Movies that Make Men Cry

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There was a movie from Brazil called "Central Station" about a orphaned kid who's mother is run over by a bus who takes up with a letter writer at the train station that just wrenched my heart. The letter writer (she transcribes letters for Brazil's many illiterate at the train station for a fee) is this severely jaded wreck of a person worn down by the evils of the city who grudgingly helps Jose, the orphaned kid, find his brothers and father. And through helping him is transformed herself into a hopeful reborn woman.

The movie is about giving part of yourself to rediscover a part of yourself youv'e lost. Wonderful. Wow what an excellent film. Magic.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I cried when I saw Philadelphia. The last part of the movie I left before the credits rolled. I didn't buy the film either. Anything dealing with AIDS and death--I don't even bother owning.

I don't normally own such movies either, but when I found And The Band Played On in a store, I felt like I was obligated to purchase it.

I once ran across it while flipping channels alone at a friend's place, and I didn't know what it was. When they got to the first hospital patient, I had to switch it off -- I was afraid to watch it alone. My mother has been doing volunteer work for the past 15+ years at her local AIDS clinic, and the movie hit a little too close to home.

rubberwilli

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Long Time Companion, Torch Song Trilogy, Philadephia, It's My Party, etc.... they all get me everytime because I think of friends I've lost.

"Rent" the movie - I'd never seen the broadway production, and it got me for the same reasons as the above. They play songs from it every monday night at Showtunes night at the local video bar and everybody sings along. It's just like a big anthem of love.

"Silverlake Life" - a documentary shot by a film professor as he is dying of AIDS. It's just so beautifully made, gripping, and horribly real. Not for the squemish. When his lover finds him dead in the morning and films his last few moments as he is saying goodbye to his partner before he calls the ambulance. Absolutley heart wrenching.. Then when the ashes arrive back from the creamtorium.

Brokeback Mountain - the final scene. (Not to long ago they actually auctioned off the shirt from that scene as part of a benefit. It got a huge amount of money if I remember correctly.)

To Wong Foo - "I know that I have a lady friend who has an adams apple." I don't know why. I think it was that he had found acceptance finally.

The Hours - I actually said out loud "NO!" and started bawling when they connected the two stories and I realized that Ed Harris was Julianne Moore's son all grown up...just cut me to the heart. I hadn't figured it out until that point for some reason, it was just cruel fate I guess.

Saving Private Ryan - I think I started crying about a quarter through the opening scene on Omaha beach...it was just so raw and real and death was everywhere. I remember sinking in my seat, actually hiding from it all. I went to see it one my own and I kept thinking about my grandfather and that this was a war that he fought in. It was the first time that the rality of war like that had set in on me. It overwhelmed my senses.

The Queen - It's really more a combination of the music and the imagery. There's a point, I think during Diana's funeral, where they play "Libera Me" from Verdi's Requiem. I teared up.

Titanic - I fought so hard not to cry when Jack slipped below the waves, and turned to find my straight male friends were crying. I lost it when they alluded to Rose's death at sea and that she had re-joined Jack over Titanic.

It's not a movie, but almost every episode of Extreme Make-Over Home Edition gets me.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
A lot of war movies get me. Saving Private Ryan was big, although I remember sobbing more in We Were Soldiers. I was sitting next to this little Cambodian guy from work and we both sobbed through the whole movie. The unnecessariness of the whole thing. Trying to take one hill or another and the human cost on both sides - typically the other side gets it ten to one over the Americans.

For some reason Titanic did it for me too. I loved how they depicted the arc of that woman's life, even though I knew the Kate Winslet character was fictional.

I almost sobbed out loud in last year's Superman many times. I think it is because Superman was so intrinsically good. He never showed a desire for retribution or lectured anyone. He only tried to fix everything and save people from all the stupid dangerous things that people do. I think a lot of people were emotional. At least it was very quiet in the theater.

I think I did sob out loud when Spiderman saved everyone on the runaway elevated train and shocked passengers pull his limp body back in the train. "He's only a boy(!)" I consider the Spiderman fights too violent because I know almost every kid in the world will watch the movies, but I still can't wait for May 4th.

