Movies that Make Men Cry

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Apr 2, 2007.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

I rarely see or hear men crying at movies and me, I rarely cry if ever at the movies. On the occassion when I see a touching film I try to fight back the tears if I'm with someone I don't know too well. But there have been some movies that I just lost it and tears came streaming down my face, abeit silently in a darkened theater. I must say it is suprisingly cathartic on some level. Here are two I can think of:

1. As Good as it Gets- With Jack Nicholson playing an obsessive compulsive who courts a waitress, Helen Hunt. This film gets to me because its about Love as an elixer that can overcome any obstacle and bring ordinary people together. The scene at the end after they get back together and go into the bakery when it just opens just kills me.

2. A Wonderful Life - A Jimmy Stewart classic usually plays here every Christmas time. It's about redemption at it's most basic level and the faith that when you loose faith in yourself there will be people who will rescue you out of love. I loose it at the scene where all the neighbors and friends come and drop their piggybanks into the kitty - no questions asked.

OK Guys - under the guise of anonimity what movies have secretly made you cry and why?

2. TitanicJake

TitanicJake New Member

Field of Dreams

-I tear up at the end when the father & son play throw a baseball

3. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree with that one. Although, Band Of Brothers had several moments that got to me.
    And any documentary about W.W.I or W.W. II usually get me bawling
    like a baby.

4. jeepman87

jeepman87 New Member

Can't forget Brian's Song.

5. OmahaBeef

Gold Member

Ditto...

My list off the top of my head includes:

The Green Mile
    Rudy
    The Notebook
    Cinderella Man
    Saving Private Ryan

...OB

6. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't cry much, for all kinds of reasons I once wrote of, but the following make me kinda moist in the head.
    • The Subject was Roses
    • The last scene of Brokeback Mountain
    • Latter Days
    • Bits of Parenthood
    • (don't laugh) Ordinary People

7. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

Any really wretched movie - something on par with, say, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls - that I actually paid money to see.

For this excessive sensitivity I blame my Scots antecedents and Clan McFrugal.

8. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

9. palmit

palmit Member

I Am Sam and What Dreams May Come

10. earllogjam

Gold Member

Why guys? Why did the the movie make you cry? WHY?

Hopefully this thread will have more substance than a shopping list of movies to rent from Netfix.

11. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Not a guy but Sophie's Choice always gets me, I don't think anyone alive wouldn't have an inkling of how impossible and how soul destroying that would be. There are lots of films where someone dies but we can distance ourselves from them because we're not in that exact position of the one left behind, and Sophie's position is a lot further away from any real life position we're ever going to encounter, but somehow it's one that hits me in the guts.

12. palmit

palmit Member

I Am Sam
    Michelle Pfeiffer's speech, how everyone else gets it, but no matter how hard you seem to try you just can't seem to pull up, perfectly embodies that feeling of "not-good-enough." Not to mention Sam's daughter being taken away and watching him struggle through everyday life and trying to get her back, is amazing.

What Dreams May Come
    Refusing to except no for an answer, and believing that love can conquer all. Being willing to essentially die for his soul mate. The idea that connections people make last forever.

The Notebook
    Someone mentioned it above, and while I thought the movie was just awful compared to the book, it's still worth mentioning. It's simply a love story.

13. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    headbang8 wrote:
    • The Subject was Roses
    • The last scene of Brokeback Mountain
    • Latter Days
    • Bits of Parenthood
    • (don't laugh) Ordinary People
    Ordinary People is as close to a perfect movie as I have ever seen. I can hold it together until the last scene when the father and son express their love for each other.

The last scene of Brokeback Mountain is heart rending to me.

Another very touching film is The Sum of Us. Two scenes that hit me, in particular, are the hospital scene after the father has had the stroke and the last scene when the father's hopes for his son are realized. The whole situation of having had a stroke and being completely lucid but unable to talk and having limitied ways to influence events in the lives of those we love seems excruciating to me. It's a wonderful film about unconditional love. See it.

14. TitanicJake

TitanicJake New Member

Yeah Ordianry People was a tough one. I was a kid when that came out.

Field of Dreams was all about a wonderful second chance with your father. It just illustrates that your father's spirit is always with you. A man always needs his father especially when he is a father himself.

I had a tough time with Private Ryan. They were just boys fighting the war. When the one dude got stabbed slowly while his buddy was too afraid to go up the stairs. Damn. And the end the old guy says "Am I a good man?" I tear up.

My wife had on Bette Midler's Beaches the other night. I watched it with her. It was good, it made her cry but I didn't cry. It was sad at the end and made me think of friends I lost along the way but I didn't cry. I liked the songs.

Signs had a few scenes that were pretty sad. The dinner scene where Mel makes everyone's favorite dish and all they can do is sit there and cry for the loss of their mom. It was real, and it was sad.

I've had a few beers & just got laid so I am feeling kind of mellow.
    -Jake

15. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    Field Of Dreams makes me want to play catch with my dad, even while thinking about it now. It gets me choked up. Two recent movies that left me in a wreck were Flags Of Our Fathers (saw it a week early with a theater full of fellow Marines) and Letters From Iwo Jima (saw it by myself at its last showing in my area).

But...

The only movie that's really kicked my ass was Mr. Holland's Opus. I don't know that any of my fellow music students didn't cry about it, either.

I was partway through my music degree at the time, and to see my entire possible music career -- hell, my life -- thrown at me in less than two hours was just too much. My sister and I walked back to my car as she talked about it and I only responded with an occasional "mm hmm". We got in, I started the motor, and she said, "Are you okay?" I turned off the car, blurted out, "No...", and put my head on the steering wheel. We sat there in the car for a good half hour while I cried my eyes out.

16. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Old Yeller.

17. Andresito

Andresito Member

I don't cry.

I watched "Dancer In the Dark", "ET" and nothing.

BUT there's always an exception (or two)

1) When I was a kid (7 or 8 years maybe), "My Girl" (the scene of the funeral)

2) Recently, last year or 2005 I guess, "Mar Adentro", great movie.

And I always get a lil tearful (but no crying) when I watch Extreme Makeover, I JUST CAN'T GET OVER IT!!!

18. naughty

Gold Member

Wow Guys !

THese are some of my favorite films. I suppose the "weep appeal" is universal.

19. basketbulge

basketbulge Member

Albums:
    For reasons already mentioned, I wailed during Field of Dreams.

I also bawled during Terms of Endearment when Debra Winger's dying character says goodbye to her youngest son from her hospital bed.

20. rugbydude

rugbydude New Member

Beautiful downtown Cape Town in sunny South Africa
    why hasn't anyone mentioned Braveheart?! that he still fought and believed DESPITE being betrayed, abandoned, forsaken and widowed?! all alone and STILL carried on? or Ghost? saw it just after my parents died..final scene where they DO get 2 say goodbye? or Steel Magnolias? graveyard scene where Sally Field finally expresses anger at dying before Julia Roberts? or final Love scene of Moulin Rouge?

Draft saved Draft deleted