I do love the Mountain Dew variations Code Red and Livewire, though. I also really liked two of the new flavors of Mountain Dew that were recently available and up for a vote on which one would be added permanently.

With all that being said, I prefer Dr. Pepper to other kinds of coke and I've noticed they've now jumped on Pepsi's bandwagon and are offering a variation made with sugar. I'll try it eventually, but I'm in no hurry after my experience with the Pepsi brands.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
At my local supermarket every so often they'll sell Coke or Pepsi products to you in 2 liter bottles for 75¢ but only if you buy ten bottles at a time. Because they know if you have more on hand you will drink more. The way caffeine works, the way all addictive substances work is you quickly develop a tolerance and need more. Caffeine is a mild addiction, but it can still make you sick, give you headaches and possibly other symptoms.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
This week a study was released by UCLA's cancer center linking consumption of fructose to cancer.

"Pancreatic tumor cells use fructose to divide and proliferate, U.S. researchers said on Monday in a study that challenges the common wisdom that all sugars are the same."

Cancer cells slurp up fructose, US study finds | Reuters

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I tried the throwbacks last year and didn't like them all that much. They taste okay, but I guess I'm used to the regular recipes because I think those taste much better.

The Mountain Dew throwback I actually didn't like at all, to be quite honest. I don't really much like Mountain Dew anyway, but the throwback tasted strange to me. I do love the Mountain Dew variations Code Red and Livewire, though. I also really liked two of the new flavors of Mountain Dew that were recently available and up for a vote on which one would be added permanently.

With all that being said, I prefer Dr. Pepper to other kinds of coke and I've noticed they've now jumped on Pepsi's bandwagon and are offering a variation made with sugar. I'll try it eventually, but I'm in no hurry after my experience with the Pepsi brands.

If it tastes like the Dr. Pepper I remember as a kid, I will DEFINITELY try it! I knew they changed the formula. While it's still ok, it was one of the best things in life when I was a kid. (And it's not that "I was a kid", either - it actually did taste better.)