I actually like to cry in the movies. I consider it cathartic. It's dark, anonymous and who gives a rat's ass?

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I almost sobbed out loud in last year's Superman many times. I think it is because Superman was so intrinsically good. He never showed a desire for retribution or lectured anyone. He only tried to fix everything and save people from all the stupid dangerous things that people do. I think a lot of people were emotional. At least it was very quiet in the theater.

I got teary-eyed at Superman, too, but it was mainly happiness. It was when he set down the airliner in the baseball stadium in front of a packed crowd. It was so, well, Super -- it was the kind of moment I hadn't seen on the big screen in YEARS. My friend looked at me and she said, "You're really enjoying this, aren't you?" God, it was so cool.

BlackIsKingSize

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
The most recent movie to get me teary-eyed was SpiderMan 2. The scene where he stops the l-train and passes out and the passengers carry him inside. Everyone sees that this superhero who they've loved/hated/feared/cheered/etc is just a young kid willing to give everything he had to save people, giving up any fame or reward by keeping his identity secret, just because it's the right thing to do. And right at the end where he finally gets the girl even after doing the right thing and giving her up she comes back to him and takes a stand that he deserves to be happy too and she was determined to be there for him. When they hear those sirens in the distance and she just says "Go get 'em, tiger" without a moment's hesitation she's just about the most perfect woman ever.

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've dropped my chin, choked up, and even teared up before, but the only scene that has ever made me cry is the moment in Diary of a Mad Black Woman when the former drug addict opens the door of the church and sings her way down the aisle toward her little girl and her husband.

I own the DVD. That scene never fails to make me cry. It's something about the depth of the redemption, on so many levels....

NCbear (who's often powerfully affected by movies, but even more so by some writers)

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've dropped my chin, choked up, and even teared up before, but the only scene that has ever made me cry is the moment in Diary of a Mad Black Woman when the former drug addict opens the door of the church and sings her way down the aisle toward her little girl and her husband.

I own the DVD. That scene never fails to make me cry. It's something about the depth of the redemption, on so many levels....

NCbear (who's often powerfully affected by movies, but even more so by some writers)

That's kinda like the scene in "The Color Purple" where Shug Avery starts striding to church singing with the choir within, opens the door, walks to her father the preacher, embraces him and says," See daddy, even sinners have soul!"

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Brother Bear made me cry to, but now I can't remember why. Something about coming back from the dead and springtime. Sort of the Obi Wan Kenobi guardian angel effect.

quarkGLS

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I agree with so many of those listed already, but then I'm a soft touch. I almost went into the "ugly cry" during "The Color Purple" and "It's My Party".

The most recent movies were "The Namesake" and "The Wind That Shakes The Barley".

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not a movie in this case, but when I went to see it this past week, parts of A Chorus Line got me choked up, and for various reasons, too.

WAPITI

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Schindler's List: I barely can finish looking at it.

I allways get tears in my eyes just hearing that theme song ( that violin is killing me). Also the films Nurnberg, Sophie Scholl and Downfall made me cry at some point. especially in Nurnberg when they show the real films that are made inside Auswitch ...when I saw that truck driving over and through the corpses as if it was a pile of sand, i had to leave the room,... i was so disgusted with mankind at that point...

also the end of armageddon was a earfull moment ( daddy no)

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Aeris' death scene lol. I didn't cry but I know lads who did! :eek:

A sad film was called Simon Birch...one of those I can't stand to watch. I think I cried at the Navigator too, when I was younger.

I think I cried at Lord of The Flies too when that fat kid got crushed by the boulder.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What a great thread! (I wasn't here to see it first time around)

Big surprise! I had no idea that men could cry at movies!

My oldest son is the only male I've EVER seen crying at a movie... and I thought it was because he was a big softie like his mom.

So I want to know, if men crying at movies is potentially THIS widespread, :tongue:, then how do men HIDE crying at a movie?

Or do you just watch sad movies on DVD?