Movies based on remakes, shows, or sequels that should never have been made before?

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Think of any movie that based itself on a show, movie, or sequel that shouldn't have seen the light of day at all? Name them.

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Italian Job remake was not that good compared to the original in 1969.

Plus the above posters Saw comment.

Pandora77

Cherished Member
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hate remakes of old and classic horror movies from the 60's, 70's or even 80's in general. Even though the special effects weren't quite as good back then, they made up with the great and "scary" atmosphere and often better actors/actresses.
How could you ever make of remake of a Hitchcock movie anyways, he was brilliant?!

The plagiaristic remake of Psycho in 1998. *shiver*

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I hate remakes of old and classic horror movies from the 60's, 70's or even 80's in general. Even though the special effects weren't quite as good back then, they made up with the great and "scary" atmosphere and often better actors/actresses.
How could you ever make of remake of a Hitchcock movie anyways, he was brilliant?!

I don't mind people trying to do it. It really depends on the director and how they envision the original movie. I will agree that most of the remakes have just been dreadful. Psycho '98 was practically the same exact film, line per line and scene per scene, with new actors. Rob Zombie seems to take every film and order a few million gallons of pig blood to throw in every scene. Although I was rather intrigued with how he tried to show more of the killer's past roots with the Halloween series. Michael Bay should be forced to clean bathroom stalls with his tongue after doing what he did with Friday the 13th.

Part of me would really like to see someone redo Wait Until Dark, however, I would be really pissed if they messed it up.

Last edited:

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I really don't know if this counts or not but I hated Transformers.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Wow there are so many... I really don't believe in remakes. I would have to say one of the worst was The Woman. What on earth made them think they could pull it off when the original was timeless?

D_Adam_Baldwon

Account Disabled
Media

I agree. But like as you said, even though the special effects are considered to be "primitive" by today's standards, the overuse of CGI in certain movies (especially horror) almost make it comical. Sometimes I watch these special effects and it almost looks cartoonish. Definitely, the atmosphere of horror movies in the 70's (which I consider to the be the golden age) overcomes some of the campy effects.

But onto my list

Halloween
Amityville Horror
The Omen
Nightmare on Elm Street

And if Hollywood even tries to attempt to re-make The Exorcist or The Shining (granted there was a made for tv remake) I will throw a fit.

I forgot one more Black Christmas

Pandora77

Cherished Member
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think one reason why there was a Remake of "Shining" for TV, in 4 parts, was that the movie with Jack Nicholson (brilliant, absolutely brilliant!!!!) was pretty different from the book.
I think Stephen King didn't like that fact, so they had a remake done that was really close to the story in the book.
But even though the remake was more like the book than the movie, it wasn't exactly better.
I'd hate to see them do a remake of Pet Sematary.

And if Hollywood even tries to attempt to re-make The Exorcist or The Shining (granted there was a made for tv remake) I will throw a fit.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
The upcoming Let Me In.

It's a remake of Let The Right One In, which was simply beautiful and really needs no remake. The original is great. So they speak Swedish! Is it a problem to read English subtitles? I know it wasn't for me.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The plagiaristic remake of Psycho in 1998. *shiver*
This, this, this! Along with every one of its sequels.

Not sure if this counts, but I didn't enjoy Burton's Alice in Wonderland at all.

That Freddie Kreuger movie that just came out (with the actor that plays Rorschach in Watchmen) was fucking terrible. The antagonist (or would he be protagonist?) was just too comical. Bunch of really cheesy lines.

The Silence of the Lambs sequels/prequels (they're all just one bad blur in my memory actually, so one may've been decent, but I've totally forgotten).

The third Godfather. Bleh.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I thought the remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was pretty lame.

A few others;

Fame
Dukes of Hazard
Sunset Boulevard stage production with Glenn Close
The Parent Trap
Flinstones